šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Joe S

Loyall life grain free all life stages salmon formula any input on it ?

#84228 Report Abuse
    Susan R

I believe the company has had a recall. That can happen any time, but right now it probably keeps them off the preferred list.

#84317 Report Abuse
    David L

I’m curious as to thoughts anyone may have on Halo adult dog food formulas

#84318 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

@JenniferJ,

This FAQ page might answer your question.

/frequently-asked-questions/about-editors-choice/

Go to this section of the article “Why isnā€™t my favorite company on the Editorā€™s Choice list?”

#84320 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

@David L,

Only EC members will be able to comment on your question since it’s in the EC Forum. You might want to post it in the regular Forum to get more feedback.

#84327 Report Abuse
    John P

What about Blue Grain Free Wilderness Large Breed Puppy food.

#84347 Report Abuse
    Keith H
    Participant

Please consider the “Zignature” Brand Dog Food (Dry) for your Editor’s Choice. Thanks.

#84348 Report Abuse
    Joelle V
    Participant

Please recommend a 5 star single protein fish based canned dog food! No grains, brown rice would be ok.
    I could not figure out how to submit a comment! Posting site?
    Thank you!

#84351 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Joelle-

You can search for foods on websites such as Chewy.com by many different categories. Here is a link to help you get started:
    http://www.chewy.com/dog/wet-food-293/FoodFlavor_facet:Salmon,grain-free

Now to start a topic, go back to the forum home page and pick a topic, such as, canine nutrition and scroll to the bottom to start a topic.

Good luck!

#84352 Report Abuse
    Joelle V
    Participant

Please let me know about Weruva Cirque de la Mer: Tuna and Veggies in Pumpkin soup. It looks like real food, seems ok on my doggies’ sensitive stomach. Also, Signature whitefish formula although higher fat content.
    I feed my waterdog fish so would love to you look at more of these options.
    Thank you!
    Joelle

#84353 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Joelle: you said no grains, brown rice is ok. Rice is a grain.

#84354 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Joelle V, check out Weruva Jammin Salmon and Marbella Paella. Also Tiki Dog has several fish and rice recipes. Wellness Core Ocean.

#84360 Report Abuse
    Joelle V
    Participant

Thank you, yes rice is a grain although my dog tolerates it better than any other grain. I prefer no grains however.
    Joelle

#84361 Report Abuse
    Joelle V
    Participant

I certainly will. Thank you. I like Weruva, and will try the others too.

#84379 Report Abuse
    William W

I have 4 brands of raw food available and none of them have been reviewed.
    Please help.
    They are.
    Bold Raw
    Faim Museau
    Karnivor
    5 Star Natural Raw Food
    I am in Quebec, Canada

#84401 Report Abuse
    Joe C

Taste of The Wild (All Dry choices)

Thanks

#84447 Report Abuse
    Dana H

What about the Nutro Brand dog food?

#84587 Report Abuse
    Charles Z

My Pointer does great on Canidae Pure Elements – glossy coat; firm hard, small stools; and he loves it. This is an outstanding kibble with quality,source disclosed ingredients.

#84596 Report Abuse
    Mary A

Hello all, I am new here and I was wondering about,( Taste of the Wild Dog food? The ingredient seem to be really good. Any comments ?

#84615 Report Abuse
    Linda H

I agree. My dog really likes it. I try to get two different brands and use half of one brand and then use a different brand. A the moment I have vita pure. The cost of Taste of the Wild is easier on the budget.

#84620 Report Abuse
    carolyn s

By Nature

#84639 Report Abuse
    Catherine G

I have used Natures Logic and thought it was excellent but it I s not grain free. It is on the list . Any comments on grain versus grain free.

#84647 Report Abuse
    Stan F

I would like to know if “Fromm Heartland grain-free Large Breed Puppy” would carry the same recommendation as the “Fromm Classic Gold Large Breed Puppy” (4 stars).

