šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    momtopoms

Anyone feed products from Texas Tripe? Also I have seen raw salmon offered on some sites. I thought salmon had to be cooked because of a parasite.

#20634 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Sandy feeds Texas Tripe. It depends on where the salmon comes from and freezing for a while kills the parasite.

#20636 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve used TT since last fall. I’ve used tripe, tripe blend, beef blend, ground turkey necks, wild boar and also use the organs when making homemade batches (chicken heart, beef heart, pork organs, beef spleen) and other organs from the grocery store. I make my own poultry blends. The salmon is wild caught Pacific Salmon and I haven’t bought it since I get whole wild caught sardines at El Rancho supermarket.

This is from Roger (Texas Tripe) , “the Salmon is wild caught Pacific Salmon, I have wrote several articles dealing with this subject. I will try to find them and send it to you. but in a nut shell… there are no reported cases in the last number of years of trichinosis, also freezing at 0 degrees for 24 hours kills most strains of trichinosis and all of the strains that have been known to be in the U.S.”

You can join the DFW_BARF@yahoogroups.com. This is the local raw feeding group. Of course, we talk about other things too.

That being said, I really don’t know much about fish parasites other than to freeze. I’d really rec’ getting an upright freezer so you can rotate products. Much easier to find things than in a chest freezer especially since I bought nearly 300 lbs at once!

#20637 Report Abuse
    momtopoms

Thanks pugmomsandy. I’m in central Texas but we are on their delivery route according to the website.
    I still have some hare today in the freezer but need more soon. I was nervous about ordering from hare today in the summer, it’s so darn hot here. I’m excited to find a more local source.

#23220 Report Abuse
    SpecV2008
    Participant

I’ve been using Texas Tripe for about a year now. They’re super friendly and Roger has always answered my questions pretty quickly.
    I’ve ordered almost every product on their site with exception of the whole salmon because it’s a little too costly with two large dogs. I have used the salmon and egg blend and was very pleased with it.
    I’ll be getting a very large order from them on Tuesday and I can’t WAIT lol

#144901 Report Abuse
    John T
    #145226 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

It is salmon and trout that is from the Pacific Northwest that can carry the parasite Nanophyetus salmincola that is itself infected with an organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca–not trichinosis–that causes fatal “salmon poisoning” in dogs.

There are conflicting reports about how long and at how deep a temperature one needs to freeze salmon to kill the Neorickettsia helminthoeca.

That a producer is talking about trichinosis and NOT Nanophyetus salmincola and Neorickettsia helminthoeca gives me pause.

It is Neorickettsia helminthoeca that caused death. The parasite Nanophyetus salmincola is just a carrier.

I’m an enthusiastic PMR raw feeder but there is no way I’d feed salmon from the PNW to a dog raw.

This is a fatal illness unless it is recognized and treated quickly. Not worth the risk IMO.

Bill

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Spy Car.
    #164578 Report Abuse
    Scott H
    Participant

Bill

kfools is the biggest asshole on the internet.

We want to make our own dog food.. It is in short supply.

Scott

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Scott H. Reason: relevancy
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.