šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christie B

My 10 year old American Bulldog mix has food and environmental allergies. Paw licking, face rubbing, excessive drooling…it’s worse in the Spring and Fall but sometimes changes in diet can trigger a few days long reaction. The vet told me to give him 5 1mg Benedryl twice daily when he shows symptoms and if he’s drooling excessively to give him a Pepcid twice daily.

10 Benedryl pills a day seems crazy. I know my dog is large at 120 pounds, but an adult human is only supposed to take 1-2 pills daily. Do dogs process the drug differently? Two pills twice daily has always ceased the licking and rubbing. I’m afraid to give him 5 at a time.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Christie B.
    #125600 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Human Benadryl is 25 mg, not 1 mg. But please, call your vet and verify the directions and dosage. By what you say, if you were given 1 mg tablets (I don’t know if there is such a thing), then you’re only giving him 5 mg twice a day.

#125618 Report Abuse
    Christie B

You’re right. I started writing something else and didn’t correct that sentence. My vet said 1mg per 1 lb. body weight. He said since my dog is so big to go out to Costco’s and buy a big bottle of human Benedryl because he’d need 5 pills twice daily. So yes, my mistake, he want me to give him 250 mg per day. I just think it’s a lot, but all internet searches show the 1 mg per 1 lb. dosage.

Once, when his itching was very bad, I gave him 3 pills. The itching stopped but he was completely lethargic for hours. I know when I take 1 pill, I’n ready for a nap a short time later. I didn’t trust going the 3-5 pill route in the morning when I’d have to leave him home alone to go to work.

#125771 Report Abuse
    FurMomX3

25 mg per 20 lb ,twice daily is the normal doseage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.