šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steven K

Please provide input/suggestions, and if possible, those with German Shepherds. Thank you very much!

A quick intro-wife and I used to raise Rotties. I always had German Shepherds growing up. We are now 80% empty nesters and recently bought a GS puppy-male. On Monday he was 10 wks old. I am currently mixing Taste of the Wild High Prairie and Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Grain-Free (Dry) Beef Frittata. I wet it w/ warm water. He loves it, clean bowl at every meal. For reward treats we’ve been using Orijen & Zukes and baby carrots, both cooked and raw. I know raw don’t get 100% digested, but he loves crunchy on those. He loves Orijen, but they are expensive.
    Again, wanting opinions and suggestions from those that have been raising Shepherds as we are new to the game-been some time since we’ve had a puppy!
    Thanks

#41537 Report Abuse
    Alice M

Hello,

I own a 4 year old German Shepherd. I find she does well on duck dry food and I try to keep the fat and protein levels normal and grain free. She does well with digestion with duck protein Also I mix in a little wet food and steamed vegetables. ( carrots, peas, squash, beans) No beef products. I am using Go Sensitivity and Shine, although I am thinking about trying the Fromm duck food. I also look for treats that are low in fat and grain free.
    I’ve tried the Zuke’s dental treats, they seem to cause loose stools.

#44034 Report Abuse
    Leslie P

I have a 9 year old female GSD, adopted 2 months ago, and a 5 year old male GSD I’ve had since he was a puppy. The male is overweight and not losing anymore so we’re off to the vet today; he’s been on 2 cups of grain free Authority Chicken & Potato Large Breed. We were on Taste of the Wild but it is expensive. Since we switched to grain free, he is scratching less and his coat is softer; so I like grain free for that. My problem is the weight isn’t coming off even though I dropped him from 4 cups to 2. We walk for 45 minutes a day and play ball in the backyard.

My female is ideal weight!
    Any ideas?

#44053 Report Abuse
    Case

TOTW is expensive?

#44057 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you are used to getting away with feeding cheap grocery store brands, then TOTW is expensive. Some of us with dogs with issues consider it to be cheap. I don’t think twice about spending $3+ a pound on dog food anymore.

#44061 Report Abuse
    Leslie P

I’m the only income, a teacher in TX, so I don’t make a lot of money. My dogs mean everything in the world to me. For my situation, $50.00 for a 30lb bag was fine for 1 GSD, but for 2, it’s too much. Authority Grain Free Chicken & Potato at $20 for 20 pounds works, by the way, it gets 4 stars from DFA. If I could spend $3. a pound on dog food, I would.

#44063 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Two excellent quality, budget friendly foods you might want to check out are Dr. Tim’s and Victor. If you can find Victor locally, it’s usually priced at about $38.99 for a 30 pound bag of the grain free and the same price for a 40 pound bag of the grain inclusive.

Here’s the Victor product locator: http://www.victordogfood.com/. Click on the “find a dealer” tab.

#44065 Report Abuse
    Leslie P

Thank you Betsy for your help!

#44076 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Leslie

I’m not by any means trying to say that everyone should be happy to spend that much on dog food. I wish I could find good cheaper food for Micah. He just has too many food issues for that to be feasible. Just pointing out that what people consider expensive has to do with circumstances, not actual numbers.

Both the foods Betsy mentioned are excellent foods at a great price, neither will work for my dog, but for you they might be great. Is your male neutered? That might be why he needs so little food, slow metabolism. You may also find that he loses or gains depending on the time of year/temperature. He may be lying flat out to cool off more at this time of year.

#44417 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Betsy – I agree. My GSD 18 mo old puppy has suffered several months after transitioning to ORIGEN and ACANA from Taste of Wild High Prairie. I moved off TOW due to recalls. did not want to take a risk. He was doing well on TOW – no problem EXCEPT it took 5 cups a day to keep his weight stable. Calorie count on TOW is low.
    On ORIGEN and ACANA — OMG diarrhea beyond belief, Metronidole, VET BILLS, Hills’ Rx WD food for 6 to 8 weeks, OMG it has been awful. Vet thinks those were too rich for him. ? He did fine on both UNTIL we got to 50/50. Lots of things in TOW, so I think it must have been the chickpeas/ Lentils in O and A. Both have it. Even Acana Singles have it as one of prime ingredients!

I have switched to DR TIMS Persuit and so far he is doing beautifully. DR TIMS is a great food. And Victor’s Professional (PURPLE BAG) is on my list. A GSD Breeder of 20 yrs wrote in about it and she swears by it. Gives it to ALL her GSDs. Also Brothers complete – but is very pricey. However, after a bad bout with Diarrhea my theory is you either pay up front with good food or PAY THE VET.

Best of luck!

#44419 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Gee — Brothers Complete… an excellent food. Don’t understand WHY the DFA changed Brothers to stars. hummmm

#44420 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

This is wierd… a hint: the opposite of sisters. Someone clue me in. We’ve mentioned DR TIMS and O and A and TOW….

#44433 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

IDK… interesting! There was some spamming going on overnight so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

#44443 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

This has been the case for a while now and it’s because anytime the name is mentioned some troll thinks they have to post a bunch of garbage.

#44467 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I see no stars, it says Brothers.

#44469 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The stars were there. I think Dr Mike changed the settings after it was mentioned on another thread.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.