🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Peggy

This morning, I fed my dogs Pure Balance (PB) Salmon & Peas dry (1/4 c for Tebow, 1 c for LadyBug, moistened w/ warm water), 1/4 can of PB Chicken for Tebow, 3/4 can for LadyBug, 2 medium scrambled eggs divided between them.

Neither of them ate ONE SINGLE BITE. grrrr.
    I picked it up after 1/2 hour. Dinner is at 4 pm.

NOTE: I am slowly learning that my dogs do not like Chicken, in any form, and they are sensitive to beef.
    Which narrows me to seafood, pork, and lamb.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Peggy.
    #65442 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Everyone. Well I posted here earlier but it seems to have never made it onto this thread. I’m posting here so that as many of you that wished us well will see it.

Thank you to all that wished us well, kept us in your thoughts, prayed for us and sent good vibes our way. We heard this morning that Jim is all clear and CANCER FREE! The surgeon and oncologist are delighted. Jim and I cannot stop grinning at each other. We, including the girls, have been dancing around the house all day (on and off….we’re not that young anymore). The dogs think we’re crazy so they’ve decided to act crazy too. We are a bit delirious at this point.

Thank you to all that knew what was going on and thought of us and reached out to me. Those that didn’t know me and what we were going through, well, thank you too as now you know me and our story. Sort of! Can anyone tell that at this point I’m babbling and am truly delirious???? HAHAHAHAHA! I’m so friggin happy. My face hurts from this smile I can’t seem to stop. Thank you all!!!!!!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dori.
    #65444 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Whoo hoo, fantastic news, Dori! You guys have a wonderful weekend, what great news!

#65445 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks so much Marie. We’re ecstatic. Cause for a celebration so we’ll be doing that tonight.

#65448 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Awesome news Dori, so glad to be reading this!

#65450 Report Abuse
    losul

Dori, I didn’t know what was gone on before, but I’m very happy for you now with the results!!

Kick up the heels and let it all out!!!! It’s good to be crazy sometimes.

#65472 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What fabulous news!! Definitely celebrate!

#65494 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Fed my dogs PB Salmon & Pea recipe dry – 1/2 cup for Tebow and 1 cup for Ladybug, plus 1 tub each of PB Chicken dinner (3.5 ounces each).
    Waste of time. Neither of them ate more than a bite or two. Just enough to know it was chicken, and walk away. ugh!

Tonight they were fed the same dry food, 1/2 c for Tebow and 1 c for LadyBug, broiled ground turkey, 2 Tbsp white rice for Tebow and 4 Tbsp rice for Lady, about 10 green beans each, diced.

They ate the entire contents of their bowl. In fact, they licked them so clean, I don’t even have to wash them, ha. 🙂

#65511 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@Dori YAY!!! So glad to here that! 😀

#65513 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thank you D O. Thank you for all the warm thoughts before and after. It has meant a lot to me.

#65515 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

You’re welcome! 😀

#65518 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

So, I see, we have good news for both Dori and Peggy! 🙂

#65534 Report Abuse

Dori, That is wonderful news!!!!

#65542 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Sooo I went to the store yesterday and purchased a few tubs (3.5 oz each) of Pure Balance cat food. They have a wider variety of flavors than the dog food does. I got Turkey & Sweet potatoes, Salmon & Sweet potatoes, and Turkey & Peas. They won’t be eating it all the time of course, only to give them a change from their regular dog food flavors.

Anyway, this morning they had their Salmon & Pea dry with Salmon & Sweet potatoes cat food. ALL gone! 😀

#65546 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Ha ha! One of my dogs ate Pure Balance’s new wet cat food this morning also. He snuck in the cat’s room and ate up all the food that they turned their noses up at. Naughty puppy! They can smell uneaten cat food from a mile away!

GO HAWKS! 🙂

#65549 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thank you all. Wish there hadn’t been such sad news for Marie yesterday. We had such a happy day yesterday at my home until late last night when I read Marie’s post about Gemma passing. So sad for Marie and her family.

#65551 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hey C4C. Sorry girlfriend but I’m a Patriot’s fan (I’m from the North East remember and lived in Massachusetts for years on the Cape). So I’ve had to jump ship from the Hawks. Of course my brother and I are feuding. A lot!!!!!

#65558 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Ok, girlfriend, it’s on! We’ll see who is smiling on Sunday night!

