Forum Replies Created
For digestive enzymes, I’m using Enzyme Miracle. It seems to be the only plant based digestive enzyme with good reviews that I could find. The instructions says about a scoop (provided in the container) per cup, so I’ve been giving her a scoop per serving of food. http://www.amazon.com/Enzymes-Dogs-Miracle-Digestive-Servings/dp/B002RNZDYG
As for kefir, I haven’t been able to find kefir grains anywhere in my area. I’ve been using store bought kefir, which almost always uses cow’s milk. I heard you can order kefir grains online, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m not sure if Koji has any intolerance to lactose, or beef, but I would maybe suggest making your own kefir out of water or maybe goat’s milk (which is what I’m trying next). I would say maybe give a week, but that’s a very rough estimate. Some may take longer, some may only take a couple days, and some may see no actual difference. I give my pup about 3-4 tablespoons a day, but I divide it into her 2 servings… so 1-2 tbsp per serving. I started with 1 tbsp per day and worked it up to the amount I’m giving her now, to avoid any digestive upsets.
Hopefully your vet is able to provide you with better information and input on kefir and the enzymes. Fingers crossed that you might be able to see enough of an improvement, and delay (and possibly not have to at all have) the surgery. Best of luck to your and your little family!
- This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Jennifer Y.
Sorry to hear about Koji. I unfortunately don’t have much advice for your situation. Since posting about Nimbus’ Nutriscan results, we’ve done a bit of trial and error on raw meat proteins with her diet, but my situation wasn’t as dire as your’s. I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now.
I personally take the Nutriscan results with a grain of salt. She does fine with most of the food she’s apparently reactive to according to Nutriscan. I’ve been giving her Kefir and plant-based digestive enzymes to help break down her food as well, because I do believe she has a sensitive stomach. Maybe try adding those to Koji’s meals?
Regardless, I hope you find answers soon and some extra cuddles for Koji!
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have spoken to my vet about the results, and have considered contacting the holistic vet at my vet clinic. My dog’s insensitivity reactions has been mild enough that my vet and I decided to try an elimination diet.
Over the past 2 years, if I try to recall her vet appointments along with the kibble I feed her, she seems to be reactive to something in Orijen Regional Red. I believe it’s pork (since it’s the highest reactive ingredient that came back on the Nutriscan test as well). To play it safe, I began her on an elimination diet. So far, so good. No hot spots and no eye infections. When I get around to testing out pork, I will find out whether it’s been the culprit.
Susan, thanks for your input about the rice, duck and lamb. But the test indicated not to feed her anything that she showed a reaction to (mild or otherwise) in either IgA and IgM results. She unfortunately showed a medium reaction in lamb (IgA), strong reaction in duck (IgA) and a strong reaction in rice (IgA). Against the suggestion of the results, however, I have tried lamb in her elimination diet, and she seems to be doing alright. I do believe there is merit to Dr. Dodd’s test, and I trust her research. But in the case of my dog, I don’t think her intolerances are as severe as the test makes it seem. I’ve been giving her probiotics and coconut oil, which may have played a part in her doing better on her current food as well. I am also considering starting her on raw, but I’m still in the process on researching about raw before I fully dive into it.
Once again, thank you everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate it 🙂
Thanks for the reply L M! She’s never had any skin testings or any type of testing for environmental allergies. I will be bringing that up at the next visit to the vet on Thursday.
One of the vets at the our clinic is actually a homeopath, and I will be requesting an appointment with her shortly as well to discuss a solution or alternative to handling the situation.
If all else fails, I will consider taking her to a dermatologist. Hopefully I’ll get to the bottom of this and find a diet that works best for her.
Thank you so much again, for the article as well as options I can take.