#84648 Report Abuse
    micah g

Purevita is this a great dry dog food? I have a Cavalier King Charles and a mix breed large dog, I am looking for a great food, price is really not an issue. My cavalier has a small murmur but she is 12 and un symptomatic and the other dog just joint stiffness. My holistic Pet store owner suggested Purevita or Fromm. I just want the best food for her cardiac support and his joint stiffness. Thank you.

#84803 Report Abuse
    Karen S

Hi, I started using a new organic dog food called Fedwell. It’s grain free kibbles and is made in their home, but very expensive. I was just wondering if anyone has used this or if the editor could make a recommendation on this. My dog is only two, but is allergic to chicken, beef and of course, grain!!! So finding something that has no chicken in it is becoming a pain.
    Thanks so much.
    Karen

#84805 Report Abuse
    Catherine G

I would like to know if anyone uses Natures Logic and your comments.

#84814 Report Abuse
    Michelle R

That is what we use as our main kibble for the dogs and the show cats. We love it because it is not grain free and full of starch, but is very hypoallergenic. Closest thing to a raw diet in a kibble form. No MSG! No synthetic vitamins or minerals from China! Eight flavors to rotate through! Beautiful coats, no scratching, and winning show cats! Can’t find a better kibble out there.

#84815 Report Abuse
    Michelle R

I was referring to Nature’s Logic in my last post.

#84818 Report Abuse
    Catherine G

I know the thing today is “grain free” . Is it the millet that makes it not grain free? I spoke to the specialty dog food store and they referred to it as grain free. I have 7 puppy mill survivors and I thought the Maltese eyes looked better, no runnyness.

#84820 Report Abuse
    Michelle R

Yes it is the millet that makes it not a grain free food but also keeps the starch lower than grain free foods. Millet is gluten free and a great source of fiber.

#84824 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

We use Nature’s Logic regularly. Have never had an issue with it and like the small kibble size.

#84827 Report Abuse
    Catherine G

Thank you so much for your input.

#85123 Report Abuse
    Kitty W

I would like to nominate Nulo, at least the puppy salmon and peas formula. The company is locally based (Austin), so I might be biased, but the ingredients are right up there with other premium brands. I rotate it with Orijen puppy formula, but Nico (15-week-old Sheltie mix) loves the Nulo, paws down!

#85399 Report Abuse
    Barbara T

How about Earthborn tubs? They get a 4.5 on your Wet Food list. DrT

#85448 Report Abuse
    elaine a

Kiwi Peak both canned and raw food – great food

#85630 Report Abuse
    Elizabeth O

Why is Honest Kitchen not on the list?

#85763 Report Abuse
    Jeanna J

Life’s Abundance seems like a really good brand.

#85905 Report Abuse
    CHARLES P

“Elite Grain and Potato Free Whitefish 30/14” made in the USA by Sport Dog Food.

I can NOT find any analyses by Dog Food Advisor…or anyone else! It is not sold by “Chewy,” so perhaps our host, Dog Food Advisor, doesn’t perform analysis on non-Chewy merchandised foods? Anyone have info on this Sport Dog Food and/or its “freeze dried” ingredients? It appears very high quality (safe), very nutritional and it is extremely well priced at $49 for 30 lbs. with free 1-2 day shipping by the manufacturer. Calcium-to-phosphorus ratio is a perfect 1 to 1 for my almost one-year-old Standard Poodle puppy.

As in it’s name, it’s Grain and (White) Potato Free, 30% protein and 14% fat. No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Gluten, Beef, Pork, Chicken, Rice, Peas, Beet or Egg, either. First ingredient is Whitefish Meal, which is almost the only animal protein (small amount of Green Lipped Sea Mussel) and the Whitefish Meal is 76% of all protein. Ingredients by order: Whitefish Meal, Yams, Freeze Dried Sweet Potato, Freeze Dried Green Lipped Sea Mussel, Freeze Dried Pumpkin, Freeze Dried Red Clover Sprouts, Freeze Dried Blueberries, Bok Choy, Zucchini, Squash, Kale, Freeze Dried Papaya, Inulin, Cranberries, Parsley, Probiotics, Kelp, Artichokes, Salmon Oil, Herring Oil, (plus vits, mins, etc).

