🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DieselJunki

So I’m sure you have read my many posts now. Moose’s ankle is doing much better and over the weekend in the splint his leg seems to be completely better and the orthopedic surgeon said there was no sign of the growth plate being out of place. She said to keep him from jumping around on it as much as possible for 2 weeks just to be sure.

Anyways. I finally found the Nature’s Variety Rabbit! I am now mixing that with the Wysong I had bought so as not to waste (Anyone feed Wysong Epigen Original notice it has a chemically smell to it?). However following the directions on the back of the bag of the NV a puppy between 16-25lbs should have 1 5/8 – 2 5/8 cups. For the sake of measuring I just feed 2 cups ( I haven’t had him long enough to figure out if this is to little or to much yet, honestly I’m really not sure how I would tell if I am feeding to much ). He weighs 19lbs now. The ONLY time I can get him to eat everything in his bowl is when I put a soft food topper on it like the NV Rabbit Soft Food (I use half a can at a time when I do). I don’t want to do this every time I feed (I feed 3 times a day) because I want to be careful about his calcium intake and such but it is the ONLY time he will eat everything. Otherwise he barely eats a full cup.

What do I do?

#12685 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi again!

If you’re just using the canned as a mix in I wouldn’t be too concerned about the calcium. A trick to stretch the canned out is take just a couple spoonfuls, mash it up, mix in some warm water to make a liquid and stir in the kibble and coat it all in the liquid. If you can find it Tripett is great for a topper and can get even the most finicky dogs to eat – a little goes a long way. Also, since it’s just canned green tripe the calcium levels are very low. It’s not a bad thing if you have to add canned food to get him to eat, canned food is (generally) much healthier and more species-appropriate than dry food.

#12694 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

Thanks Hound Dog Mom. I don’t know what I’d do without you! 😀

#12714 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

Found a store 30 minutes away that had the Tripett. Got a 12 pack so I wouldn’t have to go back. Moose absolutely LOVES it. I did just as you said and put a few spoonfuls and mixed in some warm water, put the food in, stirred it around, set the bowl down and he didn’t pick his head up until the whole bowl was gone.

I also got some of the Answers Goats Milk. I was staying away from it as I don’t have a freezer (Live in a hotel because I travel working for the pipeline) but the man at the store said even after leaving it in the fridge for 4 or 5 days and it chunks up, dogs love it all the better. Haven’t added it to his food yet as it is still thawing.

#12719 Report Abuse
    Rambo and Fancy
    Participant

LOL, my outside big dogs LOVE sour milk, the chunkier the better.

My babies on the other hand get pickier everyday. She won’t eat out of the glass bowl, so I started putting it on a paper plate, does a little better. Her brother will eat just a little bit from the bowl or paperplate, but they both prefer the kibble right on the floor….I think they just want me to interact with them while they eat….eating out of my hand is even better then the floor. 🙂 Luckily they both weigh less then 4 pounds.

#12721 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Glad to hear the Tripett worked! I figured it would, I have yet to hear of a dog that turns their nose up at green tripe.

#12846 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Yeah, not even Prince Poodle will turn down tripe. I buy the dried kind for him as snacks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.