🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    I like the second calc too! Be sure to thank Betsy!!!! Can’t wait til I have a minute to run some foods through it and to check out the website.

Did you check out the handy dandy cat age calculator? Most of my cats are old enough to be my mother or father. lol

#48797 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog, I forget which one it was, but didn’t one of the vets we follow say the cheapest canned food is preferable to the best dry? That helps the guilt factor when Friskies is on the menu at my house.

#48801 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, Dr. Pierson on http://www.catinfo.org stated that it is better to feed cheap canned than any dry kibble. It always makes me feel better too! My shelter kitty loves his crunchies though. Sometimes he hugs the bag. It’s hilarious and pitiful! Lol! At least he is eating most of the wet food now too. My cats are indoor only. Except for the 12 ft by 4 ft outdoor cat enclosure we have set up outside our back sliding door. They got a four foot extension for their birthday last week 🙂 Therefore, they don’t get any yummy mice, birds, moles or anything wild. It makes me feel bad, but losing another cat to a coyote would be much worse!
    Just checked out the age calculator. That is fun too! My senior cat is about the age of my parents also! However, I have a feeling I’m much older than you!

#48802 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi jakes mom:
    Haven’t talked to you in a while, how are the fur babies (dog and cat variety)?

Yes, Dr. Pierson of catinfo.org and I would like to add my own personal Vet advocates feeding canned or other moisture rich food regardless of the quality rather than dry food; regardless of the quality of the dry food! There are many other Vets that advocate this as well like the Vet from little big cat.

I do not feel guilty in the least for feeding Purina and neither should anyone else. When a cat goes on a hunger strike it is not good a good thing. I will gladly feed them Purina to keep them healthy. However, I will write due to the inclusion of some ingredients and the carb values of some of Purina’s recipes the choices are limited as to which varieties I feed; this rules out pretty much anything with gravy or sauce.

My cats are very healthy now after almost a year on their new diet of mostly canned and very little dry food. A big thank you goes to my Vet for bringing to my attention the unnatural diet of mostly kibble that I was feeding them.

C4c, I think we are probably about the same age. Although I am a college student, I am not a typical aged college student. Maybe that’s why I love school so much; I am living vicariously through some of my classmates wishing I could turn back time…sometimes! Lol

Bobby is going nuts because three deer are meandering up my driveway.

#48866 Report Abuse
    Barbara O

Bobby dog,

I understand about feeding Purina…better than letting them starve but it’s still junk…My cats will eat any type of canned food…which I know isn’t always the best…Cats are carnivores…more so than even dogs…they need more protein and of course, they have to have taurine or they will die…i.e. the reason I feed dry food…I know with my Fennecs I fed a raw diet…ordered 10,000 mealworms a month…and fed pinkies…bought them frozen…Fed raw veggies and fruits…they would not eat dry food…They lived two to three years longer than most Fennecs in captivity. Was told my two outlived the ones most people knew about..Of course, I studied the animal for 6 months…on a daily basis…talking to breeders and owners all over the world..then I purchased my first one…continued to talk to people in England and Japan about fennecs and foxes.

Regarding cats…I will continue to feed both canned and raw tuna…as well as other fis I purchase…my cats are never overweight, never sick and live a very long time…so I’m doing something right…they are never allowed outside so I have plants inside they can nibble on…All my animals are spayed or neutered. Since my animals are well, have had no health problems, I will continue following the protocol I am using…They do get Primal, canned food, dry food, and raw food when I’m cooking dinner in the evening…They have the run of the house…except for our bedroom…this is because of my asthma…PS I also do not believe in vaccinations every year…this actually weakens their systems…I think whatever the animal is…when you find something that works, and the animal is content…you don’t need to be changing things just because some article or someone says to do so…It’s different if the animal is sickly…then I would be willing to try whatever would work.

#48871 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Barbar O:
    Taurine is required in any dry or wet cat food that is AAFCO approved.

I limit the amount and variety of fish I eat for health reasons and I do my best not to feed my cats fish like tuna or salmon due to the contaminates found in the types of fish used in most cat food.

I absolutely agree, no one should change the care they give their animals “because of some article or someone says to do so.” It’s important to keep up with current research and to evaluate techniques, studies, and other pet owners experiences, but most important the results they achieve good or bad. I also like to work with my Vet when it comes to the care of my pets.

Good luck with your protocol and all the wonderful animals you have in your care.

#48900 Report Abuse
    Barbara O

Bobby O

I am aware of the fish problem. The cats don’t get any more fish than the two humans in this house eat…I limit our fish due to mercury and now we have to worry about Japan’s radiation being sent to us via the sea…I agree that most Junk goes into a lot of our cat and dog foods…I know they would pick up spoiled meats from food markets, not unwrap a great deal of the food…just toss it into the pots with the styrofoam and plastic still on it…hopefully this has changed but I doubt it with the cheaper feeds…Purina was guilty of doing this…I took several meats courses in college and I won’t touch weiners….not eating something that mold grows on, then is cleaned off with a chemical and package and sold to the unsuspecting public…if they do this to humans, what do you think they’ve done to the animals?

