šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Blu3Igu4n4
    Participant

Both of these dog foods have great ingredients but while I was researching more on Orijen, I notice that on the puppy food with the original bag logo contain russet potatoes (amazon ingredient list) and the one with the new logo does not as their website has described
    INGREDIENTS
    Boneless chicken*, chicken meal, chicken liver*, whole herring*, boneless turkey*, turkey meal, turkey liver*, whole eggs*, boneless walleye*, whole salmon*, chicken heart*, chicken cartilage*, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, chicken fat, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams*, pea fiber, chickpeas, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*, blueberries*, brown kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium.

Did they took out the potatoes or is it still the same?
    Also I’m debating which dog food I should get, money is no problem. I have a 7 weeks fixing to be 8 weeks Siberian Husky which I’m feeding her Earthborn Coastal Catch. Or is she fine with Earthborn for now? Excuse for all the questions, I love my puppy and I want to give her the best.

#17734 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Find the thread on large and giant breed nutrition and look for ideas on Hound Dog Mom’s list of foods with appropriate calcium levels. Your dog may be right on the line between medium and large so if I were you I would feed to be on the safe side. Pick a few foods and rotate through them. This helps keep up intestinal health.

#17735 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Orijen was recently re-formulated and no longer contains white potato. I personally think that, of Horizon Legacy, Orijen and Earthborn, Orijen is the best but I wouldn’t limit your pup to only one food. Rotate between different brands and protein sources for variety. I also agree with Patty that your pup may be on that large breed borderline so it may be in the pup’s best interest to feed a food appropriate for large breed puppies until she’s at least 8 months old. The new Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula looks good, Earthborn Coastal Catch and Earthborn Meadow Feast are all good choices for large breed puppies. Horizon Legacy is not appropriate for large breed puppies.

#17747 Report Abuse
    Blu3Igu4n4
    Participant

Thank you I always thought that dogs have to stick to one dog food brand. This is a great website and has taught me a lot about dog food and I’m still learning. Thank you for the help.

#18464 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Just to add another response — personally I’d prefer the Horizon. I really like what I’ve learned about the company and what I can see in the ingredients. I’d personally feel more confidence and trust in Horizon’s products, especially the fish ones.

I agree with the above comments regarding variety & rotating foods.

I’m also a big believer in giving high quality fresh whole foods (gently cooked or raw), to supplement whatever kibble/canned, if you’re not going to feed homemade exclusively or at least part of the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.