#65560 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

At moments like this I am glad that I don’t do football. 🙂

#65562 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yep! Let’s see who will be smiling. I don’t think it will be you and my brother! 🙂

I very much appreciate your not mentioning deflategate. My brother can’t shut up about it!

#65567 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Lily had 1/8 of a cup THK Embark today, and a little less than 1/4 of a cup kibble. I actually think it was about 3/16 of a cup, but I’ll spare everyone’s brains and call it a little less than 1/4. 🙂

#65569 Report Abuse
    Peggy

D_O. meeee too, no football here. We are baseball and hockey fans.

#65608 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

awww, Dori, don’t worry about me, we’re fine.

GO PATS!!!!

#65609 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’m watching the game, but I refuse to cheer for either team. And Katy perry doing halftime show, ugh. I’ll be cooking at halftime haha

#65622 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh Dori, Tom can play with his flat balls and we will still win! Doesn’t matter to us. Lol! Our city is going crazy. There are banners, lights, signs and crazy people everywhere!

Aquariangt-
    I agree with you on the Katie Perry thing, ugh.

Go Hawks!

#65627 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I shared this in the off topic comment discussions, but it seems relevant here too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=CVVYC2MI6UA

#65628 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

See D_O, you know what’s going on! That was cute. My dogs love to play with deflated footballs too. But, I really loved that they showed kitties!

Yes, we are off topic. But, I think this is your thread anyway, isn’t it?

#65631 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, it’s fine if we get off-topic, as long as people still can use the thread for its original purpose. 😀

#65636 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I have been. 😀

#65637 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, Peggy, you have been very good. I’ll get it going again. Last night my dogs each had 3/4lb of ground turkey lightly browned with 1 1/2 TBS of the See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix. I call it their Special Saturday Supper. Tonight they will have kibble with a tin of sardines each. This will be Sardine Seahawk Sunday! In the mornings they get kibble with a little canned and Vetri-Pro BD supplement. Go Hawks!

#65639 Report Abuse
    CaneCorso15

For breakfast; 3 cups kibble mix with 2 raw eggs and a banana.
    For Dinner; Half of a whole chicken and a beef rib.

#65641 Report Abuse
    Peggy

c4c – if I was a football fan, I’d have been right in there with y’all. lol.

This morning my Tebow and LadyBug had 1/4 c and 3/4 c of PB Salmon & Pea grain-free kibble (respectively) moistened, 2 tubs (3.5 oz each) of PB grain-free Beef dinner w/ carrots and sun-dried tomatoes (3/4 tub for Tebow and 1 1/4 tub for LadyBug), and 1 scrambled egg divided between them.
    Each cleaned their bowl up!

If anyone wonders why I always mention my kids cleaning their bowl, it’s because LadyBug has a serious food sensitivity, in addition to being a very picky eater, and she’s never eaten all of her food, and in fact, depending on what I fed them, didn’t eat it at all. She is what I call a “sniffy eater”. She sniffs everything and if she doesn’t like the smell, she’s not eating. I’m sure the sniffing has to do with the breeds – she is a Shepherd/Lab mix. BUT, since switching to Pure Balance, she rarely leaves anything at all in her bowl.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Peggy.
    #65748 Report Abuse
    Peggy

This morning, the kids had their usual Pure Balance Salmon & Pea grain-free dry food with –
    1/4 can of PB Beef stew w/ carrots and brown rice, LadyBug had the other 3/4 of the can. I added a bit of ground flax seed because they love the taste.

Tonight, I baked a large pork loin steak (unseasoned), cut it up into tiny pieces, and gave Tebow 1/4 of it and LadyBug the rest, added diced cooked carrots, and mixed it with their 1/4 c and 3/4 c of PB Salmon & Pea kibble.

Had two happy canine campers today! ♥

#65751 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Okay, tonight, the furry boys are being served pheasant under glass and the humans are having frozen pizza! LOL! JK, but pretty close. The dogs are having their kibble with an egg and about an ounce of beef heart mixed in. And I’m not sure what us humans are having yet. But, frozen pizza is always an option. 😀

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by crazy4cats.
    #65754 Report Abuse
    Dori

Answer’s Detailed for the girls and I made shrimp scampi for the adults and a salad.

#65758 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hi, all! Omg, it has been a while! I am having trouble connecting to the website from my home wifi so I can only do it from my phone’s data… Dr. Mike’s team is working with me to see if we can resolve the issue. Until then I will be here on and off as I don’t like typing from my phone, or draining my data, but for now it’s all I can do to be on here.

