🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    jakes mom

C4C, that’s a great story, and one lucky kitty!
    Got a good deal on a bag of Instinct rabbit variety. On sale and $4.50 in coupons. Only 2 kitties will eat it so far, but I’ve only offered it twice. Just another thing to throw into the mix now and then. Maybe it’s just as well everybody doesn’t eat it, it’s expensive! lol

#50181 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Awww, what a sweet story! Lucky little kitty :3

Jakes mom, how did you manage that?? Good job! Lol

#50200 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Thanks Akari, lol! Had a $3 coupon from a link that popped up on facebook and the bag had a coupon for $1.50. Thought $3 was pretty good but the $1.50 was a nice surprise. Always willing to try something new, God knows with Jake around nothing will go to waste! He ate some kiwi last nite.

#50285 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

So I decided to take a leap of faith and order a case of a food I’ve never tried with my cats before, but it looks good, and I’ve never seen it locally. Its Go! Sensitivity and Shine Duck http://www.chewy.com/cat/go-sensitivity-shine-duck-pate/dp/48538 , does anyone have any experience with this company? I mean, I’ve already ordered it, so I probably should have asked first, but I seem to remember only seeing positive things with this brand.

I also broke down and ordered a case of Chicken Soup for the Soul Kitten, because my cats LOVE it, it really is a good food, and Chewy has it for $17.99 for a case of 24 5.5oz cans which is just an unbeatable price. I don’t actually have a kitten, but its no different then buying an All Life Stage canned food (which the GO! is). I usually try to buy grain free and stick to simpler foods because one of my cats has a really sensitive belly, but if he starts to get wicked diarrhea again, I know the shelters are always really in need of kitten food at this time of year.

I hope everyone is well. How is Bobby doing? Still peeing on your vegetables? I bet he isn’t digging this heat.

#50286 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Oh! I also tried out a can of Authority Chicken Pate with my cats and they ate it begrudgingly but they really didn’t like it very much. It wasn’t puked up though, so that was a plus but I don’t think I will be feeding it to them again.

#50290 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey everybody! I have been really busy this past week so I have only been popping in here and there.

I have tried some new foods, canned and dry, and will stop back to give some reviews.

C4c: Love the story it brought tears to my eyes too. I get emotional reading or hearing about rescues. 😉

Sharon: I have never tried Go! so I will be interested in what the food is like.

Also, funny you just posted and reminded me of your sensitive kitty. I was just checking out a website I used to visit quite a bit last year. I don’t know if you ever visited it, but they have a good cat food list that I have used in the past. The list is not that long and I know you have fed some of them. Anyway, you might find the description of each food helpful if you are interested in trying something new for your sensitive kitty. Here’s a link to the food list:
    http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2010/12/the-7-best-natural-commercial-cat-foods-so-far/comment-page-2/

We have had a few weeks of fairly cool weather and only a few days mixed in with high humidity so Bobby was out and about a little more than usual. However, the heat and humidity is coming back which will turn him into a house dog again. lol

Bobby hasn’t marked anymore territory in the garden, but the sweet potatoes are doing really well. Maybe Bobby has the magic touch?

He was ornery the other night though; he managed to eat two dinners. He apparently was hanging around the kitchen while I was outside doing yard work looking very hungry and pitiful. I went inside to get a drink of water and was told “don’t worry about your poor dog, since you were so busy and forgot about him, I fed him.” lol

#50314 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Forgot to add, I had fed him right before I went outside about a half hour earlier. I have to hand it to him, he is a really good actor. lol

#50327 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Bdog! Long time no hear! Hee Hee, my pets are good actors too. Especially, the cats, going in and out between the legs and looking up pitifully and sweetly meowing. I periodically get texts asking, “Are the cats attempting to trick me?” And it’s usually, “yes they are”, I’ve already fed them.

Sharon- I’ve not fed the cats the Go! brand, but it looks good! I did receive numerous samples of Go! and Now! kibble a few months back when our feed store was having a vendor show. The food both looked and smelled good and fresh. Both the cats and dogs liked it very much. But, have not bought any of it due to budget. Let us know how it goes. I also have been very happy with the Chicken Soup canned food. I ordered a case from Amazon as it seems like it is getting harder to find. Plus, I think it was cheaper anyway.

