🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous A

Two weeks ago my min pin got a lump on his pelvis, vet thought it was arthritis, medicated him for 10 days and it didn’t change so on Monday we brought him to the vet and was told it could be a tumor, they booked a biopsy on Friday, Tuesday he was throwing up, Wednesday his tumor was oozing, Thursday he had bloody diarrhea, Friday they still decided to do his biopsy and following it he couldn’t walk, his IV arm was swollen, his snout was swollen, his was developing these small mast cell tumors all over his body, our vet said they were unrelated… Last night he was uncomfortable and still couldn’t walk (hadn’t eaten since Thursday) so we took him to the emerge vet and she said the biopsy likely aggravated the mast cell tumor which released a lot of histamine and was causing all of his symptoms, his smaller mast cell tumors were slowly bursting which exasperated it so we put him down

#84141 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Sounds something like what a dog I had went through, hemangiosarcoma, it doesn’t show symptoms till it is too late. Often strikes between 8-10 years old (from what I have read).

Sorry for your loss.

#84142 Report Abuse
    Anonymous A

Thank you. I wish I had known that the biopsy would aggrevate the tumor. I never read anything anywhere about that. Had I known, I would’ve never gone through with it.

#84145 Report Abuse
    anonymously

You were trying to help him, if he had multiple tumors, he was on borrowed time. Especially if the tumors had spread to the lungs, they can’t breathe.

Please take care of yourself, you did everything you could. I know how hard this is.

#84148 Report Abuse
    Anonymous A

Our family of 3 is now a couple. It just doesn’t work without him. The grief we are feeling is so much worse than we could have ever imagined.

#84150 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Mast cell tumors are like that. You never know what will trigger them. Often it’s foods or other things that trigger a histamine release, including heavy pollen. I’m so sorry for your loss, but you did everything right. You couldn’t have known what would happen or if something else would have caused the exact same results.

#84154 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

My heart breaks for you. I too lost a guy fairly recently to HSA on the right aorta. He was what I called a better behaved 8 month old. He was actually a very young, funny, happy, mischievous at times 8 y/o. He was diagnosed 2 wks after turning 8.
    That dog never had a bad day. He was never sick either. He was so perfect in so many ways.
    Luckily I had vets who knew what it was we were dealing with and advised against surgery. It may have bought him more time, but it likely would not have had the quality that managing it gave him.
    HSA is an incredibly sneaky disease. 1 of his vets said it’s usually the tumor rupturing and bleeding out that ends their life as opposed to the cancer cells.
    Usually by the time really noticeable/worrisome symptoms show the tumor is already at a size where removal is likely too risky.

I hope soon you will be able to enjoy the memories of your time together. That is his gift to you.
    Take the lesson you have learned and forgive yourself for being merely human without all the answers. You did exactly what you believed to be in his best interest then made the hardest decision anyone ever has to make. Your actions were selfless and kind. I’m sure he wouldn’t want you beating yourself up. If it happens again you now know the subtle signs of the disease.
    Be as kind to yourself as you were to him.

#84159 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m sorry for your loss 🙁

#84164 Report Abuse
    C4D

I’m so sorry for your loss. Dogs have a special place in our hearts. It seems we lose them too soon no matter what the cause. It is a terrible pain when they are gone. It sounds like he was a very lucky boy to have you. You did the very best you could and I’m sure he knows he was loved by you for his entire life.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.