I am also aware of the law regarding Taurine…there are actually some breeds of dogs that need taurine daily in their diets…You’ll note that Nature’s Variety canned food is the same for dogs and cats…and taurine is in both…

I also know if you withdraw taurine from wolf pups, they can develop cardiomyopathy, juvenile cataracts and reproduction problems…as will foxes….Provide them with the taurine early enough and all of these things can be reversed….

The problem with homemade raw diets is getting enough taurine included…that’s why I’ve always kept taurine capsules on hand…I actually sprinkled it over my foxes’ food several times a week. I know mealworms provide taurine but they still got a shot of the stuff weekly in their food…They were never ill…cats, like foxes have to have it and if a raw diet is used, jut add it.

#48917 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

Thanks to crazy4cats and Bobby dog!
    I am a foster mom to a lot of dogs. Currently I have 6 dogs. When my stray cats showed up, I had no idea what to do with them. I never had a cat before. The only thing I knew about cats is they like to chase mice and eat fish, and that I learned from watching cartoons! I am trying to learn all I can, and not from Tom and Jerry! And I am finding out I ADORE cats!!!!!!!! Im am hoping more show up! LOL !

Thanks Bobby dog for the web site on feeding cats. That will come in very handy for me! I also feed canned food. I buy “Dave’s” at my local store. Its grain free and only $1.29 for the big can! So tuna/fish is not good for cats??

I have checked out Chewy.com. They have good prices on cat food and I think free shipping too!

For folks with picky eaters. If you want to change your dry kibble. Do it a few pieces at the time. Hide them in the bottom of their regular dry food. Each day add a few more. Do this VERY slowly. One gal did this and it took 3 months to change from a walmart type food to a really good one.

Feed — Rescue — Foster — Adopt

#48926 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Tindaisy-
    I love the fact that you also love cats now! LOL! No, fish is not very good for cats, believe it or not. I too first learned to love cats when a stray mamma cat showed up on my doorstep with her two kittens! I didn’t know a thing. Of course, I put out a bowl of milk and tuna! That’s what they do on TV, right? I’ve learned the hard way that it really isn’t the best thing. My senior 15 year old cat has hyperthyroidism most likely due to the fact that I fed nothing but canned Fancy Feast seafood variety for years along with kibble. I had one die of hyperthyroidism a few years back. It’s best to feed mainly chicken, turkey, duck and rabbit to cats. I am going to see if I can find the Nutrisource canned food you are feeding. I think our local feed store will probably carry it as they have their dry food.

Thanks for taking care of the strays. Cats really are a beautiful animal.

#48927 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

crazy4cats you’re so sweet!

Here is a link at chewy.com for the canned food.

http://www.chewy.com/cat/daves-pet-food-naturally-healthy/dp/51684

If it doesn’t work just go to chewy.com and search Dave’s. For the big can, it comes to a little over $1.80 per can for the big can.

I havent tried the Nutrisource canned food yet,but my cats loved the turkey ( green bag) grain free kibble. Fromm is another brand that is great! Great company also!

#48931 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Tindaisy:
    I love some classic Tom and Jerry! Those must be pretty persuasive cats to turn you into a cat lover and wishing for more strays. I’ll say it again, lucky kitties. You and C4c have something in common, the love of cats by a few strays stopping by your homes.

If you have a Tractor Supply Store local their brand 4Health is a very budget friendly food with decent ingredients; 46 cents/5.5 oz or 99 cents/13.2 oz, co-packed by Simmons. Only one of my cats will eat 4Health, wish they all would, what are you going to do. I have ordered from Chewy.com a few times, excellent prices and service. Many posters on DFA recommend them as well. Here are some other sites to check out; sign up for e-mail/newsletters from these sites so you can receive info on sales and free shipping offers:
    http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies-dog-cat-food-bed-toy/b?ie=UTF8&node=2619533011
    http://www.petco.com/
    http://www.petflow.com/
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/
    http://www.petsmart.com/
    http://www.wag.com/

I have my Vet to thank for the journey to learn more about pet nutrition. About a year ago she sent out her monthly newsletter discussing common health issues that could have been avoided by proper nutrition and feeding species appropriate foods. She invited anyone who was interested to stop by for a list of pet food she compiled for cats and dogs. I thought to myself what I was feeding had to be fine since they were name brands that are advertised often, but I’ll stop by and see what she has to say. After I read the information she compiled I was off to the races to research more about pet nutrition. I talked further about nutrition with my Vet, read some books, magazine articles, and visited many sites. The criteria I follow regarding pet nutrition constantly changes and grows the more I learn. I like catinfo.org and DFA because of the simplicity they use to present information to their readers.

