Freshly killed food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Freshly killed food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Hi all,

Does freshly killed poultry (duck and geese) need to be frozen for a length of time before being given to eat? And also are there any parts you do not feed like the intestines for instance and the beak?

Thanks!

#11497 Report Abuse

Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

The only whole prey animals I feed are rabbits and quail. I feed the whole thing – hair or feathers on, ungutted. Everything I get has been pre-frozen, I’m assuming if the prey wasn’t wild it’s probably okay to feed fresh but I’d personally freeze it first just to be safe. If I was feeding a chicken or something with thick long nails or a big beak I’d probably remove the nails and beak just to be safe. When I feed chicken feet I cut off the nails.

#11498 Report Abuse

pugmomsandy
    Participant

They were shot locally I’m guessing wild duck and geese, not from a farm. I’m on a yahoo BARF list and sometimes folks give away some small prey! People will post when hunter friends have stuff to give away.

As for the chia seed, I was putting it in the omega 3 rotation with krill oil. I was thinking some additional omega 3 will be needed to offset some omega 6 from the emu oil!!

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.