šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christie
    Participant

Any help is most appreciated.

I have 2 dogs: a 13 1/2 yo pittie mix and an 8 yo catahoula mix. My senior boy has health issues and is underweight at 93lbs and my catahoula is overweight at 52lbs.

My dogs are extremely picky eaters. My senior boy has a large tumor under his skin (front chest) that the vet would’ve liked to remove but given his age and health issues, has a wait and see approach. She did recommend switching to a food that has a lower carbohydrate percentage in case it turns out that the tumor is cancerous.

I had switched both to The Farmer’s Dog but after 2 months it just wasn’t affordable.

None of the dog food brands list carb percentages on the bags. And short of calling every manufacturer to get that info, does anyone know off hand any brands that are typically low carb.

The only wrench thrown into the situation is that after feeding my dogs Merrick for years, the 8 year old developed a heart murmur 3 years ago. At the time the vet I went to urged me to stop feeding her grain free food. I switched them to a grain inclusive brand that was recommended (that I wasn’t fond of) but after 3 years and OTC supplements, the heart murmur has improved.

So while I’m not against grain free as a whole, I am weary in choosing a food that is pulse heavy.

#189278 Report Abuse
    April A
    Participant

Hi, I’m April, and new to this forum.

Try to feed them Sweet potato

It is a safe, healthy, and natural treat for dogs, offering a range of health benefits (and a sweet flavor they’ll likely love). For example, sweet potatoes support a healthy digestive system thanks to their high dietary fiber content.

Have you ever wondered what gives sweet potatoes their yellow, gold, or orange coloring? Itā€™s beta-carotene!

Beta-carotene is an antioxidant that helps reduce the risk of certain types of cancer while simultaneously providing protection against heart disease.

Fun Fact: Dogs can convert beta-carotene to Vitamin A. Cats cannot; they must directly consume preformed Vitamin A.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.