I bought my kitties a drinking fountain a few days ago as my big chubby white male cat has crystals showing up in his urine. I hope they will actually use it! 😉

#50339 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Bobby’s Mom- That is so funny about Bobby successfully hamming it up. My sensitive tummy cat Aaron, is really really good at the pathetic Oliver Twist routine. He is kind of a nervous nelly, and is shy (he doesn’t come out for the most part if there are any visitors) and that only adds to the effect. If I happen to be home all day he will run to his food dish area meowing every time I stand up or walk from one place to another. He really loves to eat. Rudi my parents standard puppy is such a chow hound that we had to get slow feed bowls for him to slow him down a bit, and they work really well. Fortunately he doesn’t really beg. Thank you so much for the link to that list, I’ve never seen this page before, so I am really excited to go through it!

Its a good thing rotational diets are encouraged because I am always changing up my cats diets and trying out new foods with them. C4C I hear ya on the budget issue, expense is one of the reasons I hadn’t tried it yet. I did the math though, and I have been buying Nature’s Variety, and just to get 24 cans of the Chicken is about $46 but then I really like to feed a protein source that doesn’t have chicken in it, and isn’t fish, turkey is OK but they get a lot of turkey too. Duck foods are usually more expensive but Nature’s Variety is outrageous at almost $30 for a case of 12 5.5oz cans, so when I saw this, and saw that it doesn’t have Carraggeean, chicken, or fish in for under $40 for 24 5.5oz cans I decided to go for it. I am currently feeding 2 cats and 0 dogs so its easier to try out pricier foods then if I was feeding more animals. If I had even 1 more cat there is no way I could do it. I will let you guys know how it goes, and I am going to do a little research on Petcurean (would have been smart to do before ordering, I know)

#50340 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Check it out guys! Free cat food!

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/E754EBD8-1B62-496B-9FE4-7E34EF35263F_zpsvq4jaekx.jpg

Yay for Facebook contests! 😀

#50343 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Akari- Show Off!!!! LOL! (just jealous)

#50346 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

You gotta watch out for contests and give aways! 😉

#50364 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Wow! Good for you Akari! I try to enter every give-away type thing I find for pet food. Lol. Which reminds me I have to enter the Iams one for today.

#50374 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I do too lol I didn’t even try for the extra points thing on this give away (by sharing the page on Facebook and email the link to other people). I just submitted an entry and figured if it happened it happened. And it did lol This isn’t balanced, but whatever. I can give a tub along with any set of smaller cans (Sheba and Ideal Balance).

I’ve already entered my Iams for the day lol if I happen to win, I’ll be donating every bag to the humane society 🙂

#50403 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Congrats Akari!!! I also enter every contest I come across, just not as lucky as you! lol :0

#50410 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

C4C Thanks for posting that story! True animal lovers! What a happy ending!

#50421 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I decided to use the Applaws as a full meal, rather than throwing a tub in here and there. So I went out and bought 24 cans of Friskies Special Diet and Senior Diet (my previously scoped out flavors however many pages back). I tried to get away with not having to buy more cat food, but there was too much Applaws for me to feel comfortable with not adding more food that was balanced. So my 26 days of food turned into 40 days of food after the Friskies and Applaws was added lol You guys should have seen all that cat food sprawled across the floor as I tried to fit everything evenly into my rotation.

He’s on a 10 day rotation (not including different flavors):

Ideal Balance or Sheba
    Applaws
    Wellness
    Authority Flaked Turkey
    Friskies
    Wellness
    Applaws
    Friskies
    Authority Flaked Turkey
    Friskies

Because of stacking difficulties with the Applaws tubs and Sheba and Ideal Balance 3 oz cans, I couldn’t really spread the Friskies out as much as I would have liked, but as soon as Wellness goes on sale again (which shouldn’t be long, I would think), I’ll be buying more, so it’ll do for now. The cats fed, and that’s all that matters lol

