šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Joy B

I am surprised to see Merrick dog food still rate highly. I read that Purina had bought it. Purina does not make good dog food. Has Merrick or Purina changed?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Mike Sagman. Reason: Fix Duplicate Topic Title
    #90793 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Joy-

Here are a couple articles that will explain how Dr. Mike rates dog food

/frequently-asked-questions/rate-dog-food/

/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-reviews-problems/

To sum it up, the ratings on the public reviews have nothing to do with the company. That is only factored in with the Editor’s Choice list. Editor’s Choice is a paid membership and not public.

#137188 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I wanted some feed about Purina, I know it is a good food. I am just surprised that everyone I know that uses Purina dog chow or other Purina dry food, their dogs are doing great! I mean nice shinny coats great weight and muscle tone. Compared to some of the “high end” foods, dogs look great on Purina. And not to mention some of the people I ask that feed it say good things about it and their dogs live long. I was feeding it for a while and I will go back to it. I usually feed a couple different brands in rotation. I wanted to hear if anyone else feeds it and has great results. From what I hear Purina knows about dog nutrition hands down. Ingredients might not be appealing to some, but from what I hear it works.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by joanne l.
    #137199 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Since purina knows so much about nutrition I canā€™t help but wonder about the plethora of grain free foods theyā€™re coming out with (and already sell) that are pea laden. Seems like theyā€™d take those off the shelf if thatā€™s really whatā€™s causing heart problems

#137200 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@Haleycookie

For once we agree! There are many good foods out there that meet the criteria of whatever current group is recommending.

I like Fromm, a friend of mine’s dog is doing very well on Nutrisource. I’m sure some of Purina’s formulas are okay, but they are not the only good food out there.

And of course, stay with grain inclusive for now if possible till we figure out what is going on.

PS: My dogs thrived on Zignature grain free as a base for years, we only switched due to the grain free scare.

#137242 Report Abuse
    Sanne

Hi Joanne, I do not feed Purina as much as I feed Roycal Canin, but I do have excellent results with it! I dabbled in the “high end” grain free stuff for a while and cannot say I was ever pleased with it. Dry skin, huge loose stools, gas. I have nothing to complain about with RC or Purina (when I feed Purina it is typically Pro Plan). One of my dogs is dark and used to be coated in flakes back when she was on Orijen. Have not had that problem return since switching over a year ago.

Both RC and PP are the most popular foods in my country, with just regular people and breeders and working dogs. They have a LONG history of good health and longevity. The way I see it, breeders and people who need their dogs for work would not continue to use these foods if they did not have generations of long living healthy dogs on these food. They would not continue to use them for years if their dogs were regularly dropping dead early from cancer and other diseases. The results of millions is what made me open my eyes, majority of people here feed these foods and their dogs are incredibly healthy.

#137287 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thanks everyone for the feed back, I use Holistic Select grain in made by wellpet, they been around a long time too, but I think I will keep Purina in my rotation. I like using the Pro plan, but I never tried their Savor I use Focus. Has anyone used the Savor by pro plan?

#137317 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    Just wanted to let you know that I am now a fan of Purina ProPlan. I used to feed my two large dogs a rotation of mostly grain free along with some with grain. I never really understood why grain free could be better with all the peas and potatoes. Especially when the recommendation is to feed your dogs boiled chicken breast with over cooked rice when they have bad bellies. Why is it now all the sudden best to stay away from rice? I followed the trend and marketing anyway. You can still give in to peer pressure when youā€™re a grown adult and know better!

When the FDA warning came out and our very own Aimee showed concern over it, I switched. My dogs are part Golden and it made me nervous. Anyway after feeding Purina for 8 months I had an echocardiogram done for peace of mind. Thankfully, they are both fine.

They do best on the Purina ProPlan Focus Lg Breed Weight Management formula. I tried the Purina One Weight Mgt with turkey and they had a ton of gas. Too bad as Purina One is a little cheaper. Lol,

My dogs stools are the smallest and firmest they have ever been. Which is saying a lot! Their coats and skin are good too. Although they have never had issue with that. I may give Iams and/or Eukanuba a try sometime in the future as well. Good luck!

#137324 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thanks, I have another good question. I been looking for a beef dey dog food that doesn’t have chicken or lamb. Bascially just beef as a protein. I am having a hard time finding something. My dog loves beef he itches less on it. Lamb is good which he get now, and I want to give pro plan beef and rice a try but it is the savor which has lose soft pieces in it and my dog hates them. So if anyone knows a dry food that is just beef let me know. Thanks.

#137341 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Iā€™ve been having a hard time finding a beef recipe to. I have fed one of the Beneful recipes, but I think it might have chicken or poultry By-Product in it.

Not sure why the other brands do not make many or any beef formulas?

#137349 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Joanne-
    You could always purchase a ProPlan Beef canned food to feed as a topper. I buy the ProPlan Large Breed Beef and Rice canned and put a couple of TBS mixed in their food. They love it. Bad thing is, you may get the stink eye if itā€™s not on the food when they get used to it.

#137476 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I do use pro plan large bread beef and rice too, he loves it I give him a can a day. I was feeding Fromm, they have a beef dry food one but it’s grain free. Well I checked Petco and whole heartily, which is their brand , they have a beef and rice. But the only thing is they use a lot of peas. This is ridiculous, now I have noticed that these companies that are trying to make grain in foods , they are not taking out the peas!!! How cleaver as if we were dumb. I think they are keeping peas in their foods to keep the protein higher at a cheaper cost. I would love to tell these companies off.
    So if anyone notices grain in foods, look for peas in it. I hope they get rid of these PEAS, also I hope they read our posts.