Anyway, Bruno had a beef trachea yesterday for dinner and a bit of a mudbutt (jelly butt) today from it (I think), so today he had some Perfect Form to his Wysong Nurture with Quail breakfast and dinner. For breakfast he had 1/4 cup Wysong, teaspoon of coconut oil, and warm water; then mudbutt happened, so he had a heaping teaspoon of plain yoghurt with 1/2 teaspoon PF as a snack. Dinner was 1/4 cup Wysong with 1 tsp THK something (the GF chicken one) and 1/2 tsp PF in warm water. So far no more mudbutt or poop at all since morning. We’ll see how he is tomorrow.

#65788 Report Abuse
    Peggy

ugh hate that yucky butt stuff. 😛

My dogs got the usual PB dry kibble with PB lamb pate, diced cooked carrots.
    They did not eat a bit. nada.

Tonight, they got their usual dry PB kibble moistened with warm water, broiled ground turkey, diced cooked carrots, and a small sprinkle of ground flax seed. Ate every bit.
    I can’t tell if that’s because they were starving, or they really liked the meal, ha.

Tomorrow morning I believe I’m going to take the plunge and try them on canned Salmon.

#65911 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Tonight, Lily had 1/8 of a cup Nulo kibble, 1/8 of a cup THK Thrive (Yup, the transition has begun.) and a little bit of NutriSource Chicken, Lamb, and Ocean Fish canned food, which she has been eating as a topper for a few days now. As usual, everything was promptly devoured. 😀

#65916 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I didn’t do the canned salmon yet.

Yesterday for breakfast, my two had the usual PB kibble, with a tub of PB Beef w/carrots & sun-dried tomatoes, to which I added diced cooked green beans and scrambled egg, divided. Neither of them touched it. At all. I picked it up after 1 hour.

For dinner they had PB kibble with a tub of PB Turkey & sweet potatoes, diced cooked carrots, and a bit of shredded cheese on top. Tebow are a little bit out of his bowl, and left the rest. LadyBug ate NADA.

I’m hoping they’re just going through a phase. 🙁

#66001 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Peggy, this is odd… Do you think they are self-regulating somehow and have been getting enough calories? I have heard/read that if a dog truly is hungry, they will eat when they get to that point of true hunger… Or, they are sick, but I hope that’s not it. How have they been eating today, if at all?

As for us, Bruno and Snowy (this weekend I am dog-sitting the dog of the family I babysit for) had 1/4 cup of Acana Pacifica dry with 1/2 3.5oz can of sardines in water, and 1/2 tsp THK Perfect Form each. Bruno’s stool has been good, just a tad softer since we switched to Wysong Nurture with Quail, so I have been giving him PF this week to firm him back up. So far so good, he’s almost back to normal. On Saturdays he always has a fish-based kibble with his sardines, and these days it is Acana Pacifica. Next up I have a small bag of GO! Sensitivity and Shine Salmon.

Dinner today will be 1/4 cup of Wysong each, with 1 tsp each of Sojo’s Turkey, and 1/2 tsp each of PF.

Tomorrow’s breakfast will be 1/4 cup Wysong again with 1 tsp of Sojo’s Beef, 1/2 tsp PF. Dinner tomorrow will be dried duck feet! 🙂

Right now Snowy is on Wellness CORE Puppy, but she’s had Wysong before and did well on it, and she is so good about switching foods up now, so she is fine with the variety. I have a lot of dog food at my house so I don’t mind feeding an extra pup for a few days. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Naturella.
    #66008 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Naturella, they do seem to go through this every once in a while, no matter what brand of food they’ve been on. It gets frustrating.

This morning they had the usual amt of PB Salmon & Peas grain-free kibble, (plus I added a few pieces of the Bison & Peas grain free kibble), 1/2 c of PB canned Chicken stew for Lady, and a little less than 1/4 c of PB Chicken stew for Tebow, a few pieces of broiled fresh chicken for each, and a tsp of THK PF for Lady and 1/2 tsp for Tebow, as per directions.
    Lady ate most of her food! What she did not eat was the pieces of Bison kibble. ugh! Tebow did the same exact thing.

Something I am seeing lately is increased thirst for both. I’ve assumed that with it being winter and the furnace going non-stop it could be just the dry air. I know I drink more in the winter, as does my son. But I wake up in the night hearing them licking their lips like someone does who has a dry mouth. This is every night. I limit their access to water at night because Tebow has “accidents” on the livingroom carpet at night. I do know that during the day, they are drinking more water than usual. But then, so do I.