Catinfo.org is probably the most popular cat site for the regulars on this thread, but there are several others that are very helpful with current information on feline nutrition and care as well. Here’s another site: http://www.littlebigcat.com/
    Both of these sites are run by Vets and I am sure others will chime in with their favorite websites as well. Here’s some links to check out regarding cat nutrition:
    http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-dry-food-is-bad-for-cats-and-dogs/

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

On this thread we all share are trials and tribulations about getting our cats to transition to quality foods and other stuff too. Most of mine will eat a premium brand canned food a few times a week and I have a couple that will eat some commercial raw once a week, but most of mine are addicted to kitty crack. Most of my cats are 15+ and I am not going to push a drastic diet change on them at their age. They are now eating mostly canned food with a little GF kibble on the side. I can always hope for more, but I am happy to have transitioned them this far with no issues.

Fish is a concern for all of us farmed or wild caught. Although the quality of fish that is included in pet food might be questionable the same could be said about the quality of meat. So I focus on minimizing exposure to fish and try my best to get quality food in them when they will eat it. My cats’ revolt if they do not get fish a few times a week so I mix in sardines packed in water with their canned food. Sardines typically do not have as much mercury or contaminates that other fish may have. If it were up to me I would not feed fish at all.
    From Dr. Pierson:
    “I do not feed fish to cats for the following reasons:
    • high allergy potential (manifested as skin allergies or inflammatory bowel disease, and possibly asthma)
    • toxin/mercury contamination
    • PBDEs (fire retardant chemicals) – PBDEs are potent thyroid disruptors
    • often high in phosphorus and magnesium
    • highly addictive – the cat will not eat anything else”

Thanks for sharing tips on transitioning food. The crazy thing is I thought I would have the most problem with changing their kibble. They always ate canned food with no problem so I thought that would be the easiest. The opposite occurred with mine. I rotate between several kibbles with no transition. It was the Friskies they were addicted to. lol I can’t tell you the money I have spent on quality food only to have them sniff and walk away. I have one cat that pretty much will eat anything and if all else fails Bobby dog is more than willing to clean the cats’ plates. All is good though, they are happy and healthy fur babies.

Akari started this thread and another one about coupons and sales we all share with each other if you are interested. Here’s a link to the coupon thread:
    /forums/topic/coupons/page/11/

Stop back and let us know how your guys are doing!

#48932 Report Abuse
    Barbie D

I have not read through all the replies, so forgive me if I am repeating recommendations. I feed my cat Victor dry food and Felidae wet food. My daughter’s cat is very picky and will only eat Earthborn Holistic wet food, but she likes the Victor dry food too.

#48935 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Barbie D:
    This thread is very long and if you don’t have time to spare it only makes sense to just jump in. lol

Thanks for the recs, we all appreciate it! I think C4c feeds Victor to her cats. I wish I could buy that brand locally for both my cats and dogs, but no one around me sells it. I’ve only fed a few samples to my dog which he loved so when someone starts selling it near me I will be buying.

I have not tried Felidae, I will check that out. My cats didn’t care for one of the Earthborn flavors I tried but I do plan on trying some of their other recipes.

Tindaisy:
    I was thinking about trying the Nutrisource GF Turkey. I need one more kibble for my rotation so I was looking at Nutrisource GF and Pure Vita GF. So I think I will try the Nutrisource Turkey next. My cats did not like the Fromms Salmon ala Veg and only two liked the Beef recipe from that same line.

#48938 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, I did try the Victor dry cat food, but my cats didn’t like it much. It is really the first dry food that they haven’t cared much for. I have been feeding a bunch of different kibbles. Right now I’m finishing up Merrick grain free weight control and transitioning to a Nutro indoor variety that was a free sample at a vendor show. I forget exactly which one it is. But, the ingredients and analysis really didn’t look too bad. I was pleasantly surprised! I have fed Earthborn, Wellness Core, Taste of the Wild, and Premium Edge kibbles in the last year. My dogs’, on the other hand, really like the grain free Victor.

#48939 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

For my guys kibbles Wellness Core Turkey & Duck is still in my rotation with Simply Nourish Turkey & Chicken being new to my line-up. So Nutrisource will be up to bat next. Of course I have those three big bags of GF Innova from that super sale/coupon deal to last a while too; gotta love a good deal!

#48941 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Hey everyone!! Just checking in to say hi.

I too try to limit the dry food that my kitties get. They do love TOTW and the calories are low, so I am currently feeding that mixed in with another dry food that they don’t like as much. I have about 4lbs of kibble in my storage container, and that will take me months to go through, but I will switch it out when its gone. This month I got a good price on Instinct Healthy Weight Chicken 3oz cans, and so far so good. The consistency is definitely different then the normal Instinct varieties, and there is Cod in it, but the cod is the 5th ingredient, and the food doesn’t smell fishy, so I don’t count it as a fish option in my rotation. lol. I also got the big 12.5oz cans of the Wellness Turkey which my cats almost always like (they like it a lot better than the chicken variety for whatever reason, even though the turkey one is half chicken) I also have been feeding the Instinct LID Turkey which they eat but don’t seem to love, and Nature’s Logic Chicken which only one will eat. I have a case of TOTW Rocky Mountain cans in my rotation and that is salmon and chicken and my cats have always really LOVED it.

