🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

• This topic has 305 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by C4D.
Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    Dori

Sorry Akari. I told you to go to the wrong site. You need to go to baxterboo.com and look for the American River choke free harnesses (they have mesh ones for warmer weather and solid fabrics for cooler weather). They are designed and manufactured by Doggie Designs but Doggiedesigns.com only sells to wholesalers. I think you’ll be really pleased with the choke free harness for Ginger. They have made a world of difference for Hannah. All other harnesses put too much pressure on her lower neck and trachea and she was choking, coughing and reverse sneezing with other harnesses.

Forgot to mention that Baxter Boo is having a 20% off sale on the choke free harnesses.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #63497 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

One of these days, I’m going to make a trip to all the stores around here and see what style harness fits her best. Looking at the mesh ones, I’m unsure if they’ll properly over the two tumors on her neck. They are pretty big for how small she is, and I’m not sure a closed in mesh harness would actually fit right. Any thoughts on a standard harness, rather than the step-in she has now? I figured the step-in would be more comfortable which is why i got it.

#63499 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sorry Akari. I don’t use standard harnesses because of the size of my dogs. Most toy dogs have, or will have, trachea issues so the choke free harnesses are what is recommended. The harnesses that I recommended are step in harnesses also. Have you googled “choke free harnesses”? I sure there must be other styles of choke free harnesses.

#63500 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I did. I found one in particular (Doggle brand?) that I think PetCo carries that I want to check out. It’s like a mesh harness and a step-in harness had a baby, so it’s more open in the front of the chest. If Ginger were a normal shaped dog, and didn’t have inconveniently placed tumors, this would be so much easier…. LOL

#63706 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

We went shopping for a new harness today! Mom paid for it, even though she doesn’t know it yet ;P

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/493B9A27-DDAC-409D-A4C0-0D26A09AC749_zpsy29snp92.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/8963C608-8BF3-4EBB-A864-9FB5C33DDB67_zpswaer7rt7.jpg

It’s a little loose, but I may leave it that way. I was looking at how her old harness fit over the tumor on the front of her chest (not the one visible in the picture) and that one is defiantly getting larger because the center strap was tighter than is was when the harness first went on (it was still plenty loose, though). So, as long as she doesn’t slip out of this harness at the size it’s at, I’ll leave it how it is. Hopefully she doesn’t cough and hack with this new harness. She was doing better once I loosened the old hardness, but still did a little bit.

And yet an other twist to all this dog drama, Ginger pooped in the house the other night because mom refuses to feed her in her cage and leave her there until she barks to go outside to poop (she still doesn’t really ask to go out unless she’s in her cage), and mom started tweaking out that there were worms in her poop (actually, she’s convinced it was Bentley, but I know it wasn’t– he asks to go out several times before resorting to going in the house, and he hasn’t poopped in the house in ages, he’d rather pee all over the living room and make as large of a mess as possible out of spite. Not to mention it was too big to be Bentleys).

Anyways, after a bit of shopping around, I settled on as broad of a spectrum dewormer I could find for a decent price and dished out $13 for two Sentry HC Worm X Plus pills, which treats two kinds of tapeworms, two kinds of roundworms, and three kinds of hookworms. After some reaserch, any worms that are visible in the stool are usually tapeworms, and one kind of tapeworm is passed through fleas, which are a big problem in this area, due to low income pet owners, outdoor cats, and it being Florida in general.

What I can’t decide is that if she’s had them since before she got here, or if it’s a relatively recent development caused by her favorite game, pick-up-random-poop-on-walks-and-run-away-with-it-(and-try-to-swallow-it-before-the-human-gets-me!). Either way, I’m not sure if I should treat Bentley as well. He’s on HeartGuard, which does certain worms, but not tapeworms. I don’t want to mix the ingredients with out knowing what mixes well and what doesn’t, and I don’t want to give it to him if he doesn’t need it (though I don’t think worming when not needed causes any harm?).

So anyways, if anyone has any insights to offer before I give one of these to Ginger, please do so! I would greatly appreciate it. Now, please excuse me while I bash my face against a wall…. -_-

#63717 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Aww…She’s adorable! I’m sorry, I don’t have any advice about the dewormer. Hopefully someone with experience with those things can give you input. Your last sentence made me laugh out loud, you rock! 😀

Also, how is Ginger doing on the new food? Is it helping her?

