šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Diana Reeves
    Participant

I am hoping someone can help with this. I have a 3 pound Yorkie who has kidney disease from a treat I fed her 5 years ago that was made in China. Her renal tubules are damaged and she has trouble reabsorbing protein. She is a fussy eater and the only thing she will currently eat is K-D prescription diet (14% protein, kibbles), which is made with GMO corn. GMO corn is linked to kidney disease and you have to wonder why why why? I have another dog who has the same problem and I have been home cooking her food – organic, 12% protein for 5 years. She is 16 years old now and has more energy than I do. Every year my little one gets a little thinner and there is nothing left for her to lose. I need to find a better food for her before it’s too late. Nothing that is organic is low enough protein – she really needs to be at about 12% max. If anyone has any suggestions or knows where I might be able to get someone to make some custom dry food for her, my family would be extremely grateful. Thank you <3.

#13749 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

In general dogs with kidney disease don’t need low protein diets until the final stages – not sure where your girl is at as far as progression of the kidney failure. You’re not going to find a non-prescription food with protein levels that low because the minimum level of protein allowed by the AAFCO is 18% protein on a dry matter basis.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.