#48942 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Sharon, good to hear from you!!!

It’s hard to find a canned food that my cats will eat without any fish included regardless of how far down the ingredient list it is, I just try to do what I can to limit fish when possible! lol

#48945 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

My cats are eating Annamaet right now and doing well. I’ve got a bag of Holistic Select to try next. Knock on wood, my female cat who is a bit sensitive has been doing well on the foods I’ve been trying recently.

#48950 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Which Holistic Select formula?

#48951 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

If you don’t mind my asking

#48952 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

The Adult & Kitten Chicken

#48953 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey HDM:
    Thanks for sharing your cat food choices with us. I wasn’t aware Annamaet made cat food, I will see if my pet store has it next time I am shopping. I need a few small bags of different kibbles for my rotation. There are a few Holistic recipes I have on my list to try so let us know how your cats liked it.

#48955 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

All of the cats that I’ve tried that Holistic Select variety have really liked it. I have to really watch the calorie content with the dry food because the one that eats most of the dry food is a little tubby and gains weight quickly. He is 13.5 lbs so he isn’t hugely overweight but still should be leaner but I have not been able to get him below 13.5. He went up to 14.2 at one point. I was thinking about trying the grain free indoor Holistic Select because it is a little lower in calories. The volume seems to really make a difference to him, even though he gets wet food too, when I’ve tried giving a smaller portion of higher calorie kibble he begs and begs for more.

#48967 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks Sharon. I will try Holistic as well. I haven’t had to worry about calories too much, but I can say my youngest kitty did put on a pound or two last winter. I am going to pay attention to his calories this winter. He shed it as soon as the weather broke without any issues, but I am going to watch his weight more closely this winter.

I got quite a few samples of the Holistic GF Lamb for Bobby and he really loved it.

#48981 Report Abuse
    Barbara O

I really think I’d feed what they love…as long as it’s a decent quality..my silly cats will eat Friskie’s canned cat food but turn their noses up if I give them TOTW…and they won’t eat the dry TOTW any longer..they love Halo…wonder what it is about the flavor they add, and I do feed fish….My cats are rescues and I have always rotated and given then fish…never been sick…The oldest one is about 17…I do feed eople salmon and people tuna…sorry…if it’s good enough for me, it’s good enough for them…All other meats brought into the house is organically raised, and/or grass fed…

This is the first time I’ve not Siameses running around…We lost ours to a weird disease that causes them to go blind…it’s genetic…I’ve had two Siamese to have it…one I had in Texas, the other one here in AZ.

As long as you’re feed good quality, feed what they like…Most dogs will eat the same food over and over…cats, on the other hand, will not…they want rotation. Having a hard time feeding the Canidae…and it’s a good food…so…I gave in yesterday and filled the Halo feeder…You’d have thought I’d given them candy…

#49000 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Yeah I’m a big fan of Annamaet products. I’m using the Original (grain-inclusive) formula now. I was just on their website though and noticed there’s a new grain-free formula, I don’t think the store had it yet when I got my bag because I didn’t see it. It looks great, it’s 44% protein and 20% fat.

#49018 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Barbara, it sounds like you take great care of your cats. But, I caution anyone reading this thread to be VERY careful about feeding your cats a significant amount of fish. Especially human tuna fish. It can cause a number of health issues, such as malnutrition by Vit E deficiency, mercury poisoning, steatis, hyperthyroidism and it has a high allergy potential. It is deficient in taurine which can lead to retinal degeneration and cause your cats to go blind. My senior cat has hyperthyroidism most likely from feeding her canned seafood variety cat food for years that is high in PBDES. It’s best to stick to poultry and rabbit flavors. Seafood now and then is Ok, but not daily and especially not human fish that is not supplemented with extra taurine. Unfortunately, most cats love it and it is very addictive. I know we all grew up thinking that you should feed your cats canned tuna and milk. I know that’s what I did! But, it really isn’t a good idea.

#49031 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Very well stated C4c.

#49044 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog, thanks for reminding me about the Tractor supply brand. I have one not too far out of my way, need to check it out one of these days. All the furry kids are fine. Jake’s doing well with the ABC diet, altho I believe he’s gained a bit of weight. Gotta work on balancing the calories between his kibble and fresh foods. My fault, he’s such a beggar!
    Kitties are all happy and healthy, as C4C put it, my geriatric ward! lol Only issue with anybody is Dustin, my 19yo hyper-t guy, and he’s hanging in there! Loves the coco oil, as do 2 of the other cats. All eating mostly canned, altho Benjamin really prefers his crunchies.
    Have not been on here as much lately, the summer brings outside duties, garden and mowing! And more time at the park with Jake, too, after work.

