šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    shelties mom
    Participant

Hi all,
    I have access to get raw, grass-fed bone meal from a local farmer. Does anyone use something like this and how do I calculate how much to add per lb of raw meat? Do I need to add in eggshells? Trying to avoid using cooked bone meal from the health food stores.

#12069 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi shelties mom –

Different bone meals contain different amounts of calcium and phosphorus so you can’t know how much to add unless you know how much calcium and phosphorus is in the bone meal. When using straight calcium (such as ground eggshell) you would add 800 – 1,000 mg. calcium per 1 lb. meat when adding bonemeal, because it contains calcium and phosphorus, you would have to add slightly more – enough to provide around 1,200 mg. calcium per 1 lb. meat. You don’t want to use eggshells and bonemeal – use one or the other.

#79904 Report Abuse
    Alex p

Calcium plays a very important role in your dog’s diet. Not only does calcium help build strong bones, it also helps heart function by supporting the contractions in the heart muscle, supports nerve transmission, muscle building and signaling, and helps with hormone secretion.

Calcium levels have the ability to remain stable in the body because calcium is stored in the bones and teeth. If the diet is low in calcium, the body will use the resources stored in these areas until more calcium is introduced into the diet. While this stored supply helps keep other body functions running smoothly, shortages of calcium can affect bone and tooth health. That is why it is always a good idea to make sure your dog has a healthy supply of calcium in the diet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.