#50531 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

So, my cat food order was delivered at 9:30 this morning, I happened to be home, and I have to say I was pretty amazed, because I put in the order at about 10pm on Tuesday. The fastest they have ever gotten it to me. Anyway, I gave my cats the Go! Duck Pate for lunch and they both seemed to really enjoy it, so that is good news, we will have to see if that continues through the whole case. I have found that there are two types of textures to pate style canned foods that don’t have carrageean in them. One is somewhat loose and very moist like Natures Variety, and the other is very firm like Nature’s Logic and doesn’t have the sort of creamy type consistency to it that foods with the carrageean, like Wellness have. Almost looks a little rubbery in comparison. The Go! Pate is more of the latter, a firm pate, but seems just a touch softer then the Nature’s Logic Chicken. My cats like Nature’s Variety much better then Nature’s Logic, but they both seemed to really really like this Go!. So what I read about Petcurean is that they don’t manufacture their own food, but most outsource canning anyway, and I have read that they use a high quality co-packer with stringent quality control standards, but I don’t know who the co-packer is.

#50536 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Where did you order from? PetFlow always delivers within 3 or so days for me.

(Random thought: I don’t think I’d call Wellness “creamy” LOL It’s pretty solid IMO :p )

Oh, and I gave the Applaws a try today. He licked the bowl clean! LOL Today was chicken, tuna roe, and rice. There’s also chicken and rice, and duck, chicken and rice. They really like to use chicken and rice lol And they’re all in chicken broth.

I’ve heard good things about the dog versions of Go! and their lines. I’ve never heard anything bad about them, actually. So I think you’ve made a good choice 🙂 Someday I’ll have the money to experiment beyond coupons *rolls eyes*

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Akari_32.
    #50581 Report Abuse

Nothing wrong with coupons and stretching the budget.

#50582 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I know, it’s just kind of restricting, doesn’t let me branch out as much as I’d like lol

#50584 Report Abuse

I feed several feral/stray cats. Quite honestly I feed them whatever is reasonable that I find on sale. I figure they are not mine and damn lucky to get fed (and yes we trapped them and did full medical and apply frontline monthly lol) Usually they get a combo of various dry foods..the last two months it was cat chow, proplan and some top quality grain free that was short dated and reduced to clear. I still have two large bins full of the grain free and being added to that is two large bags of Iams I found on sale today. I figure 50 percent good 50 percent lower quality is better than nothing. For cans they get what ever is on sale.

#50598 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey, if I was feeding strays, I would be feeding them whatever came in a large bag for a good price, so you’re doing better than I would be LOL Granted, I’d probably kid nap them as they began to trust me and would either become crazy cat lady or adopt them out. I feel the same way, though. They’re getting food, and that’s what matters. Do the best that can be done for the situation and be glad something’s getting done, that’s how I see it :p

#50655 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Hi Akari! I ordered through Chewy.com I usually do, I have been happy with them, and even though I usually check around at other sites, the prices I find at Chewy are usually the best. When I factor in that I don’t pay for sales tax or for gas its even better.

You’re right, creamy isn’t a very good descriptor, I wish I could find a better word to describe what I mean, but I just can’t right now. lol. Maybe smooth is a better adjective. IDK.

I’ve never heard of Applaws before, I don’t even know where to buy it. I will have to look into it.

#50658 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve not ordered from Chewy yet. They do have good prices, though. I think I have to pay taxes for Chewy though. I don’t remember lol

To me Wellness is almost like Jello, just not quite as hard lol

Applaws just came to the US. It’s a pretty expensive brand, from what I’ve seen. And the tubs I got from the contest aren’t a complete and balanced diet, they’re just for supplemental feeding. But they do make normal dog and cat food. Seems like a good brand, either way. They do a lot of charity events, and raise food donations for different non-profits every month.

#50685 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Yes! It is more gel-like. Cat do like that consistency with the carrageean, or at least mine do. I imagine that is why most of the foods add it. I definitely feed Wellness and other foods that have it, but if I have the choice I prefer to choose a food that doesn’t. The cats still like the Go! today, so that is a good sign. They have also been eating the Nature’s Logic as of late, which is good because I was sitting on about 10 cans of it for awhile, but now I only have 1 left.

Chewy also has amazing customer service. They have been really great to work with on absolutely any issue I have had and definitely have far exceeded my expectations in resolution. I do think I remember seeing that sales tax does apply in FL and another state or two. That’s a bummer. The second case I ordered this month was Chicken Soup for The Kitten Lovers Soul, just because I wanted something cheaper to balance out my order overall, and I got a case of 24 5.5oz cans for $17.99, which works out to be 75 cents a can which really is very affordable for a high quality food. Its true though, you can’t get the same kind of deals that you can get by stacking coupons and sales in store, but I find that I just can’t get them very consistently, and I think you have a rare deal, where you are being allowed to use those Wellness coupons for each can you buy.

