What did your dog(s) eat today?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum What did your dog(s) eat today?

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, I just looked at it and many of them still had poultry or fish. As you said it’s a place to start. NVI Rabbit is safe, but I feel kind of weird feeding rabbit-based dog food. Yes, I know that’s not a good reason lol.

#62396 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Back to Basics Pork Formula looks good: http://www.chewy.com/dog/back-to-basics-pork-formula-dry-dog/dp/36146 Any thoughts?

#62397 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Rabbits are good doggy eating lol

#62398 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I know, but poor bunny. 🙁 Then again poor chicken, and cow, and pig…I’m not gonna make a dog be vegetarian, so I guess I’m kinda stuck with something. I am a vegetarian though, for this exact reason.

#62399 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’m not for sure but I think I and Love and You Nude Food, ONP MaxMeat and ONP Canine Powerfood have a red meat formula.

#62400 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks! Unfortunately none of those are on Chewy, not sure why. 🙁

#62403 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

OK, here’s what I found so far, not all are beef, but all are red meat:

Fromm Beef Frittata; Canidae (Diamond) Pure Land or Pure Sky; Wholesome Blend Red Meat Turf Formula; Wysong Epigen Venison; Annamaet Manitok; Nature’s Variety Instinct LID Duck or Rabbit; Go! Daily Defence Lamb & Rice; Now Fresh GF Red Meat; Acana Ranchlands (whitefish meal #6); Victor Active Dog & Puppy (chicken as third ingredient) ALS; and Addiction Viva La Venison.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you specified grain-free. I think I included one that wasn’t.

Also NVI Beef and Lamb has turkey as the second ingredient and whitefish meal as the third ingredient and the Rabbit has salmon as the second ingredient. The LIDs meet your requirement.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by DogFoodie.
    #62408 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks so much! I will look into these! The grain-free was because the THK topper I bought, Thrive, has Quinoa which isn’t technically a grain but has similar properties. The kibble I want to use next, Nature’s Logic, has Millet. I wanted something grain-free to make sure she doesn’t have too many grains at once.

#62413 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Just yesterday, my daughter noticed the irony in the pictures on her bedroom wall. One wall has wolves staring out across the room. The other has little bunnies hiding among flowers.

#62418 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I prefer tubers to pseudo grains, but I use them myself occasionally as well. While they’re gluten free, they’re not lectin free. When my dog stopped doing well on Nature’s Logic a couple of years ago, I thought he might be reacting to the millet; but when I later realized his fish intolerance, I determined he was reacting to the sardine meal in each formula. But, I prefer ancient grains for my dogs and myself. I just wish we’d see them sprouted more often. Carna 4 uses sprouted grains, but it’s very expensive. I wanted to try one of my dogs on it, but the shipping was high too, and I don’t want to have to go into the city to buy it.

#62419 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Today my dogs had Wellness Simple Small Breed Salmon & Potato for their kibble, topped with Ark Natural’s Gentle Digest probiotic and Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers Turkey. I add a little water to mix up. They’ve been eating this for awhile now. Sometimes I’ll add Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers Beef or Fish formulas but when I tried to change freeze dried to Orijen the pup had major diarrhea. Btw, he came to me with a case of coccidia and whipworms (yuck!). He’s through with his meds and will go back to the vet later in January to see if more is needed. I think he’s doing okay, though. I do believe him and Rupert need grain free definitely because I tried to use some Wellness Small Breed Adult and got “not so good” results with them. I have to order the Simple from Chewy’s because no one around me carries the line anymore.

#62420 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Have you guys by chance seen the Winter Warmer Broths at THK? I’ve been using them and the dogs love them. When it’s necessary to feed a quick meal of kibble with no topper, I love that I can pour this over their kibble, add nutrients and give them additional hydration. They’re a seasonal item and are being offered for a limited time only, but I wish that THK would add these or a similar product to their permanent product offering.

#62422 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’ve seen them but haven’t tried them. I thought they looked good too! I got a few samples of Ice Pups the other day though.

My favorite food so far that DogFoodie suggested is Annamaet Manitok. Unfortunately Chewy has it out of stock right now, so I might wait for it or just use something else.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #62424 Report Abuse
    Dori

I’ve used them to rehydrate THK Zeal instead of water. I gave the chicken one away to one of my neighbors. I like the idea of it but feel they’re pretty expensive for what they are. Just wanted to try something new from THK, I don’t think I’d order them again.

