šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CircaRigel

I’ve just discovered that all Wellness dog foods, and foods of their subsidiaries, now contain Green Tea Extract. This ingredient can cause liver toxicity in dogs, sometimes fatal. If you question this, you may look up the scientific studies about it here (which is where all doctors and veterinarians go to look up journals on research): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=dogs+green+tea+extract

Anyone feeding this to their dogs is feeding them low levels of poison, which over time could cause permanent damage and even death. I strongly suggest black balling Wellness, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack, and their other subsidiary foods that contain green tea extract.

#72866 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

That’s an interesting report, but it sort of specifically says in fasted dogs? So to me that would say that when there was already some organ shutdown, adding pure green tea extract would cause some undue harm/system shock. I’d be very wary to run around shouting that wellpet is toxic, though if you are uncomfortable, certainly stop feeding it.

#72868 Report Abuse
    El

Hi Belinda

Thank you for posting this, I had no idea that Green Tea extract could cause lethal toxicity in dogs!

I am saddened that dogs, the best friends of mankind are still used as test subjects in experiments like this.

#81524 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

The findings regarding green tea extract appear to have been based on a study published in 2009. In that early study, the dogs were fed green tea extract in a fasting state — without food and in varying doses.

Green tea extract is poorly absorbed. That is probably why the 2009 study was conducted on fasting animals — i.e. to increase bio-availability and absorption.

More importantly, a follow-up study published about 2 years later (2011) in the International Journal of Toxicology in 2011 concluded:

“Conduct of the study in nonfasted dogs under the same testing conditions and dose levels showed unremarkable results. Assuming both studies were valid, at the identified no observed adverse effect levels (NOAEL) of each study, systemic exposures (based on area under the curve [AUC]) were actually lower in fasted than nonfasted dogs, suggesting that fasting may have rendered the target organ systems potentially more vulnerable to the effects of green tea extract.”

The phrase “unremarkable results” implies the findings were within normal limits.

We’re always on the lookout for additional peer-reviewed information and commentary regarding any controversial ingredient

So, if you come across anything else (in a peer-reviewed journal, of course), please feel free to share it.

#85011 Report Abuse
    Anne B

I actually called Holistic Select, which is owned by the same company as Wellness (Wellpet).
    I asked them about the green tea, and they admitted that the green tea extract they used was sourced from CHINA, because that was the only place they could get it…..That leads me to believe that all the Wellpet brands are using CHINA-SOURCED green tea extract…..I can’t believe this, and don’t trust Wellpet brands any longer…

#137489 Report Abuse
    Christine S

My dog suffered acute liver toxicity on 3/24/19. Her livery enzymes were through the roof and she was quite ill.
    She had been eating Wellness Core kibbles. When she became ill, she refused to eat them anymore, but was happy to eat other food offerings. Her health and liver enzymes have continued to improve since I stopped feeding her that garbage.
    I thought I was paying more to give her good quality nutrition and instead I was giving her a lethal poison and setting myself up for $3,000 in vet bills. DON’T FEED YOUR DOGS FOOD WITH GREEN TEA EXTRACT!

#137526 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I feed Holistic Select, did the vet tell you this?? I found this article so now I don’t know what to believe. I think all dog food has something wrong with it. Purina for an example has Vitamin k, and they say it can be linked to liver damage, however a lot of dogs eat it and they are fine. I am glad your dog is getting better, and appreciate you posting your experience.
    ttps://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/06/17/green-tea-benefits-for-pets.aspx
    This article states it was only in fasted dogs, but not the others. She claims it is not harmful in small amounts, just like Purina said about the vitamin k. I guess every dog handles minerals differently I suppose.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by joanne l.
    #138731 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Did the vet say green tea extract in dog food can cause this?? I am wondering what everyone thinks about this?? I agree not liking it because it is from china. I called Wellpet and asked to remove it if they can. They ask me why? I said a lot of people don’t like it and I feel that it makes the dogs not like the food. I said this because it is true my dog hates all wellpet products, he eats Holistic Select but not enthused about it so I might change his diet. Anyway, they said it is “our preservative” I said I am sure you can find another preservative, after all I don’t see it in many dog foods anyway. So they said they will take it under consideration.

#138863 Report Abuse
    Ana C

You are correct that all dog food have something wrong with it. The lastet is that Hillā€™s Science Diet prescription food iD have elevated Vitamin D. Itā€™s hard to imagine.

I donā€™t use Wellness Core because of the high fiber % and some other reasons from a study. In human food, we know that we are buying – chicken, beef, fish, green beans, potatoes… because we buy each ingredient separately. In dog food, we buy kibbles and there are at least 20-30 ingredients in the kibbles. Do anybody really know what we are buying? Who is responsible to verify those ingredients and what nutrients are left in the kibbles after the high temperature production?

I guess thatā€™s why people are suggesting to rotate through a few different brand of kibbles so the dogs will not be getting the same toxins day in and day out.

#140954 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I remembered this post, and now I am wondering about this food. I give my dog Holistic Select, and the food first of all has been inconsistent in color and size. My dog is now refusing to eat this and is willing to eat other foods. He is not feeling well so I took him off the food cooking for him right now until I find anther food. I seen your post but thought nothing of it b/c there is something with every food, but when you see a reaction thenit is time to stop feeding.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.