Budget Friendlier Food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Budget Friendlier Food

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lisabethholly
    Participant

I need to switch my dogs to a budget friendlier food. I have an 85 lb lab who needs grain free food & a 105 lb rottie with hip dysplasia (13 months old). They’ve been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed formula but I just changed jobs & took a huge pay but (but even bigger happiness raise) so I need to find something more affordable.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you!
    Holly, Brody (the rottasaurus) & Faith (the golden child)

#15422 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

A DFA fan made this spreadsheet a while back. Probably a little out of date now but it should be helpful as a starting place. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmNw5KB82-n_dGtyOEpVVXhPQ2tfeU1FUGdEdjVnTkE&hl=en#gid=1

I order online, from doggiefood.com mostly. The food is so much cheaper than at PetSmart– and for the same or better product.

#15626 Report Abuse
    Bikos Buddy
    Participant

Excellent resource, has anyone tried doing this in regards to low protein/low phosphorus foods? My Biko, was diagnosed with kidney failure 3 months ago and I’m having a heck of a time trying to find a compatible dog food that comes out the exit in normal fashion.

#15633 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

If a low protein food is a must then I’d point to Solid Gold Holistique Blendz. However, most of the time the problem is not the QUANTITY of protein, but the QUALITY of the protein. Not knowing what you’ve been feeding makes it difficult to determine if that’s the issue, but if you’ve been feeding a food whose protein comes mainly from fruits and/or vegetables, going with a food with more animal-based protein (aka “meat”) may do the trick.

#15637 Report Abuse
    Bikos Buddy
    Participant

Bryan, I previously had been feeding Taste of the Wild, so I think the quality then wasn’t an issue but now what a world of difference with his digestive trac and low protein/phosphorus foods. I’m assuming he is doing okay on that gawd awfull Hill k/d, but it sure is messy cleaning up after him. Presently in the process of changing him over to Natures Select Ultra-Lite, but was told the company is phasing that blend out of there brand line. Where I go next I’ll have to research a bit more.

#15651 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

Taste of the Wild is not what I’d call a “meat based” food. TOTW is a fine food, don’t get me wrong, but at around 40% carbs it’s certainly not the most ideal diet out there. For a few bucks more there’s Merrick’s grain frees, which are around 30% carbs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.