#62425 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I used Ice Pups last winter, but like these so much better. I like the canister better than the packets. Pop open the canister, measure out 1/2 tablespoon in a mug and a shot of hot water from the Zojirushi that’s always at the ready and I have the perfect amount to pour over both meals.

Try ’em!

Edit: Hi Dori, I actually think I would order them again. I emailed them and suggested that they make a true, dehydrated bone broth and offer that all the time. That I would definitely buy. Bone broth is awesome, but messy and time consuming. I’d pay to have someone do that work for me.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by DogFoodie. Reason: added note to Dori
    #62426 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

One question about both the Ice Pups and the Winter Warmer Broths, I can’t find the nutritional adequacy statement for either. I assume their just treats/toppers, and the Ice Pups are too high fat to be a meal, but it was strange that I can’t find the statement.

#62428 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

The information is on the cans of Winter Warmers and was on the box of Ice Pups, which I no longer have. I have a real hard time accessing THK’s site from the device from which I post, so let me look at the cans.

Beef and Bone Broth
    Protein min – 69%
    Fat min – 7.7%
    Fiber max – 2.9%
    Moisture max – 4.4%

Chicken Consomme
    Protein min – 43.5%
    Fat min – 34.5%
    Fiber max – 2.4%
    Moisture max – 2.9%

Turkey Stock
    Protein min – 42%
    Fat min – 35%
    Fiber max – 1.7%
    Moisture max – 3.4%

#62429 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

The Beef one looks low-fat enough that I would be comfortable feeding more of it as a topper once and a while. Does the tube say if it is balanced? I don’t really care because I probably wouldn’t feed it as a meal anyway, I’m just wondering.

#62430 Report Abuse
    Dori

Forgot, I also had to give the Turkey one away also which is why it was extremely expensive for me. I can only use one of the three (Beef) in the package. Wish they sold them separately at a more reasonable price.

#62431 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Here’s a great article written by Susan Thixton about the health benefits of bone broth and simple instructions on how to make it: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/make-your-pet-a-healthy-broth/

I’m gettin’ out my Crock-Pot this weekend!

#62434 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I have some of the broths, but haven’t used them yet…..keep forgetting about them! I’ll have to get them out.

#62437 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Warning! Subject change!

Okay…here is what I’m currently considering in my kibble search:

Great Life Grain-Free Buffalo: http://www.chewy.com/dog/great-life-grain-free-buffalo-dry/dp/109607

Back to Basics Pork: http://www.chewy.com/dog/back-to-basics-pork-formula-dry-dog/dp/36146

Annamaet Manitok: http://www.chewy.com/dog/annamaet-grain-free-manitok-red-meat/dp/41922

All are rated 5 stars on DFA. Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone who searched for me!

#62438 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I am giggling reading about the convenience of buying a good broth as opposed to making it! I agree, I am all for making things easy and simple!

I always have bone broth in the freezer for Bobby and the cats. I make it similar to the truthaboutpetfood directions so I thought I would share my routine if anyone is interested. I routinely look for shortcuts when cooking. I am a lazy chef, what can I say.

I remove the skin and fat before cooking. I may not get all the fat, but I try. I use a crockpot and cook on low for 24 hours; set it and forget it. When it’s done, I let it cool enough to be able to put it in an iced tea pitcher. I pour it through a colander to remove the bones then put it in the refrigerator to cool further. When it’s chilled I skim the fat off then pour it easily into containers for freezing. I normally just use ice cube trays then store it in zip lock bags, depends on how full my freezer is.

#62441 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I wouldn’t feed Great Life if at all possible. There sketchy to me. They should’ve had a recall a while back, but withheld the food and never issued a recall just so they could continue to put “Never Recalled,” on the bag.

I have so few foods I can feed my Sam, that I’m thankful for the salmon oil as the very last ingredient in the Dr. E’s Limited Ingredient Diet made by Great Life, because it’s all I need to keep me from trying it.

#62442 Report Abuse
    Dori

Bobby dog. LMAO, I think some of us are just lazy…..oops! I mean to say I’m just too lazy, or what? I’m not sure. I got an email from THK awhile back re the broths before they were going to be introduced, they made a big hype about it and, of course, to order it before they ran out for the holidays and, duh?????? I fell right into the marketing pitch. Paid the money for them and then had to give two of them away. Knowing full well that I cannot give the girls anything that contains poultry or fowl I ordered them anyway. What was I thinking you might wonder? I have no clue other than to plead to a majorly bad senior moment. I mean seriously, who pays 19.99 for three containers of broth plus the shipping knowing full well at the start that they cannot use two of the containers. So I paid 19.99 plus shipping for one container of powdered broth. New Year’s resolution coming to me right here right now. I will follow your directions and make my own beef broth. I mean it’s not like I don’t have a slow cooker (crock pot) and it’s not like I can’t buy beef bones. I love freezing things for the girls in ice cube trays then putting in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer. I learned that part from theNut quite a while ago. Thanks Bobby dog.

