šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sandra R

What are your opinions about this brand. I could me wrong but I didn’t find any review yet about it.

#52756 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Personally, I’m not a fan of soy, so I’d skip it.

#52757 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I agree with 4ff. Soy in any form is one ingredient I will not feed my dog, cats, or myself.

#52759 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I see that it contains tofu, but I can’t find an actual ingredient list on their website to know what else is in it. I do like that it doesn’t contain meat meal though.

#52775 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Oh my god, this food is available in BULGARIA!!! What???

Initial shock aside, I like tofu! I would try this with Bruno, but it is not sold in the US…

HDM, why is it good that it doesn’t contain meat meal? I thought meat meal was a quality ingredient?

#52788 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Naturella –

Meat meals as inferior to fresh meats. They are highly processed and undergo cooking twice – they are first ground, cooked and dried into a powder-like substance then, after being added to the kibble recipe, cooked again along with the kibble. Fresh meats are only cooked once while making the final kibble product. Meat meals are also notorious for containing lower-quality mean than fresh meat items. Most people tend to shy away from “by-products” however, the only meal protein source in which there is a differentiation between by-product/non-by-product is chicken – this means that for all other protein sources what a named “meal” is, is essentially a “by-product” meal. Meat meal definitely isn’t just dried fresh meat which a lot of people seem to think it is. Unfortunately, meat meal is a necessary evil in order to get the protein in kibbles up to a reasonable level. This is why, if one must feed kibble, I think it’s better to either look for a food that doesn’t contain meal and add fresh meat or canned toppers to get the protein level up or to feed a kibble which contains a heft amount of fresh meat in addition to meal. There are definitely variations in quality when it comes to meat meals and if you’re using a trustworthy food that obtains meal from a reliable source it’s probably an okay product however it’s never preferable to fresh meat.

#52815 Report Abuse
    Naturella

HDM, wow! Thank you for the detailed explanation! I keep learning tons over here!

I was confused, because on the rating side, Dr. Mike seems to regard “meal” as favorable/quality ingredient… Probably because of its high animal protein value, but now I need to go through my “stash” of food and see how many foods contain meal only and I will think about mixing them with some that contain more fresh meat in the ingredients. I do also use additives such as THK, raw eggs, coconut oil, RMBs, yoghurt, canned sardines, etc., so I think Bruno will be fine, but this is good information for future food shopping.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.