šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve T

Hi I have a dog that the vet and breeder recommended 26% and under protein content. Do any of you have suggestions? This would have to be dry food. I’d like to have a 30lbs under $55 or so.

Thanks

#131248 Report Abuse
    Steve T

I’d also like for there to be grains. So no grain free.

#131249 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-family-classic-adult-dog-food

$41.26 for 33 lbs (today’s price) Grain inclusive.

You won’t go wrong (imo), use this as a base, add a tablespoon or more of cooked chopped chicken meat or canned food. A splash of water and always have fresh water available 24/7

I feed a quality kibble as the base, about 2/3rds of the diet, I add a little chopped boiled chicken, plain chicken broth or water, sometimes scrambled egg or a little tuna or something.
    My chicken broth recipe /forums/topic/grain-free-2/#post-109751

For science based veterinary medicine go here http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

Check with your vet if you don’t believe me, most vets speak highly of Fromm.
    PS: Feed twice a day, measured amounts (don’t leave food down/free feed). Maybe an occasional snack.

#131251 Report Abuse
    Sanne

Take a look at Victor Select dog food. Awesome stuff. Their Beef, Chicken, Lamb, and Ocean formulas are all 23-26% protein and grain inclusive. These are typically $40-$50 for 40 lb bags or around $25 for 15 lb, depends on store/location. Some of their Classic Multigrain formulas meet your needs too and are typically even a bit cheaper

#131252 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Victor’s is good just like Sanne said. Also Holistic select and health extensions is good, but a little more money.

#131253 Report Abuse
    Steve T
    #131254 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I would stay away from small companies, new companies and boutique type foods.

Fromm has been around since the 1940’s

Fromm cannot be bought at chewy. What does that tell you?

PS: None of the foods you mentioned appeal to me. Never heard of Victor till I came on this forum and I have no interest in trying it.
    Holistic Select sounds boutiqey.
    Companies that have been around a long time are more likely to do testing and have a veterinary nutritionist on staff.

#131255 Report Abuse
    Sanne

Someone on a forum having not heard of Victor before doesnā€™t say much about the brand. It is also quite an old brand, around since 1950 or so…

#131257 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Out of everything mentioned here Iā€™d go with Fromm, canidae, or victor. Canidae is excellent. I always recommend it. Itā€™s a great company who grows their own produce and sources most of their meat from family farms.
    However I must ask. Why have u been told such a low protein? Does your dog have some health problem that requires it?

#131258 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

My dogs do excellent on Victor.

#131261 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Steve seems like you picked good ones. Those are good and also what the others mentioned are good too. I know that doesn’t help b/c too many choices. I been there too. I don’t know what would be best, but they are all good foods.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.