#62443 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks DogFoodie. My favorite is definitely the Annamaet, I would just have to wait for them to restock it.

#62444 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Update: The Annamaet is expected to be back in stock in the next week or two.

Earthborn Holistic is another option, the Great Plains and Meadow Feast formulas.

#62445 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

You’re welcome Dori!

That is a little pricey for broth. They are definitely on to something, a healthy powdered broth is a good idea if you aren’t into making it.

When I get offers like that for anything I can just hear my Mom saying “that’s ridiculous to pay that much when you can just make it yourself.” lol She’s still my voice of reason…sometimes.

The routine I have is the simplest for me so far, so if you come up with any other short cuts please come back and let me know!

#62446 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

OK, I just pulled out a big bag of chicken necks from MPC that are frozen together in a big freezer burned lump and threw it in the Crock-Pot. Looks like I’m making bone broth today.

I’m the worst cook I know and am horribly disorganized in the kitchen. I’m busy and gone a lot so when we get home at night, 9 times out of 10, it’s just easier to grab something to eat on the way home.

#62449 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Those broths sound fantastic for when I’m feeding my pups at 4:00 am before we go to work! Betsy, you can’t be any worse than me. I’m terrible in the kitchen! I’ve had a good excuse for the last 15 years as we have spent the majority of our free time on baseball, football and basketball game bleachers. But, that is slowly coming to an end as my oldest son’s college baseball days are done and my youngest’s soon may be due to injury. He had off season surgery and isn’t rehabbing well. Bummer 🙁 I have more time now and don’t know where to start. Let me know how your broth turns out. You may inspire me. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by crazy4cats.
    #62456 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Sorry guys, I’m constantly changing the subject.

What about Fromm Lamb and Lentils? It meets all my requirements, gets a 4.5 star rating, and I think Fromm is a pretty good company. What do you think?

#62457 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Ok, I’m back. I was thinking more about the bone broth. Can you use cooked bones to make it? Like can I use the carcass from a Costco rotisserie chicken that we’ve had for dinner to make it? Or, does it have to be raw bones?

#62461 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

My first thought about that would be yes, you could certainly start with cooked bones since you’re going to strain it all out at the end of cooking anyway. However, there is something that is used in Costco rotisserie chicken that I absolutely cannot have. It sets off my colitis instantly. I’m not sure if it’s a flavor enhancer with MSG in it or what, but just keep in mind your dogs would end up eating it. I just wouldn’t give it to them too often.

#62465 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hmmm… Hadn’t thought of that. Would definitely keep an eye out for a reaction if I go through with my BIG plan. lol!

#62469 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I’ve fed Fromm Lamb & Lentils and the dogs did pretty good on it. I also like Fromm as a company.

#62470 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Good luck C4C! Let us know how it goes!

@Mom2Cavs Thanks! I think at this point, the Fromm is my favorite option. It is also the cheapest, at $12.99 for 4lbs. I’ve been reading on the forums and review comments, and it seems like Fromm is a pretty trustworthy company, even though someone had a bad experience a few years ago. (Fromm Dog Food Dangers thread.)

#62471 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m going to place my Chewy.com order today. I’m getting a bottle of Vet’s Best shampoo, a cheap dog toy, a Small Bergan Smart Storage container, a 4.4lb bag of Nature’s Logic Venison, and a 4lb bag of Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Lamb and Lentils Dry Dog Food.

Thanks to Dori who suggested the NL kibble, the storage container, and shampoo, and thanks to everyone for suggesting foods and being generally awesome!

#62472 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

@dogfoodie I love the winter broths! According to my thk rep, they won’t be bringing them back as sales were low. In fact, we couldn’t order them at the store, I had to buy mine direct,y from them. But the girls love them, and I love the concept.

@dog_obsessed
    Fromm is a staple in my rotation, though I like the beef frittata and pork and pea more than lamb and lentil, due to lower protein than the other 4 stars, though not by much, I also don’t feed lamb often due to the warming properties. Of the others you mentioned, I wouldn’t use great life, and like annamaet. Have never used back to basics at all. Have you tried pet flow for items as well? They don’t have annamaet but I think I saw somewhere back there chewy was out of something else you wanted. I like pet flow as well as chewy

#62473 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks! I thought about using the beef, but I thought the lamb was better because it has lamb as the first ingredient and then lamb meal, wheres the beef has beef first and then goes right to peas. The beef has 1% more protein than the lamb on an as-fed basis, so I think it’s mainly a matter of preference. I might decide to do the beef, I’ll see.

