🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lindsy O
    Participant

Hi all, I have a 10 month old black lab/retriever mix who had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. After antibiotics, it was found he had crystals in his urine.

My vet put him on Royal Canine Urinary S/O and it has been nothing but problems since. He is always starving, he stinks (I bath him almost every second day to keep the stench away), he is always peeing and drinking excessive amounts of water.
    We have his mother, who was on the gastro Royal Canine and was not doing well on it (not gaining weight). We switched her to blue buffalo dog food (it is a non dairy, no gluten more “holistic” dog food), and she has been thriving on it. We have been feeding her the recommended amount for her targeted weight and she looks so healthy, and with the royal canine brand she was so thin, you could feel her spine. She did not look healthy when she was on it, and he does not look healthy right now either. It looks like we do not feed him because he is so thin! When he reality, he is suppose to be eating 3 1/2 cups of food a day, and we have him on 6 to try and get his weight up.

I have been trying to convince our vet to let us try another brand of urinanry food, as we cannot get one without her consent, and she won’t (she sells the royal canine and only the royal canine). When she told us our girl needed to gain weight, I asked if we could try another dog food and she got snippy and said “Just feed her more, she’s a hard to keep dog”.

My question here is, I don’t think the royal canine is working well for my dogs. He is always starving, to the point he starting eating her feces to get more nutrients. If I were to switch to a brand that is not meant for urinary problems, is there anything I can do to try and prevent crystals? At this point, he has figured out how to get the garbage can over because he knows there is food in there, and he is starving all the time. He is a little ninja, and he is eating food other then the special urinary blend from the vet. She has told us we just need to put the garbage can away (we have no where else to put it), “watch him better” etc etc.

I Should also mention, when he had the crystals we were living in a house with very very hard water. We have since moved to a town with a special water filtration system for the taps.

I have seen tips on soaking the food in water, and getting cranberry supplements. I wanted to try the blue buffalo with him, and then bring him in for a urinary test in a month to see if he still had the crystals. Any other tips??

#155470 Report Abuse
    Heather C
    Participant

If you are concerned, and you know your dog better than anyone, I would look for a new vet.

#155507 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Lindsy,

What crystal type was your dog found to have?

The increased drinking and urination is what the diet is designed to do so I guess that doesn’t surprise me that you are seeing that effect.

#155563 Report Abuse
    Lori H
    Participant

Hi Lindsy,

I totally know how you feel, I was in the same situation as you about three years ago with my dog Buddy. You might want to look at the following website. My dog Buddy (long hair Chihuahua, Dachshund and Pomeranian) has been through a lot. He is now almost 13 and during his life he has had surgery on his spleen, surgery for bladder stones, been diagnosed with Diabetes as well as Cushing’s and I was also told by my vet that he was suffering from liver failure and was preparing me for the fact that Buddy was going to die. The liver failure diagnosis was over three+ years and today, he is healthy, happy, looks amazing and has energy. It has been an amazing turnaround. I basically had to get him healthy myself. My vet did not support my decision to do what I did, but he is healthy and that is all that matters! I switched vets because I did not believe that the prescription food was helping him, it was killing him. There is not one whole food or much nutritional value in prescription foods. I remember asking my prior vet in an email what the difference was between the labels which consisted of a bunch of names I could not pronounce and he never got back to me, that is when I realized that the industry needs a checkup.

If anything, read what Rick has to say on his website. The change in Buddy’s food as well as the supplements, changed his life. Rick has had success getting dogs and cats healthy!

http://www.doglivershunt.com

Following is my dogs personal story:
    https://www.doglivershunt.com/buddys-story.html

I now believe wholeheartedly that most vets know nothing about nutrition. They are told to carry a line of food in their offices by one of the large pharma/dog food companies because most of these companies go out and recruit at the vet universities across the United States when vets are in school and provide them with a kickback when the sell either Science Diet or Royal Canin in their clinics, up to 40%. My vet wanted me to have Buddy on Hills Science Diet for the rest of his life! He smelled, was overweight and totally miserable while on that crap. I looked at the ingredients and thought to myself, there has to be something better out there. There was not one thing on there that was considered a whole food or ingredient that comes from the natural world!

I was at my wits end as well and thought that I was going to lose Buddy, but I was not willing to give up so I did a Google search and found an amazing person who brought Buddy back to the healthy dog he is.

If you choose to go with his program, it is not cheap, but I believe that over time, I will save money by not taking Buddy to the vet time and time again because I don’t know what is wrong and having a battery of tests run and racking up bills in the thousands, I have been there!

He was slowly weened off of his processed food Science Diet U/D and placed on a diet of fresh veggies and meat based on a very slow transition to follow with Rick’s help.

I suggest reaching out. I think Rick saved Buddy’s life.

Good luck on your search for information and I hope you find a solution.

If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I am happy to talk to you. I have helped three others with their dogs and I truly believe Rick knows what he is talking about. I put my trust in him and I now have a healthy, happy dog. Lori

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.