Rachel ray zero grain – making dog sick??

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Rachel ray zero grain – making dog sick??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Claire

My dog has been on Rachel ray zero grain for awhile now. (Probably 5 months) The last month or so he’s been pretty miserable. The vet was convinced that it was a result of exposure to pesticides (my lovely condo complex didn’t put up signs they sprayed). My dog (2 year old rescue cocker) had bloody diarrhea, started vomiting, was lethargic, dehydrated – the whole nine yards. Testing showed high WBC, low platelets, and high liver enzymes. We put him on a prescription diet to help with his stomach (hills i/d). He went back to normal after about a week. Blood counts stabilized. No vomiting. Normal poos.

This was 4th of July weekend.

Recently transitioned him back to his normal food – rr zero grain. And the same bag as before that was opened probably a week prior to the original incident. Blood started showing up in his poo again. Back to the vet this morning. Got an alarming call from the vet (I dropped him off) that he had an accident and he pooped an alarming amount of blood. He’s currently getting a battery of new tests. I’m very worried. I’m also obviously going to throw this food out ASAP but I have the bag with the lot number in a sealed container. Has anyone else had this problem with this food?! I’m very, very concerned. And now I’m probably looking at $1000 of vet bills over a 4 week period. I just want my little man better.

I’m assuming he’s going back on the prescription food at this point. I just want to know of anyone has had similar experiences of has any recommendations. If he does have to go back to regular food I recently became a bjs wholesale member and will put him on earth pride duck and veggies which is a 5 star food and has good reviews.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Keep your fingers crossed for my little guy.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Claire. Reason: Spelling
    #48280 Report Abuse

Susan

Hi Clarie, Its probably an ingredient in the Rachel Ray that he either cant digest or the fat% or protein% is too high, compare this with his Hills i/d prescription diet kibble & see, Im trying the Wellness Simple at the moment, when you try a new kibble try to stay around the same fat% & protein % as the vet prescription diet & see how the little man goes, I was speaking to a nutritionist the other day about all Patches health problems,
    I rescued him 20months ago at the age of 4yrs old He said that he see this all the time with rescued dogs, then he said, Patch probably had a very poor diet when he was a pup & was probably starved, that broke my heart a bit, what some of these poor dogs go thru…

#48286 Report Abuse

Claire

When I got him out of the shelter at 8 months he was very very thin. He was someone’s Christmas gift they decided they didn’t want by February. I know his diet wasn’t very good as a little guy. He wasn’t treated very well – he came out of the shelter terrified of men. 🙁

Vets diagnosis today is pancreatitis, colitis, or both. As of right now the vet wants him on i/d low fat indefinitely. Tests in early July were negative for pancreatitis but were positive today. There’s definitely something in the food that his insides can’t take. Poor guy is gonna have a tough adjustment to a life without cookies. He loooooves cookies.

Still aren’t sure of a cause of all this. Hoping he’s on the road to recovery. July hasn’t been a good month for the pup.

#48289 Report Abuse

Susan

Poor boy, Patch has Pancreatitis & IBD, at first Patches vet said colitis, cause he was pooing light red blood, they’re awful illnesses, you have to read every label to see the fat% & Patch has troubles with protein, it cant be too high, has to be under 24%, he was put on Vet diet Eukanuba Intestinal, he’s been on the Eukanuba Intestinal for 11 months then finally our Pet Barn got the “Wellness Simple” Duck & Oatmeal..so far this has been the only kibble that has agreed with Patch as well as his Intestinal.. I’m so slowly introducing the Simple, I’m halfway, so far Patch is doing good, no acid reflux, poos are excellent, Poos are better on the Simple then on the Intestinal….I make Patches biscuits, you’ll find a recipe for no fat cookies on the net, I have a few cookies dog recipes if needed, there’s a group on Yahoo called “dogpancreatitis” you see what other people are using & doing with their dogs…..hope he gets well soon…

#48345 Report Abuse

Claire

I just joined the dog pancreatitis group – thanks so much for pointing me that way. Lots of good information there. 🙂

I baked some of his wet food last night so he can have some “treats.” He’s not very excited about his new diet, but he seems to be feeling a little bit better. Seems like it will take some getting used to. Going to keep an eye on him today and see if we’re going to make a trip back to the vet tomorrow morning. Hoping his poos start looking a little bit better this afternoon.

Once his tummy is stabilized I’ll definitely look for some no fat cookie recipes! He also might like some dehydrated veggies. Looks like I may have an excuse for a new kitchen gadget to make the little man some dehydrated snacks too. I think for the next few weeks he needs to stick to his diet to get his insides figured out. Poor little guy. It’s so good to know that all this is manageable though!

#104477 Report Abuse

carol s

I lost Harley to what was determined liver failure. PJ has been sick with itchy festered ears and itchy skin and diarrhea for over a year off and on. No meds or treatment took it completely away. PJ’s blood work comes back he is fine but he is not. I took PJ off the Rachel Ray Nutrish and grain less foods that I periodically but recently exclusively feed them, thinking it was healthy. In fact I took him off dog food completely 2 days ago. I realize I missed the pattern that when I fed them Rachal Rays Nutrish or grain less dog food is when the problems would begin. In the two days of PJ being off the food he is almost cleared up. I have fed him nothing but my own cooked meats and vegetables. Yes, I am using meds and ear solution and bathing him with special shampoo as well. However, he has been on these meds in the past and not responded this quickly. I now truly believe this dog food killed my Harley and has made my PJ sick. After reading all the reviews of people whose dogs had all the symptoms mine had, I am saddened that I didn’t think to look into it sooner. While I can’t prove anything I am convinced Harley would still be with me today if I had never fed food this to him. If your dogs are eating this dog food I highly suggest you stop. The symptoms are not easily noticed in the beginning they can become less active because they are not feeling well. Which is what I realized Harley was going through at first. Other symptoms are diarrhea, blood in stools, vomiting black which is blood, Itchy to severe rashes. I kept taking them both to the vet and in the past year I have spent over $2,000 on medications, special shampoos and skin supplements when all along I believe it was the food I was feeding them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.