🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Informative article from: Drs Foster and Smith Pet Education dot com
    excerpt below

Antacids/Phosphate Binders (Maalox, Milk of Magnesia)
    Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Generic and Brand Names
    Aluminum Hydroxide: AlternaGEL,    Amphojel
    Aluminum Magnesium Hydroxide: Maalox
    Calcium Acetate: Phos-Ex, PhosLo
    Magnesium Hydroxide: Milk of Magnesia
    Calcium Carbonate: Tums
    Type of Drug
    Antacid
    Form and Storage
    Powders, suspensions, and capsules
    Store at room temperature unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
    Indications for Use
    Prevention and treatment of stomach ulcers and esophageal reflux (heartburn), reduction of hyperphosphatemia (increased amount of phosphorus in the blood) in patients with kidney failure.
    General Information
    FDA approved for use in large animals in veterinary medicine. It is an accepted practice to use these medications in small animal medicine. Available over the counter, but should always be used under the direction of a veterinarian. Because of the newer, easier to dose medications available such as cimetidine, aluminum magnesium hydroxide is not used as frequently for stomach ulcers and esophageal reflux. It is still used to reduce phosphorous levels in the blood in patients with kidney failure. Before use, consult with your veterinarian and carefully check over-the-counter (nonprescription) medications for ingredients that may be deadly to pets.
    Usual Dose and Administration
    Consult your veterinarian. Duration of treatment depends on reason for treatment and response to treatment. Pets generally do not like the taste making it difficult to get the pet to take the products.
    Side Effects
    Depending upon the product, may see lack of appetite, constipation, or diarrhea. May see electrolyte imbalances in some patients due to the levels of magnesium, aluminum, sodium, and potassium in the products.
    Contraindications/Warnings
    Do not use magnesium containing products in animals with kidney failure.
    Use with caution in patients who need restricted amounts of sodium or potassium in their diets.
    Use aluminum containing products with caution in patients with an obstruction in the stomach emptying disorders or obstruction.
    Use calcium or aluminum containing products with caution in patients with kidney disease.
    Do not use in pregnant or nursing animals.
    Long-term use can damage the kidneys; aluminum-containing products can cause muscle weakness and thinning of the bones.
    Drug or Food Interactions
    Due to changes in the acidity of the stomach, emptying time of the stomach, or by chelation of the drugs, all oral medications may be affected. If must give multiple medications, separate dosages by at least 2 hours.
    Tetracycline antibiotics may not be absorbed if given with antacids.
    Antacids may decrease the absorption or effects of chlordiazepoxide, captopril, chloroquine, cimetidine, corticosteroids, digoxin, iron salts, indomethicin, isoniazid, ketoconazole, nitrofurantoin, pancreatic enzymes, penicillamine, phenothiazines, phenytoin, ranitidine, and valproic acid.
    Antacids may increase the absorption or effects of aspirin, dicumarol, flecainide, quinidine, and sympathomimetics like ephedrine.
    Do not use calcium containing products in patients using digoxin/digitalis as abnormal heart rhythms may result.
    If using to decrease high blood phosphorus levels, give with meals.
    Overdose/Toxicity
    May see electrolyte imbalances which can cause weakness and heart arrhythmias. Long-term use of aluminum-containing products can cause muscle weakness, thinning of the bones, and aluminum toxicity. Long term use of other products can damage the kidneys.
    Summary
    Antacids should be used under the direction of a veterinarian for the treatment and prevention of stomach disorders and to lower high phosphorous levels in animals with kidney failure. Consult with your veterinarian if your pet experiences muscle weakness, constipation, diarrhea, or lack of appetite while taking antacids.

#101738 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Anon
    Your posting scare tactics now…
    All drug companies must write possible side effects on their medications, it doesn’t mean all these side effects will happen, its just a precaution…
    So what do we do, just sit back & watch our pets suffer?? I have a 8yr old dog with IBD & I have first hand experience with a very sick dog with stomach problems & I know what it’s like watching him suffer after eating meals, then he has been put on ant acid medications like Omeprazole & we have seen a BIG improvement, he’s a totally different dog now, if I read & followed your post years ago when I came onto DFA looking for answers, I would have put Patch to sleep by now, cause he wouldn’t of gotten better….
    Drug’s save lives & are needed in health problems, drugs bring comfort to one’s life that may be sick or terminally ill…
    When you suffer with an illnesses like GORDS, Barrett’s Esophagus, IBD, Stomach Ulcer’s and have pain & suffering after eating foods I bet you would take ant acid meds, what the Dr or Pharmacist has prescribe to take, to ease your pain & discomfort….so why not do the same for our pets…..
    Everything we do in this world is bad for us, so what do we do??? let your poor pets suffer, I’m so glad my poor dog isn’t one of our pets….

#101747 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Anon-

I guess I interpreted your post differently than Susan. I didn’t get the impression that you were implying pet owners should sit back and do nothing when their pets are in pain. I felt that you are simply trying to stress that any type of antacid should be given under the guidance of a veterinarian to get proper dosing and monitor reactions (pos or neg). Couldn’t agree more that a vet should be consulted when giving any type of OTC human meds. At the very least, the owner should call the clinic and get the proper dose.

As my boss told me, the difference between pharmacology and toxicology is the dose.

#101748 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ pitluv,
    Thanks, I thought if just one dog/cat owner stopped and checked with their vet before dispensing meds I might save someone and their pet some problems. 🙂
    Polypharmacy is another dangerous thing that goes on.
    How do people even know whether they are treating side effects from the meds or true symptoms?
    How do you treat a condition if you don’t know what it is?

#101750 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Anon
    Michelle P has seen a vet 3 times in 2 weeks, Michelle has even posted a posted telling you this information, but you still persist on harassing her…….
    You CAN NOT get the meds mentioned in the post, Metronidazole, Nexium, Omeprazole & Baytril from a chemist without a Prescription from a VET, it may be different in the UK but in Australia, Canada & America you need a prescription from a vet or a Dr to take to a chemist/pharmacy to get these medications…
    Google Triple Therapy medications… Metronidazole, Baytril or Amoxicillin & Omeprazole all go together & are all taken at the same time together to help kill certain bacteria of the stomach & bowel…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.