🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    samlover

Our terrier mix was on Royal Canin HP for years, and we recently tried to switch to Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato (12/31/12). We transitioned correctly, and at first the only issue was an increase in the amount of stool and the frequency in needing to go, along with very strong sulfur like gas. Acana told me that switching to a higher protein food does that, and they explained it very well. Well now, 5 weeks later, he has an upset tummy (stomach making crazy sounds and solid stool followed by diarrhea) and then had some formed but very soft stool, and even pooped in the house last night (formed stool) which he never, ever has done before. I am suspecting a food intolerance, which confuses me because we have always given him plain chicken to ease upset stomach, and potato was in his other food. I have him on plain chicken and white rice for a few days waiting for the Acana Duck and Pear I ordered…hoping that since Duck is a novel protein he was do well on it. Planning on giving it to him with some pureed pumpkin at first per Mike’s instructions. Has anyone else had food intolerance issues with an Acana variety and then had better luck with a different type of Acana or Single protein Acana?

#13961 Report Abuse

Hi there-

My crew eats all varieties of the Acana, and Ii generally don’t have problems with it. They will however get funny stool if on the Pacifica for too long(soft). While a higher protein food can cause the gas, imo, so can a food that does not agree with them. Some of my crew get the sulfur gas on lamb based foods(and they are lower protein than the Acana) and recently on Merrick grain free-that was coupled by vomiting as well for a few of them. My new policy is that I need to breath the air and it simply must be sulfur bomb free, lol. When it happens, I have not found that it clears up anytime soon, so I simply nix the offending food from future rotations. You might also consider going with a variety that is lower fat as I find that affects my dogs’ stool. The lamb/apple is only 15 or 16 percent, whilst the other two are 17%.

#14004 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

To add to Melissa’s post….Acana also contains botanicals which might be bothersome for some dogs. Just a consideration. 🙂 Btw, we’re now trying the Duck and Pear and the Lamb and Apple (had an issue with Merrick recently and needed something new). We’ll let everyone know later how it goes. I hope it goes well.

#14008 Report Abuse
    samlover

thanks for the responses, guys! going out to get him pumpkin today-just took him out and his poop was super foul, loose, and there was some mucus and a small bit on red blood. He has had the small amount of blood before when he had some stress issues, so I figure this is just from inflammation. Otherwise he is acting fine and normal!

#14191 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

Have you gone to your vet to get it checked out? Blood in the stool tells me something else may be going on, as that’s not normal when changing foods.

#14200 Report Abuse

Dogs can have a small tinge of blood in the stool if they have been straining from either constipation or diarrhea. I agree however, and a vet should check the stool for parasites as well. That extremely foul odor often occurs with IBS issues as well as small intestinal bacteria overgrowth from my experience.

#14251 Report Abuse
    samlover

Sammy goes to the vet every 2 months for a CBC, and he has a history of colitis with dietary issues and stress, so the streak of blood wasn’t too concerning. I did call his vet and he does want to see him if it doesn’t clear up, but on the flip side we don’t want to stress him out and increase make the issue worse…catch 22. He has been eating pumpkin, rice, and boiled chicken for a few days now, and I’m anxiously awaiting his poop to see if it’s more solid (I know that sounds gross-but it’s true!) Once he clears up, I guess I will introduce the new duck and pear Acana with some pumpkin/chicken and see how it goes. If it’s a no-go, I guess we’re going back to Royal Canin HP. Thanks guys-wish us luck lol!

#14764 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had similar issues using Acana with my Yorkie. I noticed that the stools were darker than normal. Then within a week I started him on the Acana, it was blood. He couldn’t fully get his poo out and when I pull it out, it was a string of blood….and off to the Vet I go. They told me it was too rich for him and he needed to have some carbs in his diet, of which Acana has none and is too high in protein for the Yorkshire Terrier breeds.

#14769 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Your dog needed more fiber, that’s all. By the way, Acana does have carbs, it’s just not mostly carbs, which dogs don’t need anyway. They can break down fats into sugars relatively easy.

#14770 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Wow, veggienut, that sounds terrible! I don’t know if it’s the food, but I do know a couple of people with Yorkies and they both feed high protein foods to them and they do fine. Foods like Acana, Fromm grain free, etc. And I’ve been feeding Acana Duck for about 2 weeks now and my dogs are doing well on it. I’m also topping with either Primal FD or Stella & Chewy’s FD and adding probiotics (which I do to any food I feed). I do believe that some dogs may need certain percentages of things or certain supplements depending on their overall health issues but, I’m sorry, I don’t think certain breeds need foods made for “Yorkies”, “Poodles”, etc. For instance, I have Cavaliers and they’re known for heart problems so I sometimes supplement with things that benefit the heart, like coq10, hawthorn, taurine, l-carnitine, etc. I have an old mixed breed and she has bladder problems so I give her a urinary supplement. If certain breeds need to eat certain brands/foods made just for them, then where is the “Cavalier” food? I’m not trying to be rude, just my opinion. Also, you state your Yorkie needs carbs in his diet and Acana has none….it really does, because all kibble has to have some carb binder to hold it together. Some may have more than others, and of course there are different kinds of carbs to use. The fact is that not one food will work for all dogs, so I just think that Acana may not work for your Yorkie. Perhaps in the future, when his digestion settles down, you can find a different food to try for him that is better quality than RC.

#14780 Report Abuse
    samlover

We are very slowly transitioning Sammy to Acana duck and pear right now. Since we didn’t have a food to use to transition him properly due to his apparent intolerance of the chicken and potato, I’m still using boiled chicken and pumpkin puree with the dog food-he thinks he’s in heaven lol. So far so good…keeping our fingers crossed this works. He did have some baaaad gas the other day and I was worried we were going down the intolerance path again, but his poop has been solid and blood free so far!

#14781 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If he’s gassy try supplementing with probiotics and digestive enzymes.

#14783 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The probiotic and digestive enzymes are great to add whenever you are transitioning to a new food.

#14784 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Samlover: maybe I’m missing something but if you think your dog has an intolerance to chicken, why are you using boiled chicken?

#14827 Report Abuse
    sharyorkie
    Participant

Hi. This is to Veggienut. I have had the same problem with my Yorkies What works for your yorkie?? I REALLY need to find a great dry kibble that they will eat and not give them loose stools!

#109520 Report Abuse
    Max and Lucy

How old is your dog? It is my understanding, that just like people, when dogs get older they need less fat and more fiber.My old(10 year) aussie had blood as well. Switched to royal canin because I was desperate. I don’t like the food or the ingredients ,however it did solidify problems.I’m going to try acana for senior and if need be ,add a teaspoon of pumpkin to up the fiber. I have a puppy on Acana(puppy formula) and she is doing well. It is such a concern when our furry friends are sick.Best of luck to all!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.