#49046 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey jakes mom:
    I hear you about those pesky outside duties. I was just trying to enjoy my dinner and all I could think of is I really need to mow the lawn and weed the garden some before it rains next.

Funny, I have the same issue with Bobby. He probably gained a couple pounds this summer. He is a little backward in his activity levels. He is extremely active in the fall, winter, and spring. Well, he’s active as long as it’s not raining; he is a delicate flower after all! He is really an indoor guy in the summer. He goes outside and will stay with me most of the time, but no real physical activity except for our walks. I have been scaling back his meals a little to take care of it and adding a little more time to our walks. Actually, I need a little more walking also. lol

Did you get addicted to the coco oil yet? I am. That’s wonderful they are all almost eating just canned and probably some Freshpet too. I am going to take a break from trying to ween mine off kibble for a while. The amount I am down to is great to me considering how much kibble they used to eat. Baby steps, right?!?!

TSC does not have the 4Health canned cat food on their website in case you have looked. For a little while when I looked it up on their site their lower quality canned, Paws & Claws, would come up as 4Health. At my TSC they carry Chic & Beef, Turkey & Salmon, Chicken, and Indoor Chic formula; there may be more recipes IDK. I would take a guess and say the carbs are probably around 10%. They are all pate’ style with a few cubed carrots and some whole peas. My cat never eats the peas or carrots they are the only thing left behind when he finishes eating it. Here’s a few of the ingredients from the chicken and beef recipe: Chicken, chicken broth, liver, beef, dried egg product, brewer’s rice, dried potatoes, barley, guar gum, carrots, dried cranberries, dried blueberries… Protein min 9%, fat min 6%, fiber max 1.5%, moisture 78%. Not a bad food for rotation at 49 cents/5.5 oz or 99 cents/13.2 oz.

If your interested in a canned food for Jake, Bobby highly recommends 4Health too. It is one of the main canned foods I use in his rotation; 99cents/13.2 oz and $1.30?/for a larger can. 😉

#49091 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

Thank you so much Bobby dog for all the info!!! I do have a Tractor Supply not too far from me. I will check out the 4Health food. Im glad to see they also make dog food! With all my foster dogs, its great to find a less expensive food with good ingredients. Once you know the truth about pet foods, its so hard not to buy the good stuff, even if its just for feeding stray cats!

My cats are doing great!! Sunday is a Flame Point Siamese. He showed up on a Sunday, hence the name. My next stray showed up the following Sunday. He is a grey with black stripes and big blotches of white. I named him Axel. Axel has already brought me 4 moles and 2 birds! Then a tiny, light grey with stripes, kitten showed up. I wonder if Sunday is spreading the word about the good food at my house! LOL! I named the kitten Lilith. I just love them!!

I’ve asked all over and no one is missing any cats. So maybe they were just dumped off. I have to get them to the vet soon for spay/neuter etc. I had my 6 dogs ( mine and foster dogs) in the garage with the 3 cats and everyone got along great!!! YAY!!

Feed – Rescue – Foster – Adopt

#49099 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Tindaisy:
    They sound like beautiful kitties and I really love the names too! I love it when they all get along. All of my dogs got along with cats and it’s always good for a laugh when they play with each other.

FYI – I feed 4Health products to my dog and cats and really like them; not to mention they are very budget friendly! 4Health is reviewed well on DFA. I would also like to let you know about who manufactures them so you can make an informed decision about the products if you choose to feed them. If you are aware of who manufactures 4Health products and their history, you can stop reading this post now. lol

Some of the grain free kibble dog foods and GF cat food are made by Ainsworth – GF turkey, GF beef dog foods, and the GF cat food. The other kibble recipes are manufactured by Diamond – GF whitefish, GF duck, GF pork, all grain inclusive dog foods, and the grain inclusive cat food. Diamond also manufactures Taste of the Wild kibbles. Many of their products are sold at TSC and other places as well.

Diamond has a history of repeated recalls and I believe they just came to an agreement in settling one case against them. Any food can have recalls, kibble, canned, or raw, and you can only hope they take care of the issue responsibly, Diamond in my opinion did not. You can read more about Diamond recalls on the review side under the recall tab and various other websites. I personally have not knowingly bought a Diamond product since around 2007. I was not aware of pet food companies outsourcing the manufacturing of their foods until I came to DFA. So I have fed products manufactured by them, but I now keep track of who co-packs the food I feed.

I think the east coast factory is the one that was involved in the recalls. If I lived on the west coast I would consider and probably would feed Diamond products. They have several factories on the west coast and I don’t think they have been involved in any recalls.

