šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kathie c

I have two Irish Wolfhounds. They just turned 1 year. I’ve been feeding Diamond Natural Salmon & Potato, grain free. A few months ago I switched to lamb and rice because I keep reading about the ingredients that contribute to DCM. Is anyone aware of a grainfree food that does not contain peas/lentils/pea-flour/chickpeas/etc? It seems that at least one of these ingredients is in every food and these all seem to be linked to DCM. Or should I keep with the lamb and rice? But that is also not free of questionable ingredients. Help! This food research is confusing. I have young giant breeds and their protein vs calcium needs are confusing enough. Did I also mention that my two girls are spoiled rotten and insist that I top their dry food with eggs, cheese, beef, baloney, chicken, yogurt, etc. I would love to hear from others who have researched and who are also giant owners. Thanks!

#132923 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Giant breed puppies have no protein requirements. Dogs are mostly carnivorous. Find a good high meat large breed puppy food and donā€™t worry about anything else. There is no conclusive info on the legume/dcm issue. If you stick with a high meat diet you shouldnā€™t have to worry about anything. A good food to look into is wellness core large breed puppy, and large breed puppy natureā€™s variety instinct raw boost. Those are two good options. There are others out there. Take a look at chewy and use the terms large breed puppy. Look for foods that have 3+ more proteins in the top 5 ingredients. And if you want to be extra safe you can e-mail the company and ask where their protein levels are coming from (plant or meat) you can also ask if the calcium ratios are correct for large breed puppies. Some puppy foods are safe but arenā€™t labeled for large breeds. While some that say all breeds and life stages may not be safe for large breed puppies. So itā€™s helpful to emails the companies.
    It also sounds like youā€™re using toppers which is a good thing. Trying bone broths and freeze dried raw mixers too. They are both great for natural sources of taurine. I would cut out the processed meats tho. Whatever you use for toppers should be plain, no seasoning, no garlic or onion.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by haleycookie.
    #132925 Report Abuse
    kathie c

Thanks for the advice. You kept talking about large breed puppy food. I was getting away from the puppy food because they are now 13 months old. How long do large breeds eat puppy food. I know they take longer to grow, but I just assumed since they are about 80-85% there, their growth has slowed and didn’t need the extra protein any more. Was I wrong? Thanks.

#132931 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #132934 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Large breed puppies (yours are more along the lines of giant breed so more along 2-2.5 years) donā€™t stop growing til about 1.5-2 years. Itā€™s also wise to not neuter or fix them until that age as well so their growth plates can close properly. The cut off of hormones can cause bone and joint issues early on.

#132963 Report Abuse
    Alice B

That is very interesting about giant dogs growth plates & hormones,

Kathie the DCM issue is a very tiny % of dogs affected, I think Wellness make great foods

#133084 Report Abuse
    Joan D

I switched my dogs to the brand Natures Logic. They use millet and are pea and lentil free. Also a very high rated dry dog food. I buy it on Chewy dot com.

#133087 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Chewy is now owned by Petco.
    I no longer use them if I can avoid it.

A Detailed, Evidence-based response to Petco’s Ban on “Artificial” Food Ingredients

Fromm cut ties with them.

#142362 Report Abuse
    Susan T

I believe Chewy is owned by Petsmart, not Petco.

#142365 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #142369 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I always order from chewy, why would it be bad even if PetSmart or Petco own it. What can they do to the food?? Please enlighten me here.

#142375 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It’s not bad, but some of us would prefer not to use their services any longer. The link explains the rationale for that.

#142447 Report Abuse
    Casey P
    #142466 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

From whole dog Journal. Best advice I’ve read and really common sense .
    Also, if you read through the 77-page table that includes every one of the 515 reports received by the FDA about a pet with DCM, you will see many times over that pet owners fed whatever they had been feeding to their dogs for months or even years. The same food, day in and day out. Month in and month out. Year in and year out! Weā€™ve said it before and we will say it again: Feeding the same food for months on end amounts to putting your dogā€™s life in a single companyā€™s hands. Is there any company on earth that you would trust to provide ALL the nutrition you consume for the rest of your life?

#142478 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Patricia now a days I agree you can’t trust companies completely. However, years ago my other GSD ate the same dry food his whole life and I never had a problem. But now I don’t know. I ran into sooo many problems with dry food you can’t image. From changing formulas to inconsistently in the kibble you name it. And every time I got inconsistent kibble my dog knew it was different he would smell it and look at me. And when he ate it he got diarrhea. I am so sick of these companies, every time I get a good kibble and he is doing well, I will get a bag either different in color or size and diarrhea again. So I do change foods for that reason.

#143486 Report Abuse
    Candice F

I am maintaining a list of dry dog foods without peas, legumes, potatoes, corn, wheat or byproducts. If you know any that should be added to the list, let me know. https://www.seviernewsmessenger.com/2019/07/14/best-dog-food-without-peas-legumes-potatoes/

#143503 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Candice if grain, peas or potatoes are not added to the kibble what would be the starch binder to hold the kibble together?

#165087 Report Abuse
    BellaBea

Candice F, that is a good list you have going for the dogs that can eat them. Do you know of any dog foods for the dogs who can’t have any form of chicken or grains? I’m starting to believe those dogs are just plain out of luck….

#165088 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

BellaBea if you require a food that is limited ingredients and grain free dry there are many. One example is Open Farm. Here is a link which lets you look at chart to pick one for your dogs needs. I believe their Salmon is grain free/chicken free. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0016/2509/6305/files/highlights-premium-nutrition-dietary-sensitivities-chart.pdf?152945
    I also suggest Stella Chewy’s grain free limited ingredients or Natures Logic. You also can’t go wrong with store brought raw or freeze dried for convenience. You pick the protein and contains no peas or extra fillers or grains. To name a few there’s Primal, Open Farm, Vital Essentials, Small Batch, Bixbi Rawwbles. All 5* reviews. Just make sure ANY new food is introduced VERY, VERY, VERY slowly.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.