đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

#159983 Report Abuse
WondrousPups
Participant

Wow! You really tried e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g! Hats off to you for your dedication. There is no doubt you’ve extended your pup’s life. I didn’t know “Pet Health and Nutrition” website. I just now checked out the two tincture blends you’ve mentioned. I’m happy to say that I was on a same track with the master herbalist who formulated these. I am doubtful though that Ashwagandha in the adrenal blend is strong enough to be therapeutic. Ashwagandha and Astragalus are difficult to get therapeutic amount in tincture, and needs long term daily use to be effective. Eleuthero is very stimulating, so it would be counter productive to anxiety issue. Umm… I don’t know. This blend looks to me like formulated for very weakened animal who doesn’t have much energy or appetite. I remember you saying your pup tends to be always hungry. I agree with inclusion of Ashwagandha and Astragalus, but other ingredients might affect negatively as a whole for your particular situation with your pup.

Since you have been trying so many different remedies without real success, it might be good idea not to add anything new until evaluating other factors before. So, what factors do you think is most important in determining health?

A. Genetics
B. Medical care
C. Environmental factors and social circumstances
D. Life style (personal behavior)

The answer is – D! It counts for 40%! A (genetics) for 30% or less, C for 20%, and B (medical care) is 10%.

With that said, eating healing foods is a part of a healthy life style, so if you’d like to try turmeric (or any other herbs), I recommend whole foods approach. The way I started out for my pups are infusion into coconut cream and mixing it with kibble for every day at dinner time. I like this turmeric chai blend from Mountain Rose Herb: https://mountainroseherbs.com/turmeric-chai or you can do a simpler homemade – coconut milk/cream + 1 tsp turmeric powder + 1/2 tsp ginger powder + 1/8 freshly ground black pepper. Black pepper is not optional because perperine in black pepper make any nutrients from food more bio-available in general, but turmeric in particular, it makes curcumin (active component in turmeric) 2,000% more bio-available than without. The turmeric chai taste good with a touch of honey for me, but my dogs likes it savory with food. If your pup does not have any bad reaction to it, then you can increase potency of turmeric. The recommended safe dosage of curcumin is about 600 mg for 50 lb. dog. Curcumin in Turmeric is 3%. For maintenance dosage, even for people, 1 g/day of turmeric is theraputic. Unless you are dealing with a sever chronic pain, I don’t think mega dosing is necessary.

I hope this can get you started on turmeric!

As for aroma therapy, no, I haven’t tried it, but I do use essential oils for flea and tick control instead of putting pesticides on my pups. So not healthy! I do agree with what you said about dogs can sniff and choose what’s good for them. My dogs volunteer grazing young shoots of herbs by sniffing!