🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chuck
    Participant

So I have been feeding my Brittney (5) Darwins since she was a puppy and my Foxhound (3) since we got him which was about a year ago. I live in Tampa, FL and the cost of shipping is just crazy, so between the cost, the Darwin customer service and recalls and my wife shying away from raw since we have a newborn, I really need a good solution.

Should I switch to a kibble like Orijen? A mix like Merrick Back Country Infused Raw, Kibble plus dehydrated raw supplements or is there another raw option that would be more cost-effective, and she isn’t going to let me grind anything up so bulk probably wouldn’t work.\

I just want to make sure they keep being healthy and I hate the idea of just putting them back on kibble. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#113052 Report Abuse
    anonymous

My dogs do well on Zignature as a base with a little chopped boiled chicken meat and water or chicken broth mixed in.
    /forums/topic/help-food-change-disaster/#post-111832

See chewy dot com for more information and reviews on Zignature.

PS: Listen to your wife 🙂

There is no reason to feed raw when you consider the risks. http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/choosing-the-right-diet-for-your-pet/ (excerpt below, click on link for full article)
    Raw diets are another popular option on the market today. Studies have shown that 20-35% of raw poultry and 80% of raw food dog diets tested contained Salmonella. This poses a health risk for your pet, but also for humans. This is especially true for children or immunocompromised adults, whether exposed to the raw food directly, or the feces of the pet eating the raw food. Additionally, there is increased risk of other bacterial infections and parasitic diseases when feeding raw diets. And the bottom line is there is no reason to believe raw food is healthier than cooked food.
    The numerous dietary choices for your pet can be daunting but if you pick an AAFCO approved food made by a manufacturer with a long track record, odds are good that you will find a suitable food for your pet. Most of the large pet food companies employ full time veterinary nutritionists and have very high quality control standards. That is not to say that a small company cannot produce nutritious and high quality food, but you should check out their website if it’s a company that is not familiar to you. Take the time to research, and ask your veterinarian if you have specific questions or concerns.
    Please understand that this article is meant to provide basic dietary guidelines for healthy pets. If your pet has specific health issues, then your veterinarian may make specific food recommendations, which may include special prescription diets.

#113055 Report Abuse
    anonymous

BTW
    With that recipe you end up with a ton of plain (no ingredients added) chicken broth.
    Your wife can use it as a base for making soup instead of loading up the freezer with it.
    Hope this helps

#113056 Report Abuse

I would do a kibble plus freeze dried raw or a simple homemade mix. My dogs do fantastic on Orijen/Acana, Fromm, Petcurean, and Farmina. I like Merrick but have one dog that gets very gassy on all formulas except for the rabbit and the venison. For the mixers, I’ll use Primal mostly. I try to keep to the poultry formulas or the rabbit. The ones that are beef inclusive tend to be very hard in comparison so it’s hard to mix in or rehydrate easily. There are some good canned foods as well. Scrambled eggs, chicken thigh or breast, and other home prepared meats are a good option as well. Sometimes you just need to see what your dog likes.

#114630 Report Abuse
    Sloane K

Chuck-

Curious how your pets are doing now from the diet switch? Been thinking of switching my pet’s diets and trying to gather as much info here as possible. Let us know if your diet switch results were positive or not.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.