#50696 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Kitty doesn’t really seem to like Wellness very much, and my guess is that the carrageenan makes it too thick, or gives it an unpleasant taste. He’ll eat similar foods with out carrageenan just fine. Most of the time, Bentley gets his Wellness if I’m not watching, because he’ll just pick at it and walk off XD

I really do have a nice thing going for me with my coupons, don’t I? Never really thought about it… Lol They make 8 cents off every manufacturer coupon, so it would be silly for them to not take them lol I guess not every store sees it that way.

#50741 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi fellow cat owners-
    I mentioned last week that I bought a water fountain for my cats. I’d like to report back that it works great and I’ve seen 3 out of 4 drinking out of it so far. I wasn’t sure if it would be worth the money or not. But so far so good. My big male has some crystals and am trying to “flush” them out. He was a crunchy addict when I got him, but is now eating some canned along with his crunchies. He actually used to hug the Kibbles bag. Lol! He has drank from the fountain, so am keeping my fingers crossed. Don’t need another vet bill. Have a great Holiday weekend!

#50838 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Omg I just had a heart attack!! So here I am, cleaning up for a BBQ tonight, when I open one of moms lunch coolers, only to be hit in the face with mold and rotten food smells. Nasty! So I take it outside and hose it out, and turn around to go back in and get some bleach, and the front door is open! The wind must have kept it from closing! I say a few bad words as pictures of bad things happening to my nail-capped cat run through my head.

I peek inside real fast, calling him. Nowhere near the door. I run back out side, looking around the house and neighbors house, calling him. Nope!

Run back inside, just about in tears at this point, because who knows how long the door was open and how far he could he gotten, and just two blocks away is a busy road, and OMG KILL ME! I’m calling him, and calling him, he’s not behind the couch, not under the desk, or in the front window, or under the bed.

Get to the kitchen, and there he is, playing in the water the dirty dishes are soaking in. Oblivious little turd. Of course, he sees me coming and jumps down like he’s not doing anything wrong (he’s not allowed on the counters), and rubs all over my legs like “Hi mommy! I’m not doing anything bad! Love love love!” Let me tell you, I scooped him up and squeezed him tighter than any cat should ever squeezed. Omg lol

So that’s my heart attack for the year LOL The only time I ever leave the door open, and he’s actually not sitting right there waiting for a chance to bolt out *rolls eyes*

Glad they’re using it C4C! Kitty just looks at his like “what the crap is this??”, so I just put it up. No sence in having it plugged in if he doesn’t use it lol I do have one of his new ceramic Epcot bowls out with water though. Not that he uses that one either…

#50848 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

We are sharing experiences today. I had everyone in the family over for dinner today and when my niece and nephew left, they didn’t get the door closed. I noticed it about five minutes later. Micah and Angel got out. Micah ran around to the back and asked to be let into the yard. Angel was gone. I got in the truck and started driving down the road towards the busy road and saw Angel run across the road. She was doing her favorite thing and terrorizing Gopher tortoises in their own holes. I slammed on the brakes and parked the truck right in the middle of the road, scooped her up, and took her home. Of course then I called my sister and made sure she had a word or seven with her kids.

#50849 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Glad you found them both! Today must be national “leave the door open day” or something lol

#50855 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Not just a Florida thing??

#50857 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari & BCn: Glad you found your fur babies safe and sound!

Akari:
    Sorry this has taken so long. I had to replace some household equipment; was shopping for the best price, most bells and whistles etc. My neighbor’s lawn mower broke and they asked me to mow their lawn. Then, slowly trying to tear down my garden rather than having to do it all at once has kept me busy.

This info, unfortunately, will be from memory. I cannot find the file I stored the tips my professor gave me for buying generic cartridges. I buy cartridges regularly without using the guide, but you never know if I forgot a crucial tip; oh well. Everything I have bought so far has worked fabulously and saved me a ton of money!

