Pinto Canyon Review?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Pinto Canyon Review?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mark C

I am seriously considering Pinto Canyon’s dog food. I looked here and could not find a review or rating for it. Has anyone tried this food?

#120928 Report Abuse
    joanne l

never heard of it, what kind of food are you looking for?

#120932 Report Abuse
    cyndi k

I stopped by here looking for a review of Pinto Canyon. I absolutely loved Flint River Ranch Dog Food as my dog loved the food, but the company went out of business. Life’s Abundance acquired Flint River Ranch. However, Life’s Abundance per my conversation with them this morning, will not be formulating an oven baked product similar to Flint River Ranch. I stumbled upon Pinto Canyon as I look for another oven baked dog food. I went ahead and ordered a bag today.

#120979 Report Abuse
    Mark C

Thanks Cyndi. I’m a week into the bag and am feeding it to my fox terrier. She seems to like it so far. Once I get down on my Other guys’ food I’ll be switching them too. It seems like a good food, just don’t understand why DFA hasn’t reviewed it. Hope your dogs like the food.

#121633 Report Abuse
    Sara C

I have been giving my three cavaliers pinto canyon chicken baked dog food for the last 6 months. After Flint River ditched their brand, I switched to another brand…which ended up ditching their brand a year later. I was searching to see if Flint river had sold their recipe and ended up having a conversation with Lisa at Pinto Canyon. They handled Flint river distribution and know the recipes. The recipes are essentially duplicated from what I can understand and my dogs like it. I like having a baked vs extruded dog food (my dad was a dog food manufacturer so I’ve seen some interesting things). The smell is quite strong to me so it’s in a sealed container. I’ve never had any stomach issues either. I like that it’s made in US and they bake in small batches and test each batch. The customer service is EXTREMELY attentive and checking on your pups etc, via email. I really do recommend it for your favorite doggy children.

#121634 Report Abuse
    Sara C

I’m only guessing, but I assume it’s not reviewed because they only recently picked up the business andirons cannot be purchased in stores. They are relying on word of mouth as they don’t have original client lists

#128084 Report Abuse
    Melissa J

I can’t review the food because UPS lost my order. I may try ordering it again and holidays when there is less theft. I wanted to point out this isn’t made in USA. Not that is a bad thing considering dog food that is made in the USA is filled with so many toxic ingredients that is causing cancer, obesity, diabetes and death in our pets. Who knew euthanized pets where put in dogs food?? I didn’t. Anyway this is made in Canada, not saying that is a bad thing either but I’m just curious as to why when you read pinto canyon website it sounds like it’s made right here in Texas. You have to read every tab to see their facility is in Canada. Again not saying that is a bad thing or good, I’m hoping it depends on the company that owns it. Because my dog developed allergies and I went through 4 vets, yes 1 holistic, steroids, antibiotics, Chinese herbs, acupuncture, over$1000, and no diagnosis of what the allergies are, the last vet said she needed to be put on meds the rest of her life, cost about $200+mo. So I started my own search. One thing I learned is Canada has worse regulations on their pet food industry then we do. I’ve also learned that if we do want to give kibble oven baked is better than extruded. Only concern here is if it’s made in Canada, distributed by pinto canyon, who is really the owner of the company? This food is only about $20. more than the toxic stuff I’ve fed her for 8yrs so I can’t help but wonder why they make it sound like it is made in USA and not Canada. I’ll update if I find out. Even if you Google where is pinto canyon dog food made, you won’t find it.

#128583 Report Abuse
    Bazuhi

I am very interested in the reviews on this food too.
    The thing I do not like about it s far is Dehydrated alfalfa meal,

#131569 Report Abuse
    Hilary L

I have been feeding this dog food to my 8 month old & 10 month old puppy. After trying to find a dog food that wouldn’t give them loose stool, I found Pinto Canyon and my life got much easier. No more messy stools or upset stomachs. My puppies are very healthy and happy with this food. I have had dogs my whole life and have tried to feed many different dog foods but no more searching for me. This food is an excellent match for my Border Collie and Boston Terrier. What a relief.

