šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Carlos

Hi,

We just moved from Boston to Tesuque NM and are looking for a new food for our 8 yr Old Male Shiba Inu. He’s in great shape just at 25lbs. In the city we fed him a diet of low crude fat salmon based foods but are looking for other options, especially now that he’s getting more excercise here. He’s also loves chasing the lizards, although I don’t think that’s a good diet suppliment.

Secondly do you have any thoughts on changing up the brands of foods on a regular basis? I had two cats for 8 and 12 yrs respectively who stayed on the same dried food for most of their lives, however they both eneded up with diabeties and other issues. I’m think that given a variety over a lifetime would help eliminate any long term effects staying on one food/brand might cause.

Cheers,

Carlos

#75902 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Carlos- Congrats on your move! I just moved out of New England to the south myself last year and it has been a nice change. Hope you and your family are enjoying your new home!

To answer your question, since your boy is getting up there in age you are definitely going to want to provide him with a high protein diet if you have not being doing so already. Contemporary research (even Purina’s website says this!) shows that senior dogs have an increased need for protein, unlike what was previously thought.

Variety is the spice of life for humans and dogs alike. I’m sure you would not want to eat the same old food day in day out your whole life and your dog probably wouldn’t want to either! So yes, changing brands or even just proteins can keep your dog healthy and provide him with a nice variety in his diet. Most of us on here have a few brands that we keep in a rotational diet that we change to every bag. I’m limiting my dogs brands for the moment because he has skin problems I need to address, but I’m still trying to find 2-3 foods that have wide ranges of proteins to rotate with. Both cats and dogs also benefit from a moisture rich diet, which kibble lacks.

If your cats were free fed and ate a food high in carbs that could have contributed or even caused the diabetes. I’ve always had overweight cats, however my current cat and my dog are both very healthy weights.However, I know your cats are a moot point.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Pitlove.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Pitlove.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.