Any thoughts?

#66021 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Ok so I called my vet about this and here’s what he told me –

Too much protein will make your dog thirsty because the kidneys have to work harder to process higher protein levels.

He asked how much protein is in both of their kibbles and I told him that the Salmon & Pea is 27% and the Bison & Peas is 30%. He said if I’m going to put both recipes in the meal, I need to decrease the salmon/pea recipe by however much Bison I add. And if I’m adding fresh meat, to decrease the dry food by 2 tbsp each, because that is more protein. He also advised adding plenty of veggies, and a tbsp of warm water to their food.

Any thoughts on this?

#66192 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Anyone?

#66202 Report Abuse
    Peggy

So for breakfast this morning, my poochies had their usual amount of PB kibble with a few pieces of Bison & Peas kibble added, and a PB tub of beef in gravy w/carrots & sun-dried tomatoes. They loved it and ate it all. However, my son’s dad later gave them some Jimmy Dean’s sausage, egg & cheese croissant, which made LadyBug vomit everything. UGH!

For dinner tonight, they had their Pure Balance Salmon & Peas kibble (1/3 c for Tebow and 3/4 c for Lady Bug), fresh carrots cooked and diced, and canned salmon. I poured a bit of salmon “juice” over their dinners and mixed it all up. They ate it all. Even came begging for more, lol. They did not get it, of course! 🙂

The remainder of the can is in a plastic container in the fridge for either Thursday or Friday.

#66203 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

sorry, I’ve never heard of too high of protein making dogs thirstier

#66208 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Kidneys filter the waste products of protein digestion in a passive process. They do not have to work harder. Some dogs do drink more water to flush out their system when they eat higher protein. That does not equate to working harder. It does have to do with how much the kidneys concentrate the urine though. It’s healthier to drink more.

#66214 Report Abuse
    Dori

Peggy I’m wondering if your dogs are thirstier because of the addition of PB wet (stews and gravies). First ingredient for their wet foods is a broth. I’m wondering if they have too much salt in their broth and then eventually on their ingredient list you will see that they have added “salt” again. There may simply be too much salt in their diet which is why they are drinking more. I have no personal knowledge as to whether their broths contain salt or not but I did notice that broth is listed first.

I disagree that the reason your dogs are drinking more water is because you are feeding your dogs a diet containing too much protein. I personally feed my three dogs foods with really high protein levels and would not feed foods with proteins as low as you do and my dogs are not any thirstier. I do however monitor any sodium that may be in their diets.

Are they as thirsty if you were to only feed them the dry food? I’m not suggesting you do, I’m just wondering when you started to notice the difference in their water intake.

Sorry, I meant to mention that their wet foods I believe also contain kelp which is salty tasting also.

#66219 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Dori I started to notice the difference in water intake about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Which is about the same time I had to start leaving the furnace on 24/7.

As for the food, I have noticed that they do not seem as thirsty when I feed them the PB wet food from the tub. The beef dinner has noticeably less gravy and the first ingredient is beef. The lamb is a pate’ with no gravy at all. I’ve all but stopped feeding them the stews because they don’t like the gravy at all. The last stew they ate was maybe 3 days ago.

Something I noticed tonight: I fed them their kibble with canned salmon and added canned carrots, warmed & diced. They seem perfectly comfortable now. No licking their lips at all.

I do notice Tebow licking his paws a lot. But I attribute that to the dry air. My feet are dry and itchy too. I’ve been through 2 bottles of lotion so far this winter. ugh.

#66220 Report Abuse
    Dori

No. I doubt Tebow would be licking his feet because of the increase of salt intake. Licking his feet, unless he’s stepped on something, is typically a food sensitivity. If you’ve had any snow in your area and you’ve walked your dogs you have to remember to rinse their feet before they come in, or even when they are in the house to remove anything that anyone including the city may have put down to melt snow.

When did Tebow start to lick his feet? I don’t remember you mentioning that.

#66222 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I mentioned it in another post – somewhere. hehe
    I don’t take them for walks in the winter. I don’t have good balance (vertigo) and don’t walk well on snow or ice. So the back yard is their winter playground. I don’t put anything down back there.

Um he started this right about the same time they started licking their lips and drinking more water. Of course, he usually does it in the middle of the night while laying on my bed, while I am TRYING to sleep. 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 260 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.