#152208 Report Abuse
    Susan G
    Participant

Why doesn’t Dog Food Advisor review Pinto Canyon dog foods?
    The dental surgeon that writes the reviews at Dog Food Advisor receives money from chewy.com, so he typically reviews foods that are sold on chewy.com. This statement is on his website:

“However, we do receive a fee from Chewy.com for each purchase made as a direct result of a referral from our website.”

We’d love it if you’d ask him to review Pinto Canyon!

#153757 Report Abuse
    Steve S

I had the same problem when Flint River shut down, then I happened to find in my research, Pinto Canyon.
    Both my Yorkie and Lhasa Apso have been on Pinto Canyon Chicken and Brown Rice for over 6 months and love it, getting ready to reorder tonite 😊

#155801 Report Abuse
    keath R
    Participant

Been using pinto canyon for almost a year all our shiba inu and jinod love it used to feed flint river til they went away it has been excellent food and ships really fast even right now when we order resupply we get 2 bags at a time

#157370 Report Abuse
    Kathy W
    Participant

I too was a Flint River Ranch customer for my 3 Alaskan Malamutes. I was devasted when they went out of business. I followed as Life’s Abundance bought them, then something happened and they stopped producing it, etc etc.
    I had my dogs all settled on another high end dry dog food – not easy with these guys – and found Pinto Canyon. Spoke to their rep who was fantastic. Bought a supply and tried it. Dogs were happy with it. It didn’t disrupt their stomachs (which we can attest to how bad that is when cleaning up the yard).
    Trying now to decide if I want to switch the pack back to Pinto or leave as is. It definitely costs more and the market must be tough to make it in or they never would have gone out of business.
    Family member is getting a puppy so we will probably go Pinto Canyon.
    I too wish the site would review this food, but as quoted in a blog above –

“However, we do receive a fee from Chewy.com for each purchase made as a direct result of a referral from our website.”

No wonder smaller companies have a tough time making it.

#168375 Report Abuse
    KathyA P
    Participant

I talked to the company several times before buying one bag to try. Just get ready to start one of our 12 dogs on it to see how she does. The person I talked to told me the food is made in Canada. Supposedly Canada has stricter regulations on dog food than the USA when I googled it. I’m trying Pinto Canyon on a 65 lb German Shorthaired Pointer first. I’m also trying Coast and Range food on the six small dogs. Will update later.

#168449 Report Abuse
    Kathy W
    Participant

Your “Teeth cleaning pen” sounds like a whitening kit for people.
    We don’t use these site to peddle boxes of cookies, so find somewhere else to peddle your product.

#168457 Report Abuse
    KathyA P
    Participant

Kathy W: thanks for posting a response to Joan Shi. I asked why she was posting about the pen after several different posts. She never responded. I’m here to see what people have to say about various dog foods only. Have a great day!

#168680 Report Abuse
    Kathy W
    Participant

Joan Shi – please quit trolling this site attempting to peddle your wares. I not only would never purchase your dog brush, I wouldn’t purchase anything else you promoted either. Can’t you have your friends/relatives over for a in house extortion party instead of us reading about your stuff?

#168702 Report Abuse
    Mike S
    Participant

Test reply

#168703 Report Abuse
    Mike S
    Participant

Test reply #2

#177499 Report Abuse
    Stanley M
    Participant

We used to feed our police K9 Flint River Ranch. I retired and have always had 2 large dogs, Shepard’s, Golden, Labs.

Pinto Canyon trades off the Flint River brand, but by association. The food appears to be the same high quality.

My labs love it. It’s pricey but if you feed in the amounts Pinto says, you’ll save and see your pups remain a healthy weight and body. Cleanup is also small. I’ve been using PC for a year now. Small bags because there is no preservatives. No retail so you always get a fresh bag; free shipping. You can mix flavors without any mixing/waiting time. Support is awesome in terms of contact and answers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.