đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

#186953 Report Abuse
aimee
Participant

Hi Crazy4cats,

I don’t understand the repeated excessive Vit D recalls. It seems it would be fairly easy to avoid maybe I’m just ignorant of challenges to prevent this. In this case, it appears Primal sent the food for testing, it came back high and then instead of recalling, they ignored the threat.

Here is the ink to the warning letter https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/primal-pet-foods-inc-645467-02212023

Darwin’s Pet Product. Arrow Reliance also got a FDA warning letter and it is IMO a doozy of a letter. Apparently, FDA documented Salmonella in the diets, and found they were including a “disinfectant” not approved for animal use and apparently at a higher concentration than allowed. Apparently, the disinfectant peroxyacid is used as a beef carcass wash in human food production. But the letter makes it seem that Darwin’s was incorporating it into the diet!

Interesting to me is how ST seemingly defends this company which is on her list, and apparently claiming that the company was unfairly targeted. The FDA investigated after a feline was diagnosed with Salmonella. She reports the company was investigation was for “diarrhea” and there are many complaints of diarrhea that go un investigated. Apparently she is unconcerned of the repeated finding of pathogens in this brand , despite an animal dying several years ago from one of them. She also seems to give them a pass for using a non-approved disinfectant.