Actual Muscle content in Canned Beef Dog Food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Actual Muscle content in Canned Beef Dog Food

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

aimee

I recently came across the following paper
    Histologic Examination of Canned Beef Dog Food : What Does it Really contain ?
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01478885.2015.1106071

From the abstract “The percentage of meat content ranged from 0.2 to 13.6% (median 1.3%). There was no correlation between meat content and the calculated cost per ounce of food (range $0.04–$0.47; median $0.15).”

Twelve brands were tested and in five of them “beef” was the first ingredient, in one brand “beef” was the second ingredient coming after “beef broth”and in the other brands “beef” was the 5-7th ingredient.

I would have liked to have known how the products were labeled. “Beef”, “dinner” or “recipe” , “with” or “flavor”
    But even so I was surprised to see that products whose first ingredient was beef could have such a low estimated muscle content. Estimated muscle content among brands whose first ingredient was “beef” ranged from 1.2% -13.6 % And the estimated muscle content of the brand whose first ingredient was beef broth and the second was beef was only 0.5%

I think this study reaffirms that for me that trying to decipher what is in the can based on labeled ingredients is an exercise that can be pointless.

#143566 Report Abuse

crazy4cats

Interesting article, Aimee. I wish there was an easy way to decipher what is in the can!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.