🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Melinda J
    Participant

I was wondering if you could do a rating on the Small Breed Grain Free Dry Kibble from Pure Balance. I noticed that the ingredients are a little different than the regular kibble. Is there anything in it that may be known as a common allergen?

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, dried ground pea, tapioca, whole ground potato, turkey meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, pea protein, natural flavor, dried ground carrot, dried egg powder, sunflower oil, dicalcium phosphate, salt, menhaden fish oil, zinc proteinate, l-threonine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, choline chloride, taurine, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, dl-methionine, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, biotin, l-carnitine, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Also, this is a supplement that I am curious about. It is called: The One from Front of the Pack

Ingredients:

Active ingredients
    Ingredient Typical values per scoop
    Partially hydrolyzed guar gum (SunFiber®) 525mg
    Whole Antarctic krill meal (Qrill®; Euphasia superba) 500mg
    Glucosamine HCI (GreenGrown® [shellfish-free]) 250mg
    Chondroitin Sulphate (CS b-Bioactive® [bovine]) 100mg
    Methylsulfonylmethane (OptiMSM®) 100mg
    Taurine (Ajipure®) 100mg
    Curcumin Phytosome® complex (Meriva®; Curcuma longa [root]) 60mg
    L-carnitine (Carniking®) 50mg
    Bifidobacterium lactis BPL1 CECT 8145 (heat-treated) 50mg
    Green tea extract (Sunphenon® 90D; Camellia sinesis [leaf], decaffeinated) 40mg
    Certified organic ashwagandha extract (Sensoril®; Withania somnifera [root, leaf]) 30mg
    L-theanine (Suntheanine® enzymatically produced/solvent-free) 25mg
    Other ingredients
    Certified organic brown kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum), sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides [fruit]), natural chicken flavor (vegan), silicon dioxide mineral source; stabilizer/carrier for L-carnitine].

1 Certified organic by EcoCert
    2 Certified organic by Baystate Organic Certifiers

Macronutrient facts
    Amount per serving
    Calories < 4
    Calories from fat < 2
    Total fat < 0.2g
    Total carbohydrate 0.4g
    Dietary fiber 0.4g
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 0.3g
    Not intended to replace meals or food. Use as a supplement only.

#173320 Report Abuse
    Lluís Y
    Participant

Please let me know where to find the CA/ P (Calcium / Phosphor) ratio per all recommended products. In particular I am very interested to know why best brands do not publish the protein, fat and carbohidrats compostion as well as if it include an specific amount of vitamines and minerals.

My suggestion : .dogfoodadvisor MUST propose an standard form to be filled in (or not) for any manufacturer. Of course those who do not facilitate the whole form ….

Anyway this is how other industries control the Quality of any given product.

Thanks indeed for your task.

Lluís Ybero

#173321 Report Abuse
    Lluís Y
    Participant

Please let me know where to find the CA/ P (Calcium / Phosphor) ratio per all recommended products. As you remark it is essential to care for Ca/P content for Puppies and Large Breeds like German Shepperd. You mention overexposure to Ca but what about getting too short on Ca? Thank you!! I forgot this in my previous post.

In particular I am very interested to know why best brands do not publish the protein, fat and carbohidrats compostion as well as if it includes an specific amount of vitamines and minerals.

My suggestion : .dogfoodadvisor MUST propose an standard form to be filled in (or not) for any manufacturer. Of course those who do not facilitate the whole form ….

Anyway this is how other industries control the Quality of any given product.

Thanks indeed for your task.

Lluís Ybero

#175314 Report Abuse
    Dawn K
    Participant

New-ish to the forums, so hello everyone!

I would like to request a review of the Acana & Orijen grain-free wet/canned dog foods that have recently shown up in my local PetCo. Both can be easily found by searching the PetCo site for “Acana wet” & “Orijen wet.” (I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to include hyperlinks here or not.)

I’ve been using them for a few weeks at the recommendation of PetCo staff (also known as my son’s girlfriend) & I know they’re a popular name in the industry, but I’d feel safer feeding them to my large-breed puppy (GSD/Hound mix; 13 months; 80+ pounds) & dog (Rottie/Pit/Boxer/Lab mix; 2 years; 70+ pounds) if this site gave them a good rating.

Our dogs are normally fed Wellness Complete dry (large breed puppy & large breed adult) with wet as a topper. I do not use the Acana/Orijen exclusively & offer my pups a select variety of wet toppers (usually Merrick, Canidae, Wellness, & WholeHearted), both with & without grain. I prefer with grain, but am sometimes at the mercy of what the store has in-stock.

We’ve tried most flavors & varieties of the Acana/Orijen canned offerings with mostly positive reviews from our canine taste-testers. I will say that my puppy was not a fan of either puppy option & generally refused to eat both.

Also, is it odd they they also seem to be exclusively available at PetCo? PetCo seems to be really pushing these two wet foods & they have always been in stock for the past month or so, even when other popular brands were unavailable.

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.