šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KiraLynB
    Participant

Hi, we have been feeding our bichon puppy raw food since we brought her home at 8 weeks. She has had some diarrhea problems here and there, and her stools are pretty much always soft. How long is the transition period for her tummy to get used to her new diet?
    It is very messy! lol
    We were feeding her Stella and Chewy’s frozen raw Duck, Rabbit
    BARF store was out this week so now she is on Vital Essentials Rabbit.
    She is also on EBarf from barfworld as I read somewhere it would help. I’m not sure if it is helping at this point.
    Is it okay for me to switch from Stella and Chewy’s to Vital Essentials? The store owner told me it was fine.. but I’m assuming she said that because she was out?

#25902 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Switching to different foods is actually healthy. Try adding 1/2 teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin to her meals to see if that firms her up. She might be one of those dogs that needs a little more fiber. The pumpkin can be frozen into icecubes and stored in a ziplock in the freezer so it doesn’t go bad before you need it.

Also, if one of her foods doesn’t have tripe in it, find a good probiotic to add to her food. Once a day for a week or so then a couple times a week.

#25972 Report Abuse
    KiraLynB
    Participant

I will try the pumpkin. Thank you!
    This is the ingredient list in Stella and Chewy’s http://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-frozenduck.php
    It doesn’t have tripe, but I feed her freeze dried green lamb tripe as well. Left that out.. sorry!
    Is the freeze dried sufficient? The store that I buy her food from does sell frozen green tripe.
    This is the ingredients in the ebarf… it has probiotics and enzymes:

Ingredients: Organic Dried Kelp, Organic Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Dried Yeast, Organic Dried Ground Barley Grass, Organic Dried Ground Wheatgrass, Oat Bran, Dried Ground Barley Malt, Organic Dried Apple Pumice, Pectin, Organic Dried Ground Beet, Dried Ground Parsley, Dried Ground Barley Sprout, Dried Ground Aloe Vera Gel, Organic Dried Ground Carrot, Organic Dried Ground Broccoli, Organic Dried Ground Tomato, Organic Dried Ground Kale, Dried Ground Celery, Dried Ground Cauliflower, Dried Ground Asparagus, Dried Ground Brussels Sprouts, Dried Ground Garlic, Dried Ground Ginger, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Extract, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bifodobacterium longum Fermentation Extract, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Extract, and Bacillus subtilus Fermentation Extract (Source of Amylase, Cellulase, and Hemi-Cellulase)

Let me know if you have any other suggestions! I’m really tired of cleaning her all the time! Poor baby!

#26008 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I look for raw green tripe or feed the probiotic with the most number of different strains I can find. Supposedly, probiotics can handle freeze drying and being frozen. All my tripe comes frozen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.