Vet wants dog off food containing potato and any legumes

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Vet wants dog off food containing potato and any legumes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Joann H

Due to the FDA report our vet wants out dog off his regular food (contains potatoes) FDA report states potatoes and legumes could be cause of a certain heart issue. Should trust him rignt? He is the med professional . Our poor dog has issues with chicken, eggs and dairy. So we are at a loss as to what good quality food we can get. Purina (cringe) focus is the only thing as yet we could find, but it only scored a 2.5 ugh

#148127 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

I wouldn’t worry at the moment. It’s a small handful of dogs affected and there is still so little understood about what is happening to these few dogs.
    If you are seriously concerned schedule and echo of your dogs heart and send findings to the fda so they have more info to go on. The fda is suggesting to not switch foods as it is of little concern right now. Some of the foods these affected dogs were eating included purina, hills, and other big brands with grains as well.
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/truth-grain-free-dog-foods-dcm/
    This article gives a non bias view of the issue at hand.
    Bottom line, don’t switch. Have an echo done if you’re seriously concerned. Report findings and go from there

#148129 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Joann H

A echocardiogram is not always necessary to detest signs of DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) I think your vet would have suggested it if he thought it or additional testing was warranted.

Regarding dog food, ask your vet about this one. The ingredients that you are concerned about are not in the first 10.
    https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-four-star-nutritionals-salmon-a-la-veg-food-for-dogs
    I have a sensitive dog that does well on this formula.

Yes, I would trust your vet, he is the veterinary healthcare professional that has examined your dog.

#148130 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #148132 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

An echo and blood testing is THE ONLY WAY to check the inside of your dog and their heart. It’s also much more helpful to know if a food with potato is indeed having a negative effect on your dog or not. Much more helpful than just willy nilly changing foods.

#148137 Report Abuse
    anonymous

A good vet can determine what diagnostic tests are indicated, IF DCM IS SUSPECTED.
    Average cost of a canine echo $300. Average cost to have a taurine level done $200.

How is this disease diagnosed? https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach/Pet-Health-Topics/categories/diseases/dilated-cardiomyopathy-in-dogs (excerpt below)
    “A cardiac exam by a veterinarian can detect abnormal heart sounds (when present) and many signs of heart failure. Usually chest radiographs (x-rays), an electrocardiogram (ECG), and echocardiogram are performed to confirm a suspected diagnosis and to assess severity. Echocardiography also can be used to screen for early DCM in breeds with a higher incidence of the disease. Resting and 24-hour (Holter) ECGs are sometimes used as screening tests for the frequent arrhythmias that usually accompany DCM in some breeds, especially boxers and Doberman pinchers”.

Updated June 27, 2019 https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy (excerpt below)
    “In July 2018, the FDA announced that it had begun investigating reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods, many labeled as “grain-free,” which contained a high proportion of peas, lentils, other legume seeds (pulses), and/or potatoes in various forms (whole, flour, protein, etc.) as main ingredients (listed within the first 10 ingredients in the ingredient list, before vitamins and minerals)”.

#148288 Report Abuse
    Nadia K
    Participant

Joann,
    I just ordered this for my pup. Haven’t tried it yet as she still has some of her other food left. It was recommended to me by some members of another dog forum.
    https://www.chewy.com/american-natural-premium-turkey/dp/204685

#148289 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Some false information about that product. I contacted Fromm myself.
    Please see my post.

/forums/topic/american-natural-premium/

#148291 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Fromm Customer Service Team
    Fromm FAMILY FOODS | Mequon Office
    13145 Green Bay Road
    Mequon, WI 53097
    Phone 800-325-6331
    Below is NOT TRUE. Contact Fromm if you don’t believe me.

“Could you please tell me “Who” manufactures this product, I know it’s in one of the oldest manufactures in the Midwest, but Who manufactures this”??
    “American Natural Premium pet foods are co-packed for the company by Fromm which has several USDA-inspected pet food manufacturing plants in Wisconsin”.
    By on Aug 22, 2019 https://www.chewy.com/american-natural-premium-turkey/dp/204685

#148330 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Joann,

I would work *with* your vet to select a food that your dog will do well on. You need to have open, two way dialogue, and discuss your concerns and questions.

I think that it’s wise that your vet recommended avoiding high legume/potato foods in light of DCM concerns and ongoing research. My vets recommended similarly. It’s just an unnecessary risk for most dogs at this time.

Ditto foods with the most unusual/exotic proteins, like kangaroo or rabbit. (Lamb, either lamb & rice or lamb & legumes, especially low meat protein and high ash or fiber, also are riskier.) All of this is especially true in foods from sketchier companies, ones with less safe long term history for their formulas and/or less nutritional expertise in formulating.

Dogs need nutrients. Dogs DON’T need to eat any *particular* food ingredient, whether legumes (like peas or lentils) or potatoes or a grain like corn or any particular meat. So they lose nothing by ditching one or more of these ingredients and choosing an alternative at this time.

Yes, you can find a number of foods without chicken, dairy, or eggs. I’ve been feeding grain inclusive and free of all 7 top dog food allergens (which include chicken, dairy, eggs ), following a food allergy diet elimination trial. Currently, I’m feeding fish based foods. You can look through these forums for chicken-free foods, especially under DCM threads, and then check to see if they include eggs. (Dairy is far less common an ingredient in dog foods.)

How well do you know your vet? I think that if you don’t trust your vet, have confidence in your vet, that’s a problem. In that case, you need to either find a different vet or work on building your relationship with your vet in order to have good discussions, which you then can feel good about, trust in. Talk things through with your vet. Express your concerns. My vet and I discuss everything and reach decisions together.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t just go see ANY vet or blindly trust what any vet says just because he is a DVM. There are good and bad vets out there, and ones with more and less experience/knowledge and passion.

p.s. Looking toward the long term, I would talk to your vet about issues you believe your dog to have with chicken, eggs, dairy in foods. Do a strict diet elimination trial and re-challenge at some point, using a prescription food or homemade, to confirm that you must avoid these foods. It will make your life easier.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by GSDsForever.
    #148337 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Just as an aside to all, as I see it mentioned by others above . . .

There appears to be quite a range across the country in cost for an echocardiogram.

It starts at ~$550 in my state, for the test alone from a veterinary cardiologist.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.