~buy cartridges with the ink level “chip” installed, not listed as “with a chip” or no chip. This relays how many copies have been made to your printer. After printing so many pages an “ink is low” warning message appears on your printer screen, without it you only know when you print a faded page. Some sell cartridges without chips. Some sell cartridges without chips installed and you have to install them, but why buy them when you can buy cartridges with chips installed close to or at the same price.

~some generic cartridges have more ink than the manufacturer’s brand. This just means your printer will warn you that ink is low (it goes by how many pages you printed), but you will get more print jobs out of the cartridge than you would with the manufacturer’s cartridge. This is the case with my printer.

~Buy new cartridges; re-furbished or re-fillable cartridges were not recommended due to possible imperfections that could damage your printer over time.

~look for the seller to list on the page that they follow at least 9001 or the more current ISO standards.

~make sure the seller specifically lists your make and model of printer. For example, HP 6500a rather than 6500 series. If your model is not listed, contact the seller to verify they will work with your printer.

Here’s a few that I found using the info I outlined above using the search “new HP 920 cartridge with chip”:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PK-For-HP-920-XL-Ink-Cartridge-3-Sets-Officejet-6500A-6500-7000-With-Chip-New-/291146562777?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item43c9affcd9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Black-HP-920XL-HP920XL-BK-920-XL-HIGH-YIELD-WITH-CHIP-Ink-Cartridge-CD975AC-/180937612165?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item2a20b8db85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8PK-For-HP-920XL-Ink-Cartridge-2-Sets-Officejet6500A-6500-Series-With-Chip-NEW-/190791698416?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item2c6c1247f0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BLACK-Ink-for-HP-920XL-with-Updated-Chip-HP920XL-BK-Cartridge-3BLACK-/331151542293?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item4d1a2b8815

When I was looking for a new printer for my mom I also took into consideration if I could buy generic cartridges for it. lol Hope you are having a good BBQ!

#50895 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey cat lovers. There is a Star Trek movie marathon on, I won’t be getting anything done today!!!

C4c: I hope your kitty continues to enjoy his new fountain and it helps with his health issues; keep us updated.

FYI, after we briefly discussed TJ’s and their canned cat foods I looked at my Vet’s cat food recommendations and found she only included the chicken and rice recipe on her list; just thought I would pass that info along. I am going to check out all of them when I finally make it to TJ’s; maybe the other recipes fish content is high or they are high in carbs, IDK.

Sharon and Akari: I have had some Authority recipes on my cat food list to check out for a while. I am going to buy a few cans of Go! when I am near a pet store that carries it, thanks for the reviews!

Has anyone used freeze dried tripe? I am looking for some with no additives, just tripe. I was thinking about sprinkling a little on the cats’ canned food. Maybe this will make it taste better and I can add more of a variety to the ones that are addicted to kitty crack.

New Foods Review
    Canned, I apparently made good choices because even my picky eaters liked these new recipes. Of course they only wanted them for a few meals, but they ate them again the next week when offered. I will be adding them to my rotation:
    • Primal Turkey (freeze dried raw) – takes longer to hydrate than what is written in the directions
    • by Nature Organic Chic & Liver – pate’ with a smooth, soft consistency, stays soft after refrigeration
    • Verus NZ Lamb, Tripe, Veg & Green Lipped Mussel – pate’ with smooth, soft consistency with whole peas, stays soft after refrigeration; they of course did not eat the peas.
    • Nutrisource – Chic, Turkey, Lamb & Fish – pate’, stays fairly soft after refrigeration
    • Purina Beyond Chic & Brown Rice – pate’ with a firm consistency
    • Blue Healthy Gourmet Kitten Chicken Entrée (from Akari’s list) – pate’ with a firm consistency
    • Felidae (a poster named Barbara recommended) I found 5.5 oz on sale for 87 cents, woohoo! Chicken Turkey, Lamb and Ocean Fish and Chic & Rice – pate’ with a smooth, soft consistency, stays soft after refrigeration

Kibble:
    • Fromm Beef Livattini – no one liked
    • Fromm Duck ala Veg – big hit, everyone liked
    • Purina Beyond Superfood Herring – everyone liked

I checked out the Annamaet cat kibbles that HDM mentioned her cats did well on. Annamaet Chic & Rice has crab meal (which I am sure makes it quite tasty) and on their website they wrote they use hormone and antibiotic free chicken in their recipes. Both the grain inclusive and GF look promising for my kitties, but I forgot to see if my pet store carries them.

Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day!!!

#50914 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Lol Patty, maybe it is just a Florida thing XD

Thanks for the ink info, Bobby! The ones we ended up with seem to fit your regimes :p

Glad you found some foods every one will eat! The only shop that carried Felidae closed :/ good score on that, though!

#50918 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    Least I can do for the knowledge you shared on couponing and sales!!!!! 😉

I looked at the Filadae site earlier today and the cans I bought look different from what is on their website now. That only means one thing, the pet store reduced the cans with old labels to sell fast. Also, when they do new labels sometimes a new recipe accompanies the new appearance. 🙁 We shall see.

Regardless I almost hate running into good deals like that. I spend too much time trying to decide if I should take advantage of the sale, or be worried I never tried it before and will be stuck with alot of food they won’t eat. lol I can’t win!

#51393 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi All-
    I’m home! All my pets are still alive. My senior kitty stayed with my parents to make sure she got Her medicine and food on a regular schedule. No, I didn’t trust my teenage son to handle this responsibility. My mom was a good sport. She has never had a cat before and doesn’t even particularly like pets that much. Not sure where I got my “disease” from. Lol! Anyway, after about two days of hiding, Rosie came out and was sleeping with them by the end of the week. The other cats stayed home and it looks like my son fed them here and there when convenient. They are young and strong so no issues with that! The dogs were boarded and came home healthy and TIRED! I had them kenneled because I thought it wouldn’t be anymore expensive than an emergency trip to the vet due to my son leaving out yummy stuff they would get in to.

Akari- My human boys are not as responsible as you!

Bdog- Nice pic! Is that his best side? Lol!

I bought some Blue Healthy Gourmet canned cat food yesterday. They are not eating the Nutro Max very well anymore and looking for a replacement. Also bought some Dave’s the other day as well. We’ll see what happens!
    Take care!

#51432 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Glad you got home and every was good while you were gone! My whole family isn’t one for animals either, and here I am with two dogs (of my own), a cat, four reptiles, and five aquariums and two ponds totaling nearly 400 gallons LOL

Good luck with the new foods! I’m lucky to have a cat that eats anything lol

#51440 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

New Food: Fussy Cat
    I gave Chicken and Vegetables in gravy a try. I don’t usually buy food in gravy because I believe the starches and other thickeners disagree with my kitties. The chicken is shredded just like Tiki Cat, Weruva, or Soulistic and is also made in a human grade facility in Thailand. The gravy thickness is between a broth and the gravy in Soulistic; not too thick or heavy. Not all of my kitties like shredded chicken so I mixed it with a pate’ and they all loved it. Of course they did not eat the peas or small diced carrots. It’s not something I will feed regularly, but I am going to look for the chicken and anchovy recipe when I am out stocking up again. I think they will enjoy it mixed into their food for a variety.

Akari: You don’t know how lucky you that Alec is not fussy!!!!! 😉

Hi C4c:
    About 50% of the time I manage to take a picture of one of Bobby’s body parts. He is a dog on the go and has no time to pose for the paparazzi! lol

He hasn’t signed the release form yet for me to post a full picture of him on DFA. lol One of these days I’ll figure out how to post a pic.

It’s one of my favorite pictures of him because it reminds me of how much energy and fun is bundled up in that dog. He was very, very, very happy that day and particularly full of energy because there was almost three feet of snow accumulation over night. Of course I was busy plowing and shoveling, he was busy racing around and trying to make trails in the snow, a little difficult when most of the snow is above your head. He is no help to anyone but himself on these days.

Glad everyone is safe and back home! I have to get babysitters for my zoo when I am out of town. So far I have always been able to find a sitter to come to my house 2x/day. I have a little different scenario with the horses. People that barn sit pretty much will take care of other animals too. It is still worrisome no matter what though.

#51668 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I got a free sample of the Tuna, Shrimp, & Whitefish Fancy Feast Broth in the mail. I don’t care for the ingredients, but gave the cats a sample anyway. My female sniffed, then did the old “cover up the dish” like she was using the litter box, and walked away. My other senior male loved the broth and left the meat, my other male ate the meat. lol

Over the past few weeks I have also fed Stella & Chewy’s freeze dried Chicken dinner to the kitties; only two like it. They are the same two that like Primal FD.