I won’t completely rule them out for the future. They really look like good recipes to me and have a great price point, but I live in a region that more than likely would be supplied by the east coast factory. Hopefully they have addressed their issues and will be producing quality pet food in the years to come. So for now my choice is not to feed any products manufactured by Diamond.

#49100 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Tindaisy:
    I think I already mentioned this, but in case I didn’t all the 4Health canned dog and cat food is manufactured by Simmons. I have fed all recipes of the dog and cat food and like them all. The cat food is pate’ style. The salmon and lamb canned for dogs is pate’ style and the rest are stew styles.

Another budget friendly canned dog food is Wal-Marts Pure Balance. This is also part of Bobby’s main canned rotation. It is reviewed well on DFA also. The stew styles are 99 cents and the 95% meat are $1.25.

Both brands are manufactured by Simmons and all of these brands are complete balanced recipes.

#49104 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

Thank you again Bobby dog!!

I didn’t know some of the 4Health food was packed at the Diamond facility. Thanks so much for the info! I am trying to stay away from Diamond too. Its too bad about all the recalls, because some of their food looks pretty good and the price is great also. I recently found out the “Premium Choice” dog food I just bought is also made by Diamond. I don’t think I will be buying that again.

Is there a Diamond facility in Missouri? I am in the Midwest, I think that is where our Diamond food comes from. I did a little research on out sourcing. I had NO IDEA how many pet foods are not made in their own factories!

I am looking for a new store to buy my food from. Every time I go in my local pet food store they give me a hard time about switching foods, and wanting to try a different brand. They push the Nurtisource and Purevita like its the only food on the market. I wonder if they get a good kick back from that company. I have a lot of different dogs and fosters with different needs. Im just sick of getting harassed. Its too bad for them, I spend quite a bit of money there every month!!

What kind of dog is Bobby? Cute name!
    Thanks again for all your help!!

#49108 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Tindaisy:
    You are welcome!

His name really fits him, thanks.

Sorry about the long winded explanation about my avoidance of Diamond when you already were aware; I should have just asked. lol

I am not sure about Missouri, but I think there is a facility there. The South Carolina facility was involved with most if not all of the recalls. That is definitely where the Diamond food sold in my region comes from unfortunately.

I am not sure what kind of dog Bobby is. He came from a shelter in Tennessee. At the time the pets only had three days to be adopted because they were at full capacity. The story goes he was dumped off prior to the shelter opening and waiting by the door when employees arrived for the day. He was too young to be separated from his mom and they were able to find a foster family to take care of him until he was adopted. He was a tiny little guy when I got him. I was looking for a dog that would be the size of a short legged JRT at maturity. They felt he was a terrier mix and wouldn’t weigh more than 20 lbs at maturity. He was full of worms and fleas when I got him. When I finally got rid of the worms he grew like a weed. He is now a little over 40 lbs. lol So much for my small dog. He might be some sort of a cattle dog mix. He has a coat and coloration of a short haired german pointer, has ears that stand up and are a little too big for his head, and his tail is a little short for his body type. He is obsessed with birds and points every now and then. He also likes to herd chickens and cats. Every so often I see pictures of puppies or dogs that look very similar to him and they are either a cattle dog breed or a mixture of one. Funny thing is my friend recently took her son to visit a college in Tennessee and she said every dog she saw looked like Bobby. They even had a picture of a dog that looked very much like him in their brochure. So who knows what he is, but he definitely is a lot of fun!

I forgot about one other budget friendly canned food, sorry C4c (it’s one of her fav’s along with others on DFA). It is by far the most budget friendly of the five star canned foods, Costco’s Nature’s Domain Turkey & Pea Grain Free. I don’t have a Costco membership so I always forget about it. You purchase it by the case and the price might vary a little depending on location, it’s $20.79 for 24 13.2 oz cans. I have a membership to BJ’s and buy their Earth’s Pride canned food for Bobby. It isn’t as budget friendly as the others, $8.99/6 pack, but perfect for my rotation.

That’s ashamed to feel pressured to buy something in a store you frequent. It would also be frustrating if the person selling the food did not understand each of the needs you must address when feeding your pets.

I recently finished a bag of Nutrisource chicken & rice which Bobby loved and did well on. I have the GF Lamb to feed after I finish the kibble I am feeding now. I also plan on trying the cat food kibble you are feeding. I like the company and they must be doing well because my pet store chain is now fully stocked with Nutrisource, Pure Vita, and their Organics line too. Thank goodness they never try to pressure me into buying food. I keep hoping Victor will reach my area, but no one seems interested in carrying it so far.

#49237 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

Hi Bobby dog!

No need for sorry about the Diamond. It’s always great to hear about dog food and manufacturers. I can always learn something new! Thanks again for all the info and links! I really appreciate it!

Bobby sounds like quite the character! He sound so cute! I bet he’s so smart too! You sometimes never know what you will end up with when you adopt a mixed breed puppy! So glad to hear you adopted from a rescue! He is so lucky to have you!

