🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lisanna

Hello there. I have been reading through the threads here as part of my research about dog nutrition but am hopelessly confused. What confuses me the most is how a diet that would be unhealthy for humans: consisting of 15% fat, 25% protein and 60% [a common macronutrient ratio of dog food], can be healthy for a dog? Of course I understand dogs are different from humans, but are they so different that such a macro ratio that would be extremely unhealthy for humans is healthy for dogs? Is fat really unhealthy for dogs? Why?

The other confusing element is knowing that a dog in the wild would likely be eating a diet of mostly animal byproducts. I have read 70% animal byproducts and 30% plants. I don’t know if this is true, but I do find it very hard to believe that a dog would be eating a diet in the wild that consisted of 60% carbohydrates. And potatoes? I don’t get it.

As a voracious nutrition researcher, I know there are many, many myths and cults in human nutrition. Is the world of dog nutrition different?

Can someone please direct me to some good research on dog nutrition and help me understand? I appreciate all responses!

#148141 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Go here for science-based information: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

#148143 Report Abuse
    Lisanna

Thank you! This looks right up my alley.

#148144 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You’re welcome! I have found the site very helpful. Make sure to use the search engine to look up specific topics 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.