C4c: How’s your sister’s dogs?

#51671 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I got mine in the mail yesterday, too. But I cheated and got one from PetCo, from their sample thing lol How much meat was in yours? There were like three microscopic pieces of crab in the one I got from PetCo LOL

#51672 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

There was quite a bit of meat in mine, it actually looked like the pictures in the advertisements.

#51673 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Maybe you got all the meat that was supposed to be in mine LOL He likes it, anyways, but i agree, it’s not the greatest looking. But free is free!

#51674 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Yeah, I gave it a try because you never know when you might need something that you know a cat will eat with no problem. At least I know the one senior kitty really liked the flavor of the juice. Now I know they like my bone broth better too; it doesn’t take much effort to make, but I think my feelings would have been hurt if they liked the FF broth better! lol

#51675 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Bobby Dog, have you tried Fromm Gamebird for cats? My cat, Princess, devours that stuff where she won’t touch Surf & Turf or the Beef Livatini. For her canned foods, I use Earthborn (chicken only), Wellness (chunks only), Tiki Cat, Weruva, and she loves, loves Fresh Pet Vital roasted meals. Oh, yeah, she also loves Fromm canned food, which btw I use the cat and dog versions of the Gold and 4Star (they both contain taurine).
    She is kind of picky but not overly so, imo. I have also fed her Dr. Tim’s dry, which she likes and Annamaet dry, but she only likes the grain inclusive of it and I prefer to feed her grain free so I don’t buy it all that much.

#51677 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Mom2Cavs:
    Thanks for the recommendations, I really appreciate it and I know all the other cat lovers do too! 😉 If you ever have a question about a cat food, I have a pretty big spreadsheet to refer to. lol

I don’t have a pet store that carries Fromms canned yet. I don’t invest in a case unless I know they will eat it. Good to know the Fromm canned dog has taurine added. Do you feed the Nature’s Variety canned food made for dogs to your cat as well?

I have Anamaet GF & grain inclusive, Fromm’s Game Bird and EB Chic canned on my list to try!

My kitties don’t like chunks and most gravies I stay away from. I believe the starches don’t agree with them because a few tend to vomit after eating them. FP Vital didn’t fly at my house, but I still am going to give one of the rolls a try. I like the Tiki chic recipes, but they get a little tired of it. They are also too finicky for their own good, they forget what life on the streets is like!!

They love Weruva and my pet store just recently suggested the Luxe line to me. Have you ever fed any of these recipes to your kitty? I am going to try a few out.

#51682 Report Abuse
    Reb P

Anyone have recommendations for canned cat food that doesnt import from china?!

#51688 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Reb P:
    Are you asking for a rec for a food without any ingredients from China or a rec for a food that is not made in China?

#51695 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Bdog-
    I have not talked to my sis too much recently. She has in-laws in town. But I will be checking in on my furry niece and nephew tomorrow as they are going on a road trip. Sometimes I think she is afraid to call me cuz she has not followed through with making the changes. Lol! I hope that isn’t the case. I do think she started adding some yogurt and eggs to some of their meals. Baby steps are good for me. I remember how over whelming and it was when I realized how poorly I was previously feeding my pets. Thanks for asking!
    Reb P-
    I try to stick to the budget friendly brands suggested on this site for dogs to feed to my cats as well. I like to feed them Authority, Chicken Soup, and Nutro Max canned foods and Wellness Core dry to my four feline furries. Unfortunately, my kitties love Fancy Feast and some Friskies as well!

#51696 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    I will take baby steps over nothing anyday!!! That’s partly why I have my handy dandy Wal-Mart list ready for action! I have been able to make a few healthy suggestions for some die hard Wal-Mart/grocery store pet food shoppers. One is now asking about different pet stores to shop at since they have noticed an improvement in energy and appearance. They want to try a different kibble and also add some canned to their dog’s diet. It is overwhelming if you have never put any thought into what you feed your pet. Add spending more money and shopping at a place you don’t usually and it’s easy not to make any changes for some people. Baby steps are good!!! 😉

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.