šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

I’m taking care of someone’s 17yr old cat right now. She gets 1-2 cans of Friskies a day (poor baby, I know). Two days ago, I had put 2 cans in her dish – just dumped the whole can-ful in, didn’t break it up or anything. I came back the next day, and there was about 1/4 of it left, so I took the fork to scrape into the trash.

I started scraping, then noticed the food was moving. I thought “am I seeing stuff?”, got a closer look, and saw at LEAST a dozen big fat maggots!!!

I have no clue where they came from… But I have a hard time believing that they managed to appear in less than 24hrs, considering the fact that there aren’t any flies in that house.

Is it possible that one of the cans had the parasites in it already?

I’m definitely making sure to thoroughly mash and inspect her food from now on, though!

#39706 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I don’t think bugs would survive the cooking process. I believe the food is placed in the cans and then cooked.

#39771 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Well, it could be possible for food to already be contaminated in the can – one of our forumers had a spoiled can of Merrick, I think, with something black in it or whatever. So IDK, I’m not certain, but I think there may be a possibility that the contamination was in the can to begin with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.