🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    somebodysme
    Participant

I finally figured out one huge cause of my dog’s allergies…RAWHIDE! If your dog is scratching like mad and you are giving them rawhide, please try stopping that and seeing if it helps. I finally figured out that is what caused her rash. She had not had a rawhide for a long time and I gave her one and after a day, she broke out in a rash again. I never once dreamed rawhide would cause a rash and itching and her hair to start falling out! Now I’m wondering if it’s beef or something used to treat the rawhide. I guess the next thing to try is a beef neck bone. She needs something to clean her teeth.

#21671 Report Abuse
    PugsleyOtisMom
    Participant

After I cook a ham I take the leftover ham bone out of it and as long as its not sharp or small I give it to my pugs. They LOVE it and prefer it over any other chew toy. They also sell real bones at petsmart that are stuffed with different things or plain. I would recommend these to anyone

#21672 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

You shouldn’t give a dog any cooked bones. & most of those bones that they sell at pet stores break off into shards of bone because I believe they are cooked or something. I had gotten one of those for my other dog and he was breaking off big 2-3 inch shards of sharp bone. I immediately thru it away and will never buy another one. Raw marrow bones or nylabones or bully sticks are all I’ll ever give to my dog.

#21674 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

She does have a nylabone and that’s about all she can have now, she does have an antler that’s cut in half/split, she loves that thing.

Since I posted this, I’ve come to figure out that is wasn’t the rawhide that is causing the rash but it was causing her to scratch and her hair to fall out. She has not had any rawhide since and I will never give her another. There must be some chemical they use to process the hide that she is allergic to. Her scratching is gone but the rash on her back is still there. I can’t help but think it’s the Demodex that came back even though the vet said he didn’t find any evidence of it when he did a scraping. It just all adds up to Demodex, plus it doesn’t itch on the back. I’ve seen google images of Demodex that look exactly like what is on her. All of her other itching has totally gone away with a new dog food and no treats…everything BUT that stupid RASH! ARGH!!!!!!! 🙁

#21675 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They do bleach rawhides.

#21929 Report Abuse
    labgirl
    Participant

rawhides do “blow up” in the stomach and expand a lot.. my dog used to get very sick from them. ive not started using more natural treats like Bully sticks/bullwrinkles – they chew like a rawhide but are 100% digestible and cause no bloating like rawhides do. id use that instead of rawhides. more safe in my opinion

#21933 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Yes I have heard of that because some dogs swallow large chunks to rawhide without chewing them, this was not our issue though. She didn’t have any digestive problems…just terrible scratching. I suspect that the rawhide was most of her allergy problem. There was something in the Earthborn Holistics Coastal Catch that made her start scratching too though because she was taken off the rawhide after her vet appointment. It wasn’t until I, one by one, started reintroducing new things that I discovered the rawhide was an issue.

#22189 Report Abuse
    lovemypets4life
    Participant

my pitbulls allergic to rawhide also and I bought him vets choice dental bones and he LOVES them, and I especially love the fresh breath ones

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.