šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GYaccino
    Participant

On the advice of our breeder, we are feeding adult food (she used Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach-we used our other dog’s brand, Blue Wilderness Salmon) to our 6 month old pup. He developed diarrhea two weeks ago and we switched to the rice and boiled chicken diet until things got better and attempted to gradually reintroduce the kibble. When we hit 1/4 cup of dry, the diarrhea started again. Back to the rice and chicken until clear two days, and then tried a new kibble, this time Core Wellness. Same thing-after we hit the 1/4 dry, back to the diarrhea. He has checked out negative for parasites and finished an antibiotic for some bacteria in his stool sample the first time. Can anybody suggest a dry food that is easier on the digestive system? This boy needs to fill out!

#27679 Report Abuse
    Murphysmom
    Participant

GYaccino, we are having the same trouble with our 16 week old golden puppy. Wondering what has happened for you? WHat food did you switch to and has it made a difference? Our puppy is on Wellness Core puppy and honestly he’s been a bit loose since we transitioned him to this at 8 weeks. Getting to the end of the bag, thinking we should transition to something else now.

#27684 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi guys,

I’m a fellow Golden owner and my pup, Sam, is almost 18 months old.

First of all, I have to say that Goldens are a large breed puppy and they have special dietary needs as a result.

I strongly suggest that you visit this thread in the DFA forum area as it has lots of great information about the special needs of a large breed puppy: /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

Here’s a great list of foods recommended for growing large breed pups, like both of yours:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFQXNYZW01VzRVV00/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

NutriSource makes a LBP formula with an appropriate Calcium level ,that is grain inclusive, that’s very well-tolerated by pups with sensitive stomachs. NutriSource is a good quality, budget friendly food that’s generally easy to find in the stores and online. You won’t see it in the list that I gave you because it’s grain inclusive though and the list consists entirely of grain free foods. You can, and should, offer fresh additional sources of protein, such as tinned sardines.

You must carefully choose a food with an appropriate Calcium level to avoid excess bone growth while yours is a fast growing puppy. Excessive bone growth contributes to skeletal disorders including hip dysplasia. In addition to controlling Calcium, keep your pup lean and avoid overfeeding and over-exercising.

Once your pup reaches at least 80% of his adult size, Calcium isn’t nearly the concern it is when he’s a puppy.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by DogFoodie.
    #27686 Report Abuse
    Murphysmom
    Participant

Thanks for your response Betsy, I really appreciate! For some reason, these google docs won’t come up on my computer. Any chance you can email it to me?? sandy.whaley@me.com

#27688 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Murphysmom,

Try this…

Click on the “Forum: tab on the red bar above. Then click on “Diet & Health,” then scroll down a bit to “Large & Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition.” The documents that I posted links for are all one the first page of the thread.

#27690 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Murphysmom,

Check your email, including your SPAM folder. : )~

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.