#63730 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks girl. I’m going to wait until Tuesday to give her the dewormer so that I can be home to make sure everything goes ok and she can go out as she needs. That’ll give me time to see if I should give it to Bentley or not as well.

Isn’t her new harness the cutest?? There was one that looked like it would be more comfortable, but it was very thick and they didn’t have the color I wanted (black or light blue) in her size so I took it as sign that that wasn’t the right one lol This one seems fine though, and she’s been asleep in it all day with no problems.

Her new food is working great, actually, and she’s not even fully on it. We’re just finishing up the last bit her Wellness mixed with it, and so far no tummy troubles and I’m seeing an inprovment in her mobility already, and she’s been doing a lot more running than usual in the last couple days. So far so good, I think!

#63731 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

That’s so great that the food is helping her! This might make a dent in my hatred of veterinary diets, lol.

#63739 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I think this is the only vet diet I would consider ever. It’s got a good animal protein content, and the calories are pretty high too. The other ones are just not right at all. That said, I would in no way ever pay $20-something dollars for a 6lb bag for it. If I didn’t have the P4P membership that gave me more than 50% this food, I’d never have bought it or considered it. I paid $25 for two 6lb bags shipped. That’s not too bad, considering i only feed out a little more than a 1/2 cup a day.

#63740 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Woah, that’s a great discount! Also, speaking of Tapeworms, I just found this funny video from Dr. Andy Roark, one of my favorite online vets: http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/tapeworms-in-dogs-an-episode-of-general-veterinary-hospital

It’s pretty short, and I’m sure you already know all the stuff in it and are already doing the suggestions, but it’s pretty funny.

#63745 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Akari, I only put Patches harness on when we go for walks, as soon as we come home it comes off….Has Ginger been tested for heart worm?? with heart worm they have a cough, the test is about $40 in Australia so it would be cheaper in America I think…also just before they have Anesthesic they can have a blood test done to check something (I cant remember what the vet nurse said) to see if they will be OK while under, I never got the blood test done for Patch as he had just had an ultra scan done in June & was OK while under….

#63747 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Well if your dog tried to eat you every time you tried to put on or remove a harness, I’m sure you’d just leave the harness on too.

She has not been tested for heartworm, however even if she did have it, she’s 14 years old. The treatment would be too hard on her. It’s not that kind of cough anyways, I don’t think. Most of her coughing is reverse sneezing from getting herself worked up and stressed out over something. Since alleviating any pressure on her neck from the harness, her (self-imposed)-non-stress related coughing has greatly reduced. I think the growth in the two tumors on her neck were a good deal of the problem. She actually hasn’t coughed all day since putting this new one on.

There is a blood test yes. It costs almost as much as the dental does. Apparently, blood tests are made of gold.

#63749 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Lol Dog Obsesed, that might be better than the *actual* General Hospital XD

#63753 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I didn’t know she bites, she looks like a little angel…. its around $80 for the pre anesthesic blood test & it cost about $450 for dental cleaning, $40 extra for each tooth removed… My 13 year old cat Jeremy needs it done but I had blood test done last week cause he has been drinking & drinking water, it came back he has Kidney failure, so I’m not going to have his teeth cleaned now, vet said just make him comfortable & lower his protein & increase his carbs, but I’ve read the opposite to increase the protein, I told the vet this & he said high protein diet is to much work on the kidneys…I don’t know what to do……

#63754 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yeah well next time she needs ear drops or a nail trim, I’m calling you! She won’t look like such an angel then…. Lol

Blood test is going to be $130-something and dental a little more. Extractions are extra, though I wasn’t told how much. If a blood test was only $40 here, I’d have one done just for the giggles. Lord knows there’s more wrong with her than just meets the eye, and I’m sure theres something nasty going on with all the tumors on her body. But very few people want a dog this old with her list of problems, both mradical and behavioral, as long as hers, so I just deal with them as they come.

Cats can’t even hardly digest carbs, so what good would that even do? Raw diets are actually shown to reverse a lot of diseases in cats and dogs. Canned with low carbs (less than 5%) would be the next best thing. Vets all think high protein is too hard on the kidneys when in reality it’s usually high protein with not enough water that is so hard on them. Protein takes a lot of water to be properly broken down and processed. So do carbs, so why add carbs and take that water away from digesting what the body really needs (protein)?

