šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jodi W

hello! My dog (10 years, border collie mix) is currently in the hospital being treated for pancreatitis. Of course she will need a low fat diet when released (hopefully tomorrow!), but there is a caveat – she has a slight meat allergy. Too much meat and she itches like a crazy person. As a result, I currently feed her Natural Balance Veggie formula. Any suggestions on a new diet? There is a nutritionist at the hospital and she will help me develop a new diet, but thought I’d do a bit of research on my own. TIA

#41023 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

My boy was just diagnosed 2 months ago, I boil chicken breast, boil butternut pumkin & a boiled egg..I shread the chicken breast & mash it all together, I get enough chicken breast & pumkin for 1 fortnight & cook it all then freeze little meals..I just give the cook meal for breakfast & his kibble at night, Ive read that kibble isnt good for dogs with Pancreatitis, ur better off with a real low fat wet food, its easier to digest, I cook cause Im in Australia & the wet food fat % isnt low enough in fat, the lowest I can get is 3% fat, thats the Wellness senior…it needs to be around 1% fat, U’ll have to learn how to convert wet fat % into dry matter its easy, My vet also said when on a kibble fat% has to be under 10% fat, he said, he likes it to be 8% fat, alot of senior foods are low in fat but. You say she has a slight meat allergy that makes her itch, you sure its not carbohydrates, Carbohyrates make dogs itch, my boy cant have potatos or sweet potatos, he goes nuts scratching & his ears start to itch as well….Im sure other people on here will have some really good low fat foods..

#41024 Report Abuse
    Jodi W

Thank you so much for the reply. I am sure the allergy is meat based – her itching stopped when I switched her to vegetarian food. I will most likely be home cooking the food myself. Although I did find what seems to be a really good low fat vegetarian dinner by Evanger’s, but it’s wet food. I’ve never been a fan of feeding primarily wet food, but if that’s what I need to do that’s what I need to do.

#41028 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

She can’t be allergic to every kind of meat. Maybe you should try narrowing down what type she is allergic to. Chicken and beef allergies are extrmely common.

#41033 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Yes, what foods had you tried in the past? They could help narrow it down. I have one client whose dog has serious intolerances and she found feeding a kangaroo diet helped a lot. You definitely want to try and find some meat for your pup

#41067 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi. since ur cooking why dont you start an elminantion diet with meats, say u start with chicken, boil a chicken breast & just add say 1/4 cup with rice or whatever she has eaten before & hasnt scratched, you’ll know within 2-3 days if she’s allergic to the chicken if she starts scratching, then if the chicken goes good least she can have 1 meat in her diet…then after 1 month if you feel like trying another meat like Kangaroo..Kangaroo is very low in fat a very lean meat.excellent for pancreatitis,

#41095 Report Abuse
    Jodi W

She’s been on chicken, lamb, salmon, duck, and beef. Salmon worked the longest – a year or so before she developed an allergy to that too. I got tired of seeing her suffer so I switched to the Vegetarian formula of Natural Balance and it has been fine ever since.

#42750 Report Abuse
    Nancy A

Hello, We have a mini long-haired Doxie mix (with what, we wish we knew!) who has food protein allergies, and a long-haired Chihuahua mix (again, the mix is a mystery) who has had frequent bouts of pancreatitis (he has been stable for quite awhile now). We prepare the food for our allergic dog using a product called BalanceIT.
    https://secure.balanceit.com/
    BalanceIT was created by a vet (formerly on the UC Davis faculty) and products include supplements for making homemade food as well as a product that you simply add to a protein source (if vegetarian, either nuts or tofu) and gives you the recipe. I’ve recommended it three times on this forum today alone (I swear I’m not an employee, it just works for us). Good luck–when our little guy ends up in the hospital my husband thinks I need a psychiatrist (I probably do).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.