#85906 Report Abuse
    Cami D

Chicken Soup for the Soul for dog lovers- for both their wet canned food and dry food for adult dogs.

Thank you,
    dieks

#85910 Report Abuse
    Cami D

What would be the best canned and dry dog food for a toy Yorkie who has a proclivity to pancreatitis? Molly weighs 7 lbs.

Thank you.
    dieks

#85913 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Weruva Human Style canned and Nature’s Recipe cups are low in fat.

And this link below has a list of some low fat possibilities.

/best-dog-foods/suggested-low-fat-dog-food/

Edit: the link is not showing so go to the Home page and type in the search box “best low fat dog foods” and you will find the page that lists several low fat foods.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #85930 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Cami I have a yorkie that weighs 7 lbs and I feed him weruva and I also think zeal by honest kitchen would be good. It’s low in fat. Simple nourish essentials from petsmart which is ranked a 5 is also low in fat.How old is ur yorkie? Good luck!

#86158 Report Abuse
    Gail G

Blue Buffalo is my nomination. It’s sort of a new dog food, in our grocery store in several varieties, and I read all the ingredients, and I couldn’t find anything wrong that I’ve read about on the ingredient list. Now, I’m not anti-grain, don’t mind if corn is in it, chicken is the first ingredient and the only meal was chicken meal, and it has many vitamins other foods don’t, and ingredients for the dog’s coat. I guess one of the exceptions that you list must apply to this food and, if possible, I’d like to know just how negative that might be… if the company was simply uncooperative because they’re into making food and not filling an office to answer inquiries, that sort of thing. I REALLY want to get it, they have a Life Protection Formula that I like and also Puppy Formulas. We lost our dog two months ago and are ready now to adopt a new pup, anywhere from 4 months on up to a year… we’ve adopted a couple seniors and “Gone Too Soon” (Michael Jackson) SO applies, so this time it’s going to be a life dog, as we’ve had before. So, if you could give me ANY positive reaction to this food, or any WARNING about it, I want to hear back. Also, if it’s been recalled, I’d like to know why. Thanks for this website! GigiMac

#86160 Report Abuse
    Linda H

Blue Buffalo admitted the truth in court yesterday: A ā€œsubstantialā€ and ā€œmaterialā€ portion of Blue Buffalo pet food sold over the past several years contained poultry by-product meal, despite pervasive advertising claims to the contrary. Blue Buffalo asked the Court for additional time to file an Amended Complaint in the litigation, naming its ingredient suppliers as Defendants.
    The admission came almost one year to the day when Purina filed a lawsuit against Blue Buffalo for false advertising after testing revealed the presence of poultry by-product meal in some of Blue Buffaloā€™s top selling pet foods.

Blue Buffalo Admits to Bull****ing Pet Parents; Lawsuit with Nestle-Purina Heats Up

Gail having heard something negative lately I thought I would google and see what the latest on Blue Buffalo and came across this info. If I recall correctly they were also part of the melamine deaths of dogs sue to ingredients from China.

#86237 Report Abuse
    Megan N

I keep hearing things about Victor dry dog food. Does anyone have information on this brand? What grade via the DGAdvusor has or would give it? TIA

#86238 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Megan: go to the review side (in red line above, click “reviews”) and take a look.

#86253 Report Abuse
    Melanie S

What about Fromm Heartland Gold Large Puppy Food? It’s Grainfree, which I like. We’re getting another Flat-coated retriever puppy soon. My 2 yr old Flat-Coat loves Fromm’s Grainfree and he is very healthy.

#86298 Report Abuse
    Dog Pack Mom

I would like to be able to see the previous months’ editor’s list. I would also like to suggest that when foods are removed an explanation be given so that is it’s only removed to allow another brand the opportunity to be on the list I would know it is still just as good as the foods currently on the list. Just a suggestion.

#86310 Report Abuse
    Catherine G

Yes Dog Pack Mom, I have several puppy mill survivors and would like to know the reason for removing a particular food. Is it predicated on sales, not quality?

#86367 Report Abuse
    Susan W

I’d like to Nominate VeRus Pet Foods – specifically their Cold Water Fish

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.