#63763 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Akari
    She won’t get tape worms from eating poop. They have to go through an intermediary host first, so it’s the fleas. I wouldn’t bother to treat Bentley unless you see them in his poop, because he can’t get them from her, only from eating fleas. They are the least harmful of all the worms, even if he does have them, they won’t cause any harm by waiting until you know.

#63786 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks Patty! I mentioned her poop-eating game because I don’t know what kind of worms they are, as I never saw them. I know that some other kinds can be visible in the dogs poop, though not very often. I mean, it probably is tapeworms, but I can’t say for sure.

Either way, I have two single dose pills, so I’ll have an extra after I give one to Ginger. Depending on the worms, the crazy dog may need them again…. Lol

#63792 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Susan:
    I don’t want to hijack Akari’s thread, but I thought I would post this link for you. I have never had a cat with kidney failure. I came across this website a while ago when I was looking for some info for my hyperthyroid kitty. It has info regarding all stages of kidney disease in cats. Maybe this will give you a starting point to learn more about your kitty’s health condition; it cites studies throughout and links to them for further reading.
    http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
    Also, if you use any meds or topicals on your cat be sure to see if they are recommended for use on a sick cat. Some topical flea meds have a warning not to use them on sick animals or to use them more often than recommended. Sorry to hear about your kitty.

#63793 Report Abuse
    Dori

Akari I’m glad the new looser harness is helping Ginger with her cough. As soon as I saw your video of Ginger on the steps and the reverse sneezing episode it was the harness that stuck out to me. Looked to tight and hitting exactly where it shouldn’t with small dogs because of the trachea issues they have and then, of course, making things worse for poor Ginger because of the tumors. Once again, Akari…good job loosening the original harness and then buying her the new one. By the way, she looks adorable in her new harness. Nice colors. 🙂

If you get a chance, I’d love to see a reproduction of the original video of her going up the steps to the couch wearing her new harness. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #63806 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Akari
    The only other worm that might be seen in the stool is round worms, and those are usually only seen in puppies. They look like spaghetti noodles.

#63835 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks again, Patty! I still haven’t seen her poop in the daytime (still no poop today?? Uuuuugh this dog!), so I still don’t know what kind she has. I haven’t seen any fleas in some time, just one a few weeks after we got her, so I’m thinking this was probably an existing condition when she came to live here? Anyways, I got the Sentry because I don’t know what she has and it covers a good deal of nasties, so better safe than sorry lol She’ll get that in the morning and we’ll have some…. Fun?…. Lol

#63845 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

We just went for a nice long walk and Ginger had the greatest time (I made sure she was “empty” before we set out- no need to share her cooties lol). I set her and Bentleys food out on the counter to soak up water and thaw out, respectively, before we left. Once everyone cools down, and I make sure Bentleys food is thawed, I’ll feed them both and give Ginger her dewormer.

Anyways, she may have done well on the walk, but she was so excited to get inside to get her food and out of the heat that she leaped over the step up into the house, and landed on the tile in a way that hurt her leg some how and now she’s hobbling around the house. I checked her paw and knee and they both seem fine. Must have pulled a muscle a little bit or something. Guess this food can’t fix overexcitment LOL

#66813 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! I guess it’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread!

All in all, Ginger continues to do well on her new diet and with life in general. She’s been in much better spirits, and appears to be in less pain and is able to get around better.

I’ve also noticed, since starting her new diet, that she’s been learning things, particularly, she’s figuring out that the faster she gets to her cage (or some times Bentleys cage if hers isn’t around LOL in which case, I have to lure her out and into her bed), the faster she gets to eat. She’s also learning that when Bentley gets his harness on, we are going for a walk and that gets her all excited and she runs to door as fast as she can and scratches at it and rings the bell. These are just two examples. All that fish oil is good for the brain, I suppose lol

Today, however, she has been in a down right nasty mood. Not sure what her problem is. I was talking to mom on the phone on my way home from work, and she had both of them in her bed and she kept complaining that ginger was growling at her every time mom moved or tried to touch her or move her. Mom also said she was staring off into space, and had a hard time better her “back.” Then, a little bit ago, I went to get her out of moms bed to take her out and put her in her cage, and when I took the covers off her, she lunged at me tried to bite me. I had to scoop her up using my whole arm to support her body while holding her scruff as tightly as I could to keep her from turning around and biting me until she calmed down enough for me to release her onto the floor and put her leash on.

