đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

#172274 Report Abuse
Patricia A
Participant

My elderly mom has recently moved into our home after my dad passed. I have two Chihuahuas’ and now three with her Chihuahua Sophie. We lived close by and I would be going over to walk her dog and with meals before moving in. Her dog came to use overweight, however refused to eat from bowl. She would stand at table and bark and scratch leg for our food. Then I would see my mom feeding her from her plate. Having the start of dementia she did not remember request to PLEASE do not feed from plate because she is not eating her dog food from bowl because so used to being fed all day .
My two get a little hard boiled egg in morning. Dinner is various brands of freeze dried in different proteins/flavors they got introduced to SLOWLY. This being primal, Stella Chewy’s and Bixbi Rawbble and Open Farm for a snack of one or two little round nugget. Also just introduced Small Batch Beef which they love. Always moistened with a little warm water and a little Stella Chewy’s Grain free Chicken kibble on top. In between they get boiled chicken , string beans, carrots. Boiled salmon or if they are lucky some lean steak when we have.
Well I made SURE to watch my mom carefully not to give dog her scrambled egg , toast, pizza etc. from her plate. If she didn’t want her very tasty and nutritional I give to my two then I would take away bowl. After doing this for a few days she now got out of the habit of thinking she rather eat my moms food and now eats her own and enjoys it. Her stools are better and she is losing weight from all constant feeding she was getting all day from her.
So please NO in-between from your husband. Stick to what you were giving her if her stools are good and no stomach upset. She will start to enjoy her meals if knows holding out for bits of husbands dinner. As I wrote, same exact scenario with Sophie and problem solved if you stick to it. Introduce slowly if you give other flavors of freeze dried also. They all LOVE Primal Turkey/Sardine by the way .
Hope this helps.