Homemade diet supplement

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Homemade diet supplement

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Soph M

I have just started feeding my adult dog a 100% homemade diet. I use raw vegetables and cooked meat. What supplements do you recommend to make sure that she gets all the nutrients that she needs? Have any of you tried the Hilary’s Blend supplement?

#100559 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Soph M,

Have you checked out balanceit dot com? That’s the only one I’d trust. In regards to raw veggies I’d puree or cook them to get the most benefit from them.

#100560 Report Abuse
    Soph M

I will check out balanceit dot com, Aimee. Thanks for the recommendation!

#100621 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi another thing I’d add to your dogs diet buy tin sardines in spring water or olive oil & add about 1-3 small sardines {I don’t know how big your dog is}?? add to one of the meals a day, Sardines are excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids for the dogs skin, coat, joints, bones, eyes, brain & heart…

#100633 Report Abuse
    Soph M

Hi Susan, my dog is about 16 pounds. The recipes that I use include cod liver oil and safflower oil, so do you think that I should add a sardine in addition to those?

What do you recommend for adding calcium? I’ve heard that a lot of people use eggshells or bonemeal for calcium, but I don’t know how much to add.

#100646 Report Abuse
    Marie P

For a good Homemade diet supplement we use NuVET Plus on all our dogs and cats..
    Take a look here for more info on Doggie Meatball Recipes and more — We have a gluten free oat option too for Dog meatloaf or meatballs. Follow recipe here and links to supplements. WE use bone meal by NOW company http://***************.blogspot.com/2014/12/recipe-for-doggie-meatballs-home.html

#160945 Report Abuse
    joh m

Hello every body,
    Please follow me

#162306 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi Soph, so great that you switched to a 100% homemade diet for your girl. My pup is about the same size as yours and eggshells didn’t work for him. Bonemeals are often high in toxic heavy metals such as lead, and low-level lead poisoning can damage kidneys, liver and nerves over time so I would be careful with them.

If you don’t feed any raw bones, you can use GreenMin as the main calcium source. Dr. Dobias has found that dogs who are on GreenMin, and are not consuming any bone in their diet, consistently have results within normal ranges for calcium levels on their hair analysis test.

Also, please be aware that Balanceit. com provides synthetic vitamin & mineral mixes. I was considering it many years ago when we switched to a homemade diet but I don’t like feeding anything that is NOT natural. There is a big difference in how the body abosorbs nutrients from whole food-based vs synthetic chemical-based supplements.

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/15188693-synthetic-supplements-for-dogs-can-cause-serious-problems

We have been using the Fab4 (GreenMin, SoulFood, GutSense, and FeelGood Omega) for many years and our dog loves them. He is super healthy at the age of 10 and we are very grateful for Dr. Dobias and his pure products.

https://peterdobias.com/collections/adult-dog-essentials

These natural supplements are like wholesome food, the body recognizes them as such and only absorbs what it requires. As every dog has slightly different nutritional requirements, it’s best to provide a wide variety of nutrients to support the body. Here is what we add to our pup’s homemade diet to fill in any nutritional gaps.

GreenMin, as a source of plant-based minerals, calcium, amino-acids, and super greens
    SoulFood, as a certified organic multivitamin with additional organ support components
    GutSense, as a source of dog specific certified organic probiotics
    FeelGood Omega, to supplement Essential Fatty Acids (omega 3s) – Sardines can be high in toxic strontium!

In a perfect world, a wide variety of food would keep your dog’s body nourished and no supplements would be required. The problem is, due to intensive agriculture, minerals and nutrients do not get recycled back into the soil, leading to a lack of minerals in the whole food chain.

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/15072565-how-many-supplements-are-too-many-for-your-dog

I encourage you to do your own research and only choose the highest quality products for your dog. They deserve the best! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.