So, on one hand, Ginger is happy and doing great, and is associating walks and dinner time with certain routines, but at the same time, she’s showing some sever symptoms of dementia, and they’re quite sudden and dramatic. Walks are definitely keeping her in a better mood over all, and her food is helping with cognitive function to a certain degree, as well as helping her joints and pain, but I’m still fighting a losing battle with dementia. I really hope these bad mood swings do not lead to a safety issue with the other animals in the house, not to mention the effect they could lead to with her over all quality of life. We all know where both of those lead, and thays a one way ticket….

For now, they’re just short phases. I’m not going to get myself down about it just yet. She’s a happy little dog 95% of the time, so long as that keeps up, I’m happy for her enough to make up that 5%, then some 🙂 Not a day goes by that I see her running at the end of her leash and think “How could anyone give up on this dog? How could anyone not want her?”

#66814 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Akari, I am so happy for Ginger! Don’t let her mood swings get you down! I am sure she loves you and your mom to bits! I hope they stay at or below 5% of the time only! So happy everything else is overall going well for her! The Purina JM diet must really work for her – who knew!

You are super duper cool to adopt her and show her that she is not disposable and unwanted! And I am sure she knows that! 🙂

#66818 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m glad she is still mostly doing well! As long as she is still having more good days than bad, she is probably having a fairly decent quality of life. 😀 Thank you (again) so much for taking in this deserving senior dog!

#66881 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Overall, she is doing really well. I hate to see that she’s gone from showing little to no signs of dementia (the pottying in the house could be taken as her just being a spiteful, uncaring old biddy– really no way to tell on that front lol) to growling at mom and attacking me.

She’s fine today, and insisted (very loudly and whiningly) that she be on the sofa snuggling with me lol She’s been wanting to go on a walk, but there’s a carnival just a street away from the house and carnies are out and about. There’s already been a report of someone trying to get a younger girl into a van and they’ve only been set up for a day. Until the carnival is gone Sunday night, we’ll be home bound. Yay…. -_- lol

#68308 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! Got an update for you 🙂

I FINALY talked mom into getting a dental done!!!!!!!! Mom was complaining the other day that Ginger was still sleeping at 12:30 in the afternoon (and appeared to have just woken up when I got home around 1), and I told her, rather snootily, that if she would just get her dental done, she would feel better and not sleep so much. She also kept mom up all last night coughing and gagging on snot, and she thought it wise to wake me up at god knows what hour this morning to ask me why she was doing that. Lets just say, I’m not nice at all when you wake me up out of a dead sleep, and until I’m properly woke up and not bothered for a while, my “nice switch” is thoroughly broken LOL So she got a grumbly answer about dental-grumble-grumble-go-away-I’m-sleeping-grumble XD So when I got up a little while later, mom said she wanted me to make Ginger an appointment right away. I didn’t waste anytime, and went down to the vet, scheduled her blood work for tuesday morning and the dental for thursday. One of us is supposed to call wednesday to check on the blood work results, which will probably be mom, since I’ll be at work. Not sure what she’s doing that day… One of us will get to it lol

Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know! Fingers crossed everything goes well >.< Not particularly looking forward to it lol

#68316 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yay! That’s great! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for the blood work and surgery!

#68338 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m rather interested in seeing how her blood work comes back. I know theres some stuff going on with all those fatty tumors and not-so-fatty tumors she’s got going on. Hopefully theres not anything going on that will prevent her from getting a dental done.

#68347 Report Abuse
    Dori

Ginger getting her dental done!!! YES! YAY! Don’t forget to fast her from the night before. Fabulous news Akari. I’m sure Ginger will feel much better after her dental. Having a dental is not particularly big deal usually unless they have to have a lot of teeth removed which will alleviate any pain she’s been in and a good cleaning should help with bacteria going on in her mouth which can be going through her blood and into her kidneys. Bad news for you is that she may only be able to eat canned if she has too many teeth removed. The procedure itself is really not a big deal. You’ll drop her off in the a.m. and pick her up in the p.m. She may or may not be a bit groggy. A little bit of canned food in the evening. Her gums, of course, will be a little sore and she probably won’t want to chew on dry food. The vet or tech will give you all the instructions when you or your mom pick her up. Have you ever had a dental on any dog? Fingers crossed that her blood work comes back half way decent. So happy for Ginger.