#62474 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Fromm 4 star loves their peas, it’s why only 1 of mine can eat the grain free. I’m just diligent with toppers

#62476 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I think I’m going to go with the lamb, but I’ll keep the beef in mind for future reference. The order has been placed!

#62517 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I just put some Ice Pups in the freezer to be used as treats or quickie toppers. Lily seemed to like the stuff as a liquid, so hopefully they’ll be a hit. 😀

#62522 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

They were a hit! I gave her one small one, and she licked it for a few minutes and then gobbled it up! I feel weird giving these to her in the dead of winter, but it doesn’t really get that cold here.

#62572 Report Abuse
    Peggy

ooohh I’m glad I found this thread.
    Currently my 2 babies are eating Wellness Core Grain Free Reduced Fat dry food. I top it with Pure Balance tub food – 1/2 tub each.

I’ll admit that both myself and they are having difficulty with the switch to using wet meat as just a topper, as they are used to a 1/2 can each mixed in with their dry food.
    Also, to be honest, neither one is liking the Wellness Core food. My LadyBug will NOT eat is by itself. As soon as the meat is gone, so is she.
    My JRT will eat some of it after the meat is gone, but not much.

And we’re not even 1/4 of the way through a 26 lb bag! 🙁

#62577 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Peggy-

You could still give them more wet food as long as you reduce the amount of dry you are feeding them and the wet food is a complete and balanced formula.

My kitties have a hard time liking reduced fat food as well. I guess it would be like eating plain popcorn after you are used to eating it with butter. LOL! I try to feed my dogs moderate to low fat dry foods because the toppers that I use tend to be a little higher in fat. Such as the canned and frozen raw that I add to their meals.

Sounds like you are making some great changes. It sure is a learning experience isn’t it? Who knew?

#62580 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Thanks crazy4cats. I may try that a few times per week.
    I sometimes broil up some fresh ground turkey and scramble 1 egg each, and mix that with their dry food. They’ll eat the dry food to get to the fresh turkey, they love it so much, lol.
    Occasionally, I boil fresh broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to mix in.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s not cheaper to feed them like this rather than buying all this can food. Get’s expensive!

#62609 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Well, here we are about 26 hours later, I cooked a three pound bag of chicken necks, which cost $6.15 at My Pet Carnivore, in my Crock-Pot for 24 hours. I put it out in my sunroom so I didn’t have to smell it overnight (which believe it or not, I still did). I stirred it periodically and kept an eye on it constantly.

I strained it and left plenty of opportunity for every drop off liquid to drain through. I strained off the fat after it sat for a short period of time and the fat had congealed a bit. Then I poured all 12 ounces of my homemade bone broth into a mug. Yep, 12 ounces. Wowee.

I also just got a response from THK and she said she thought offering a dehydrated bone broth as a regular product offering was a great idea. I’m in. Whatever it costs for someone else to make the stuff. I’m in. I paid $19.99 for three tins of broth from THK, which I now appreciate was a phenomenal bargain. Oh yeah, I was purging earlier (closets, refrigerator, etc.), and I threw away Ziploc bags of bone broth from the last time I made it when I neglected to date the bags and time passes so much quicker than I ever think it does. I also threw away bacon, pork chops, steaks and beef tips in mushroom gravy from the local butcher that I don’t know if I put them in the freezer in time or, how long they had been there in the first place.

I just put a candle on the table in the sunroom to, hopefully, eradicate the chicken smell.

#62612 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’m sure I have a bag full of chicken feet somewhere. Maybe I’ll make some broth with those – outside on the patio table!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #62614 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I kicked around the idea of putting chicken feet in mine too, Sandy! I pulled out a bag yesterday and decided to feed them to the dogs instead. Both of mine love chicken feet!

#63045 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

My Chewy order has arrived! The Nature’s Logic kibble doesn’t expire for almost a year, and the Fromm doesn’t for a whopping year and a half, so I’ve got plenty of time! I started the transition for the Fromm kibble tonight, because that was my original plan. She seems to like the kibble, which isn’t a surprise. Once she is fully transitioned to it, I’ll start the THK Thrive as a topper and/or possible meal some of the time.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 260 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.