#137715 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I just fund Victor beef and rice. I was looking for a beef and rice formula and I had a hard time finding it like I mentioned before. But I found this one, but I never used Victor so any input about this food would be helpful.

#137716 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Really?
    You don’t know by now that these folks are going to tell you that Victor does not meet the WSAVA guidelines.

Just a suggestion, make a list of all the grain-inclusive dog foods that appeal to you.

Call your veterinary clinic and leave a message for your veterinarian to call you back when he has a minute.
    Ask his professional opinion as to which would be the best product for your dogs.

Odds are that he will advise you to buy in small bags (one by one, none of this rotating crap) and through trial and error see what one the dogs do best on.

After all, he is the veterinary healthcare professional that has examined your dogs and knows them best šŸ™‚

PS: I have never used Victor, never heard of it till I came on this forum, maybe it is only available in certain parts of the country.

#137717 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Anon where are you from, you mind me asking? Thank you for the advice. I don’t know much about this WSAVA thing. So what does it mean if is doesn’t meet there standards? The food is bad??

#137719 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I am in New England. I have seen Victor advertised on Chewy dot com. That’s about it. I don’t go to Petco or PetSmart, they may carry it.

WSAVA is not clear to me either. I would go over the guidelines with your vet and see what he advises.
    https://wsava.org/nutrition-toolkit

No specific foods are bashed. No specific foods are recommended. Therefore I find the guidelines to be vague.

The problem (imo) is that people are interpreting the guidelines differently to confirm their beliefs as to what specific brands are best.

My vet told me to avoid small companies, new companies, exotic ingredients and boutique companies as they are less likely to have a veterinary nutritionist on board or do feeding trials. Also avoid exotic ingredients and grain-free.

Go with established brands that have been around a long time.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by anonymous.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by anonymous.
    #137727 Report Abuse
    Sanne

These are the guidelines people are talking about https://www.wsava.org/WSAVA/media/Arpita-and-Emma-editorial/Selecting-the-Best-Food-for-your-Pet.pdf

What exactly are you guys finding confusing about it? You donā€™t specify what is unclear. They are questions that any company in theory should be able to answer. WSAVA recommends you choose a food from a brand that can adequately answer those questions

#137728 Report Abuse
    anonymous

But, I call a dog food company and my questions are answered to my satisfaction and do meet all of the guidelines .

Someone else calls and claims they get a different response and they are not satisfied with what they were told.

Are we hearing different things? Are we interpreting what we hear differently? Obviously we are.

Like I said, I never heard of WSAVA till this grain-free scare began.

I trust my vet, that’s who I listen to, bottom line.

Again, WSAVA does not recommend any specific brands

WSAVA does not recommend any specific brands to avoid.

I’m glad you find the guidelines helpful. Best of luck.

#138563 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Anyone use Victor dog food?? I know you guys like Purina, hills, and Royal Canine. But I wanted a beef and rice food. This one looks good, but I never used it. I don’t know if staying with just a food that is WSAVA approved is going to solve anything. Then you are limited what to use. I am just staying away from grain free and dog food makers that were not around a long time right now.

#138570 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I honestly wish you’d just say youā€™re going to feed what you want. Youā€™ve made it clear you arenā€™t very interested in learning about DCM. Iā€™m only answering in case others are reading, by the way, a 20 second search on Chewy showed me beef foods that follow WSAVA guidelines.

#138575 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Joanne-

Purina has beef and rice formulas. I have fed a Beneful recipe and I believe there are ProPlan and Purina One beef foods as well.

If you are interested in Victor, write down a list of questions and contact the company who makes it. If you are happy with their responses, then feed it! The WSAVA is trying to stress that it is important to check out the company making your petā€™s food. You cannot tell enough by ingredient panels. Itā€™s impossible to know the quality of the ingredients and how much of each are actually in the food. I have no idea how ingredients work together to keep a dog healthy. Iā€™m trusting the companies who employ experts and do feed trials.

Btw. WSAVA does not approve foods. They have a list of recommendations for pet food manufacturers to follow.

I really hope that there are other foods that are ā€œsafeā€ to feed other than the Purina, Hills, RC, Iams and Eukanuba. But, it is up to the other brands to prove it to me. Good luck!

#138617 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Where did you find this on chewy?

#138622 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant
    #138626 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Chewy is now owned by Petco or PetSmart. I avoid them all whenever possible.
    Again, please consult your veterinarian.

#138627 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

She can buy food from whoever she wants. But, Chewy has a great variety and also is a great source for searching for foods.

#138628 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“She can buy food from whoever she wants”.

So can I. And I can recommend whoever I like! šŸ™‚

Chewy is no longer on my go to list.

#138650 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thank you, I might have to change his diet because he is refusing the holistic select and he been on that since February. But he won’t eat it. I made him chicken and rice and I am going to try the Pro Plan beef and rice. I seen the beef variety Purina has. I was going to go with Victor. Some breeders feed it I found out today. But still I think I will try pro plan. I hope he can tolerate it. Fingers crossed.

#138657 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Good luck, Joanne. I hope it works out.

#138975 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I did not try Purina yet, I did some research and found a lot of bad reviews. A lot of people said bugs, worms and maggots found in the food. Some others were saying their dogs got very sick, throwing up and diarrhea. If it was just a couple I would chalk it up to maybe some dogs can’t tolerant it, but there are too many saying the same thing. Of course I seen good reviews as well, but all the bad ones have me nervous to try it. Did anyone hear of this?? This doesn’t make me feel comfortable.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.