#68353 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

She’ll need a lot, if not all, of her teeth pulled. We all ready add water to her (dry) food and let it sit for 15-20 minutes until it’s a soggy goop. Purina For Professionals doesn’t sell the canned version of her food, unfortunately (they don’t sell a lot of Purina foods, actually…. Lol).

I’ve never had a dog need a dental. Heck, I’m still working 2 out of three of my first dogs, and they’re 11 and 12, and in pretty darn good health if you ask me LOL Haley may chew on some questionable-type objects at times, but neither of them have ever needed dental attention :p

I hope Gingers blood work comes back good enough to get her teeth done. She really needs it. She’s been so miserable. You’d think I was trying to pull moms teeth with the resistance I’ve been getting on trying to convince her to just get it done!

#68356 Report Abuse
    Dori

Okay so Ginger’s already getting her food soggy so that there really isn’t chewing involved. Hopefully you’ll be able to keep her on the same food since I remember you said it was helping with her arthritis. I wonder why they don’t make a canned version. Well, anyway, you’ll check with the vet as to what to feed when you bring her home and for how long. Poor baby girl Ginger. Once she heals up after the dental surgery I’m sure she’ll feel much better. Being in pain all the time makes life miserable.

Well, your mom may have taken a long time to agree but I guess it’s better late than never.

#68357 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yeah, she’s been getting her food like this since we had to stop used canned. She likes it, so whatever LOL They *make* a canned version of PVD JM, Purina For Professionals doesn’t sell it. For example, the site also sells Pro Plan, but they don’t offer half of what you can buy in pet stores, and not in all the sizes.

Mom has this strict aversion to spending money on “animals”, unless it’s some $25 bed or some plush toy to add to the billions they already have. Even getting vaccines and yearly check ups aren’t a happy thing for her, but at least she does get those done (well, I get them done, and she pays for them LOL). She especially wasn’t happy when I told her it was a base fee of $300, PLUS however much they charged for each extraction, and how much each one costed depended on how exactly they had to get the tooth out. She wasn’t happy with not knowing exactly how much it was going to be. Oh well, it’s getting done now, and that’s what matters lol

#68377 Report Abuse
    Dori

Glad you were the person that rescued Ginger.

#68385 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m glad mom wanted to keep her. She may be a huge pain the butt, but she’s a cutie, and so sweet (when she isn’t trying to eat your face off for waking her up, anyways LOL). Mom was fussing the other night that Ginger was passed out on the couch, and not in her bed with her *rolls eyes* She may complain about how much this dog costs, but she would be very upset if anything happened to her :p

#68393 Report Abuse
    Dori

Akari I had to laugh when I first read it very quickly then had to read it again. At first it sounded like you were saying your mom “may be a huge pain in the butt, but she’s a cutie, and so sweet”. Of course, the eat your face off was a dead give away you weren’t speaking about your mom but about Ginger. I’m glad to hear that your mom has fallen in love with Ginger as much as you have. By the way, I used to think my mom was a pain in the butt once in a while when I was young and got on me about something or other. 🙂

#68394 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Oh she is! She does it on purpose though lol We have this unspoken, never ending game going on how quickly we can irritate the crap out of each other in to hurting the other LOL We getting into a lot of poking matches, which turn into slapping matches, which then turn into hitting matches…. We’re a little vicious…. LOL

And just ask her who Ginger belongs to! She’ll be laying in bed, and I’ll go in there and shes got Ginger on one side and Bentley on the other! I ask her “whatcha got there?” And she’ll say “this is my Bentley *points*, and this is my Ginger! *points* :D”

#68577 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! Gingers blood work came back with high kidney and liver levels. I talked to the vet and decided to cancel her appointment tomorrow and pick up a copy of her blood work and do some research and decide whether or not i feel it’s safe for her to be put under for the dental. I’ll keep you guys updated!

