šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    melissa b

I have an 8yr old Pomeranian(Blacky) and he is having anal gland problems.Very bad! This time he has an absest and I dont know why this is happening. In the last year he has had about 6 anal gland problems! I dont want him to have surgery and from reading the info on this GREAT website I learned it is from the food. I also have a chiweenie and a chiweenie terrier mix, they have not had any problems. So any suggestions for what food might help my poor Blacky?

#69208 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Youtube has a whole bunch of “how to” videos, some dogs need this done about once a week, some may need it once a month, some may need it once in a great while…or not at all.

It’s not the food, although you do want to avoid a diet that will tend to give the dog loose stools, it has to do with their anatomy, especially small breeds (but not every dog has these issues). Sedentary lifestyle can contribute too.
    Now that he has an infection/abscess, don’t try this. The vet will have to take care of it, it may even need to be lanced. The vet may put your dog on antibiotics for a few days.
    Talk to your vet about how often your dog’s anal glands need to be expressed, if you can’t learn to do it yourself, you may have to bring him in, maybe the vet tech can do it or a groomer.
    If routine anal expression doesn’t do the trick (it should), your vet may recommend anal gland removal if Blacky has a chronic problem.

PS: I have owned dogs for 30 years, out of about 7 small dogs, 3 needed their anal glands expressed routinely and I was able to avoid surgery. I would take your dog to a vet asap….the condition you describe is very painful, the longer it goes on the more likely he will have to be lanced or be put under anesthesia to open up the pus pocket.
    I work in healthcare.

#69209 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I forgot, obesity is another contributing factor, as is age (seniors). Also, it’s important to keep the backside well groomed.

#69211 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Melissa,

I would definitely consider a food change. Your dog may very well be having a reaction to an ingredient in his food. My Golden has numerous food intolerances and when his anal gland begin to smell strong, that’s usually my first sign that he’s eaten a problem ingredient. A quick switch to one of his safe foods, thereby eliminating the offending ingredient, has always solved the problem. He’s never had to have his anal gland expressed.

I would switch your pup to a limited ingredient food. Choose a simple recipe with a protein, and preferably a binder, that he hasn’t eaten before. Keep track of the ingredients you feed him and soon you’ll begin to see common ingredient and the specific reaction that results. My favorite limited ingredient diet is Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diets.

It could also be a fiber issue. He may be needing more bulk in his diet. You could try adding some plain, canned pumpkin puree, Fruitables Digestive Supplement or some Firm Up dehydrated pumpkin.

To be safe, I’d switch foods and keep pumpkin on hand in case he develops loose stool.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.