🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michelle A

My beagle has put on some serious weight in the past few years as he’s now a senior and just not as active. He’s always had food allergies, and our vet is now recommending a grain free, chicken free diet food, suggesting salmon, sweet potatoes, whitefish, etc.

Any ideas where I can find this?!

#110283 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Zignature whitefish or Nutrisca Salmon, as a base. Add a little water and a bit of scrambled egg. Measured amounts twice a day. Go by the lowest recommended amount on the bag or even less, divided into 2 meals, or 3 smaller meals per day. Give a bite at bedtime after coming in from doing his business (as a reward)

Walk the dog more, even if it is in slow motion, around the block several times per day.

No snacks, except 1/2 of a raw carrot once a day to chew on.

PS: Some dogs don’t do well with potatoes (sweet or white) so I would avoid for now, as some kibbles are loaded with them.

#110284 Report Abuse
    Michelle A

Thanks, I do walk him he gets taken for at least a mile a day, even if its broken up. unfortunately I cant give him egg as it causes gas and he gets bloated, and even more lethargic. I’ll look in to that food.

#110285 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Well, find a protein topper that he likes. How about a little canned tuna, not everyday….my dogs like it 🙂
    Cooked hamburger? Cooked ground turkey? Just a little something mixed in with the dry kibble plus a little water.

#110286 Report Abuse
    Michelle A

as much as i love my dog, i’m not about to cook for him 😉 not just that, but there are 4 other dogs in the house i have to think about as well. I dont mind if theyre each on different food that works for them, but it needs to be a seamless feeding time otherwise we have issues.

He doesnt have a problem eating, he’s a beagle haha he’ll eat ANYTHING, so its more about what he’s scarfing down

#110287 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Maybe a combo of canned food and dry? Check the brands I mentioned. I believe they have grain free, chicken free.

#110288 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Michelle A-
    What are you feeding him now? Do you know how many calories per cup it is? I try to keep the calories at 350 or less per cup for my two neutered male labs that love to eat! Whole Earth Farms has a few grain free formulas that do not have chicken in them. They do use potatoes as their carb, both white and sweet. My dogs do very well on this food. I feed a few different brands trying to keep the protein around 24% to 28% and the fat between 10% to 14%. Mine also do a little better with a higher fiber food around 5% to 6%.

The food doesn’t necessarily need to be advertised as a weight loss food to fit these specifications. Good luck to you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.