#68578 Report Abuse
    Dori

What were the vet’s thoughts on going forward with the dental? How high were the levels?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Dori.
    #68582 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

He said they could be elevated just because her mouth, or it could be cancer, and a list of other things. He said he would do it, as long as I understood the risk involved. He said we could also do X-rays or an ultra sound, but the level of stress that would cause her, I just don’t think that’s a good idea. She was so stressed just getting blood work done. I’ll talk to him more when I pick up the copy of her blood work, and see what else he has to say, and I’ll do some research and talk to him more after that. Over all, I do want to do what’s best for her. If putting her under is going to be too high risk, than so be it, I suppose.

#68593 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Ok, heres a list of the values that tested high:

AST (SGOT): 105 U/L, Ref. Range 15-66 U/L
    ALT (SGPT): 538 U/L, Ref. Range 12-118 U/L
    Alk Phosphatase: 845 U/L, Ref. Range 5-131
    GGTP: 13 U/L, Ref. Range 1-12 U/L
    BUN/Creatinine Ratio: 29, Ref. Range 4-27
    Platelet Count: 463 10^3/uL, Ref. Range 170-400 10^3/uL

Any thoughts on what I should do…?

#68595 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

So I just explained to my mom what the vet had said, and explained the blood test results to her. Recently, our friends dog was at deaths door. His kidneys were failing, and was to the point where they had scheduled his euthanasia appointment. As a last-ditch effort, they started giving him some sort of medication that is supposed to rebuild the kidneys, and he is now back to full health and going strong. She said it is some sort of over the counter vitamin, and that she wants Ginger on it. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

#68596 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

What does the vet that has examined the dog recommend? That is who I would listen to.
    Did he say he wouldn’t do the dental surgery? Did he advise you of the risks? Do you need another opinion? They have specialists for dental procedures and geriatric care.

There is no over the counter med that will reverse kidney disease

The anesthesia drugs they use nowadays are not as harsh as back when….but then again, there are no guarantees with anything in life.

BTW: You might make things worse by adding supplements, run it by the vet first.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Anonymous.
    #68597 Report Abuse

Hey Akari,

From those results, it looks like it’s more her liver than kidneys that is having problems. Her liver enzyme values are similar to Max’s. I would give her milk thistle and Sam-e for her liver. There is also a good formula I found recently for liver detox. I bought it on Amazon. It’s called liver guard by source naturals. If you want to try that, let me know and I will get you the dosage for Ginger.

#68601 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

LM, if you click back to page 12, all I have been told is typed out there. The vet is basically leaving it up to me to decide at this point. He knows we don’t have much money, so he doesn’t really push anything on us. Anything that we decide will be discussed with the vet before hand, of course.

RDM, he did recommend Sam-e, now that I think about it, and someone on Facebook just recommended Turmeric (which is apparently what mom was thinking about when telling me about our friends dog). That sounds great, thanks. I’d like to get a list together of all possible treatment options so I can go over them with the vet and see what he thinks. He’s pretty traditional, but he does surprise me at times lol

#68603 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I have had old dogs that needed surgery, dental and otherwise. I usually make a quick decision, based on the amount of discomfort they are in.
    Regarding the dementia and periods of agitation, ask your vet if a low dose of melatonin would help? But keep in mind the main symptoms of liver and kidney disease is nausea….so the more stuff you give, the harder the liver and kidneys have to work to detoxify. Best of luck

#68604 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Her mouth is terrible. Every singe one of her teeth are this nasty translucent grey and she’s lost several teeth just since september when I brought her home. It needs to be done, but I’m still unsure as to if the risks outweigh the benefits. And given that some of her levels are so, exaggeratedly high, I’m even more unsure if its the right thing to do…

#68606 Report Abuse

Akari,

What did your vet say about the risks? Does he think she could handle the anaesthesia?

I think I would try to detox her first to get her liver levels down so that the anaesthesia drugs can detox better after her dental.

#68607 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

The dental infection could be causing her abnormal lab values. Is she on antibiotics?
    I would think they would want to decrease the inflammation first……she will probably feel so much better after the procedure, assuming it goes well.
    Usually the vets are more concerned with cardiac problems, regarding tolerating anesthesia.
    It’s your decision, talk to the vet some more. Ask him what he would do if it was his dog?

#68610 Report Abuse

That is a valid point that LM has. Those values could be from the prolonged infection.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 306 total)
  • The topic ‘Doggy Dementia’ is closed to new replies.