WOW! The canned food at Costco’s is an amazing price!! There is a Costco’s here in Minnesota, but its a ways from me. I have always wanted to check it out. I might have to make a trip to the big city!!

It seems Nurtisource is popping up all over. I’ve had really good results with it.

#49263 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Your welcome!

All of my animals throughout the years, except for three horses and a dog, were strays or give aways. My JRT was a birthday present from a former boss and I have bought three horses over the years. I love strays and horses that need new homes the best, can’t help myself.

Bobby is a character. I think he’s smart, but don’t we all think our dogs are smart? lol One of my favorite games is to move a knick knack in the living room around or add something new. Within a minute of walking in the room and noticing something is missing he’ll look for it. When he finds it he gives it a good sniff like he is taking a mental note “okay, this goes here now.” I just move things around from the coffee table to the fireplace or something. When he finds something new it’s the same routine, sniff it and confirm its presence. I think he would have a good career spotting shoplifters.

I would imagine you could clean up at Costco for feeding your fosters. C4c could advise you better, but I think she would probably recommend you contact the store before making a long trip to make sure it’s in stock. I am sure she will stop by and let you know if I am giving the right advice.

#49287 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    When you have a second, Tindaisy might visit Costco to stock up on canned dog food, but the drive is a little far. Would you check out the advice I gave her in the above post? I don’t want to lead anyone astray!! 😉

#49289 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Bobbydog/Tindaisy-
    Yes, you gave good advice. Definitely give them a call to check inventory before you make the long drive. I just took a look and it looks like all locations in our Midwest Region carry it. When you call, it is listed under KSND Turkey Stew, #895073.
    It is a great deal for canned. It smells and looks delicious! Good luck!

#49305 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

Thank Bobby dog and c4c! I will make sure and give them a call first before I venture out!

WOW! Bobby is a very smart dog!!!
    Horses…..aaaaahh! Always my dream as a little girl to have one. But its never too late…..right??? LOL! They are such beautiful animals. OH! and so are dogs and cats. You can’t forget rabbits, they are beautiful too! Even ducks and chickens. And fainting goats…what is cuter than that?? Can you tell I love animals?!

Thanks again for all the info!

#49332 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! I’m back from vacation and stopping in with some pics. No food updates, though, other than he seems to be enjoying his new rotation.

We went to Universal and Islands of Adventure (HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!) and Epcot. It was my first time to Epcot, and my bazillianth time to Universal and Islands of Adventure. Epcot was pretty cool, but there’s no rides (not like Universal and Islands of Adventure), and the “countries” are too small. Not much to do there. Some of the shops are AWESOME though. And the fireworks at the end of the night were some of the best I’ve ever seen. Anyways, I bought some new bowls in Japan for the cat. I saw them and was in love! They are too cute, and the perfect size and depth. I can never find anything at the pet stores I like, and they were $7 a piece, the same as buying from a pet store anyways, so I figured why not? They’re wide enough for his big head, shallow enough that he shouldn’t feel closed in, but deep enough to hold a 5.5 oz can of food with out having to squeeze it in there like I do his cheap $2 walmart stainless bowls. Check them out!

[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/Akari53/media/D77D9B2F-1C17-4F02-922A-0B6D28C41200_zps3ybiybiu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/D77D9B2F-1C17-4F02-922A-0B6D28C41200_zps3ybiybiu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/Akari53/media/9CB5F1C5-32A9-4B3C-96F8-B5981DD8E75B_zpsavuhfnqs.jpg.html][IMG]http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/9CB5F1C5-32A9-4B3C-96F8-B5981DD8E75B_zpsavuhfnqs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/Akari53/media/DA72862C-773A-4F32-B5AD-B97668B83669_zpsvr3pkwt4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/DA72862C-773A-4F32-B5AD-B97668B83669_zpsvr3pkwt4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

He also wanted to help me unpack when I got home tonight. And by that, I mean keep me from getting unpacked… Lol

[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/Akari53/media/2819B6A9-A2C1-4747-AFBF-E2D57758F65A_zpsbbmr4r9e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/2819B6A9-A2C1-4747-AFBF-E2D57758F65A_zpsbbmr4r9e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

And since he was locked in my room for a week, he promptly started causing trouble, and then laid in the middle of his mess to admire it *rolls eyes*

[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/Akari53/media/10C0695C-CCB4-4000-8BA7-DB0CFC85F150_zpsaqgjdcmu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/10C0695C-CCB4-4000-8BA7-DB0CFC85F150_zpsaqgjdcmu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Tindaisy, I’m right there with you! I love them all! Lol

#49337 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant
    #49346 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, those bowls look perfect! Sounds like you had fun. Thanks for the pics. Kitty looks happy and healthy!

