šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Patricia A
    Participant
    #140956 Report Abuse
    anonymous

No, most of us have been advised by our veterinarians to avoid small companies that have not been around a long time.

Also “Plans start at $3/day and include free shipping” That comes to $90 a month, minimum.

No Thanks!

PS: Sounds like a scam.

#140957 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Misleading Advertising for Raw Pet Food (again)

excerpt below

“Finally, the terms ā€œhuman gradeā€ and ā€œrestaurant gradeā€ are frequently used for the ingredients despite the fact that these are not legally defined terms or part of the USDA meat grading system. Use of such meaningless terms cannot be anything but misleading and deceptive since they appear to indicate an official judgment on the quality of the foodā€™s ingredients when the manufacturers must know that no such judgment has been made by anyone but them”.

https://www.petfoodindustry.com/blogs/10-debunking-pet-food-myths-and-misconceptions/post/6917-are-human-grade-pet-foods-really-human-grade excerpt below

AAFCO guidelines for human grade claims
    In its Official Publication (2018), AAFCO clearly outlines the guidelines for pet food companies wanting to make human grade claims. The guidelines are broken down into four parts on pages 151 to 152. For purposes of this blog, I will abbreviate these parts:
    The use of the term ā€œhuman gradeā€ is only acceptable to the product as a whole. Every ingredient and finished food must be stored, handled, processed and transported in a manner that is consistent with current good manufacturing processes (cGMPs).
    The definition ā€œhuman gradeā€ is false and misleading if the finished good as a whole is not human edible. Human grade claims cannot be made on individual ingredients if the finished good is not human grade.
    For substantiation of human grade claims, a manufacturer must have documentation for the following:
    a. That each ingredient is fit for human consumption
    b. Every ingredient and finished food is stored, handled, processed and transported in a manner consistent and compliant with cGMPs for human edible foods in 21 CFR part 117.
    c. The manufacturing facility is licensed to produce human food by the appropriate authority (local, county or state public health authorities).
    4. A pet food with human grade claims must be labeled for its intended use (e.g., dog food).

#140958 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Iā€™ve seen this before. Looks decent but you could prob spend less and do a homemade raw diet yourself a lot more easily. But if u feel like forking out insane amounts of money for someone else to do it for u go for it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by haleycookie.
    #140960 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Human-grade ingredients means less processing, natural nutrients and higher safety standards.
    The food is prepared in a USDA-regulated kitchen. In fact, itā€™s the only dog food made there at the facility ā€” everything else is human food, which is virtually unheard of.
    The recipes are formulated by some of the top veterinary nutritionists in the United States. That puts me at ease because I know all the recipes are completely balanced.

I’m glad that people are getting out of the mindset that kibble/canned is the only way to nourish your dog. Farmer’s sounds great and would probably work cost wise for a small dog for it’s convenience.

#140972 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I just visited their website. It would cost $560 per month to feed my two large dogs. Their recipes are full of potatoes, both sweet and white, chickpeas and lentils. Who are their top veterinary nutritionists?

Their food does look delicious to me, but wondering if appropriate for dogs.

#140985 Report Abuse
    Christie B

OK, I just visited their site…$460/ mo. to feed my two dogs. I mean I wish I had money like that to spend. But I was also concerned about the ingredients. A lot of Legumes and Potatoes

Turkey, Parsnips, Chickpeas…
    Crude Protein 9% min
    Crude Fat 5% min
    Crude Fiber 1.5% max
    Moisture 72% max

Beef, Lentils, Sweet Potato…
    Crude Protein 11% min
    Crude Fat 8% min
    Crude Fiber 1.7% max
    Moisture 66% max

Pork, Sweet Potato, Potato…
    Crude Protein 11% min
    Crude Fat 7% min
    Crude Fiber 1% max
    Moisture 72% max

#140992 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature. excerpts below

Notably, the appeal to nature is often implicit in marketing, simply by using terms like “natural”, “all natural”, “natural goodness”, “organic”, “pesticide free”, or “no artificial ingredients”.
    Deconstruction
    Appeal to nature is a fallacious argument, because the mere “naturalness” of something is unrelated to its positive or negative qualities ā€“ natural things can be bad or harmful (such as infant death and the jellyfish above), and unnatural things can be good (such as clothes, especially when you are in Siberia). Another problem is the distinction of what is “natural” and what is not, which can be murky: crude oil occurs naturally, but it’s not something you’d like poured on seabirds or your garden. The word “natural” itself has no exact definition and can be used in multiple ways, thus allowing equivocation.

#141024 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I think the plus side to these foods is you can see what you’re getting in the pouch unlike kibble.. Don’t think anyone is going to spend this amount and get a pouch of mostly potatoes vs meat. I feel good about giving mine a food I trust to be nutritionally complete and then top with really some of the same food as these expensive fresh food delivery companies. Doesn’t take much to boil some chicken, lean hamburger or if they are lucky steak Plain oatmeal in morning or pieces of hard boiled egg. I have sweet potatoes for dinner they get a tiny bit. Low salt string beans /carrots for my one that’s always hungry and follows me into the kitchen. Summer we go fishing and if we’re lucky they’ll enjoy some fresh fluke that day. Even my 17 year old loves her watermelon also . I wish I fed this way to my first dog Pookie. . The thinking then was Never give “people food” to your dog.
    Anon I read that it is not feed grade food and not made a a dog food facility. I think it can be for human consumption before they add the nutrient packet.
    All of our ingredients are human-grade and sourced from reputable food suppliers, local farms, and other human food purveyors that meet USDA standards. We never use feed-grade ingredients, and we donā€™t process our ingredients to be shelf-stable, ensuring your dog is getting the highest quality, most natural nutrients available.

The Farmerā€™s Dog creates recipes that are simple in nature. Every recipe uses clean USDA proteins, mixed with simple produce, and balanced with vitamins and minerals. Thatā€™s it. Our board-certified veterinary nutritionists carefully formulate each recipe to be 100% complete and balanced according to AAFCO standards, and we use all human-grade ingredients and processes to do so.

#141027 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Well, that’s nice. Glad you found a food that you like.

I don’t agree with your choice for obvious reasons.

If you are so sure this is a wonderful food why are you looking for validation on forums?

No veterinary health care professionals here. No veterinarians here. No veterinary nutritionists here.

BTW: No veterinary healthcare professionals are mentioned via the dog food link you provided.

Good luck!

PS: Call them up and ask if it’s okay if you eat the product yourself, lol

You went through a traumatic experience with a dog or two (according to your prior posts)

Hence, you are vulnerable to scams . Homeopathic medicine is a business just as much as traditional medicine is.
    They have to make money to survive. They know how to play you…

But at least traditional medicine is backed by science.

#141085 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Anon,I don’t feed this food. If you read full post I just add at times the same ingredient as these fresh food mail order companies do. I think it’s wonderful that pet owners are getting out of the mindset that dogs should only eat kibble . Don’t think they were born and evolved with a bag of kibble around their neck saying feed me this. If your dog is doing well and healthy on their food then it’s a plus for the dog enjoying real food with the proper nutritional requirements added. It’s not that most of the traditional dog food companies has been always putting 100% safe to feed formulas in their bags of food . Between ingredient splitting for profit , recalls for lethal doses of vitamins and who knows what else goes into their feed quality ingredients I’d say this is an alternative for those who can afford. Our board-certified veterinary nutritionists carefully formulate each recipe to be 100% complete and balanced according to AAFCO standards, and we use all human-grade ingredients and processes to do so.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Patricia A.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.