OK, the parking lot is in for our new Trader Joe’s store. It should be opening up soon. (I hope) If I remember correctly, Trader Joe’s canned cat food is on Dr. Pierson’s preferred list. Has anyone tried it? I’ll be curious to see what it is like.

#49348 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey guys
    It’s a very, very, very rainy day here, Bobby is not happy.

Akari:
    Glad you’re back!! I will post cartridge info later when I can get to my saved info for it. 🙂

Love the bowls and the pics too!!! Alec looks happy to have someone to bother.

C4c:
    So jealous of your TJ’s. I have to drive so far to get to one, 🙁 but I will be going by one in the fall as you know so we can compare notes about shopping there! TJ’s is on Dr. Pierson’s list (and my Vet’s list too). I looked at reviews on YouTube and various other sites. I couldn’t find ingredient or analysis info anywhere on TJ’s website. I remember it has rice and fish in some or all recipes. It reminded me of a CSFCLS or BB quality. I am definitely going to try some out. Most reviews I read commented that it was decent quality and budget friendly to add to a rotation.

FYI for all you cat lovers, you know how I love a good PDF download. On Little Big Cat Dr. Hofve’s updated book “What Cats Should Eat” is on sale for $4.97, regularly $8.99 until 8/15. Her approved list of cat food is included which was just updated last month. The list even includes some dry, although as you know she discourages feeding dry food. Also on the approved list are commercial raw (dehydrated, freeze dried, frozen etc), foods that need supplements, treats, toppers, meal supplements, foods considered but not approved, foods that were approved and why they are no longer approved.

I haven’t had a chance to read it, just downloaded it yesterday, but the list I was happy with. I can comment that some of the foods she lists are not an option for me because of the manufacturers, but nevertheless I am glad I purchased the book because there are plently of foods listed. Some chapter topics are dry diets, wet diets, nutrition related diseases, alternative diets, and making your cat’s food at home; it’s 62 pages. Here’s the link to the bookstore on her website if you’re interested: http://www.littlebigcat.com/bookstore/

#49365 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Man, I want a traders joes… 🙁

He’s definitely happy to be out of the bed room. And the new bowls seem to be working out great. He hasn’t tipped them over yet, so that’s good LOL

#49718 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

So I finally broke down and bought the flaked turkey Authority yesterday lol I had 4 days of cat food left (sorted into rotation, but also another 4 1/2 unsorted). I also sucked it up and paid so much more than I wanted to for Wellness. I bought 22 cans of Authority for $16 and then 20 cans of Wellness (Chicken, and Beef & Chicken) for $14, and added them all (evenly, of course!) to his rotation. So now he gets:

Authority Flaked Turkey
    Wellness Beef & Chicken
    Authority Flaked Turkey
    Wellness Chicken
    Ideal Balance Venison
    Authority Flaked Turkey
    Wellness Beef & Chicken
    Authority Flaked Turkey
    Wellness Chicken
    Sheba (Beef or Chicken)

And then it starts all over again. The only variation in this is that I have an extra can of Wellness Turkey and Wellness Tuna that he’s getting tomorrow, before settling into the rotation “for real”. I’ve currently got 28 days of that rotation, so I’ll be good for a couple weeks. Hopefully a good deal pops up, because I’m just a poor college student, and I can’t afford $30 a month on cat food LOL But considering nothing was on sale, and I used only coupons, I didn’t do too bad this time around. Could have been worse! I may buy a case of Friskies Special Diet to cut the cost down over-all. I’ve got all good food for him right now, not counting three whole days (out of 29) of Sheba. I’ll just have to see how my hours at work go, and how deals are for the next few weeks. I really hope Wellness goes on sale again soon, though, and hopefully he likes the Authority so I can watch for that to go on sale as well. If you guys see any good deals around for cat food, please let me know!

#49723 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Akari-
    Looks like a great variety of meals for kitty! Were those small cans of Wellness that you got 20 for $14? Even, still, that seems like a good price. Good girl!

#49727 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

They were the big 5.5 oz cans. I used my $1 off one coupons and $4 off $20 (one for each 10 cans if wellness and one for the Authority). Not bad, but I’d much rather pay 50 or 60 cents a piece for them lol

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Akari_32.
    #50066 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Ok, not a food recommendation, but a feel good story…
    A coworker of my husband’s got married a few weeks ago and they went to Hawaii for their honeymoon. While hiking in Maui, out in the middle of nowhere they came upon a kitten in very bad shape. They scooped it up and took it to the Humane Society. It was in bad shape, but was nursed back to health. Well, the couple then had the kitten flown home here to Washington and they now have a kitty name Maui! My husband laughed at me because it brought tears to my eyes when he told me about it. I’m so ridiculously emotional at times! Lol!

#50074 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

C4C I just popped in here <3 <3 <3 what an amazing story!!!!!!!

Sorry guys I am behind on the rest of the threads, don’t have much time for catching up, but I hope everyone and all the furbabies are happy and healthy!

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.