šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SunnyD

I have 2 yorkies that are 11 years old. Last fall my female yorkie was diagnosed with a heart murmur and Congestive Heart Failure. At the time both dogs were eating Nature’s Variety Raw duck bites. The vet had me switch her to a low sodium diet of prescription HD wet food. I hate the corn and other fillers in the prescription food. Currently, she is on enalapril, furosemide and vetmedin. I have to give her her pills twice per day (all in one Allergy formula Pill Pocket). She gobbles it right up. I try to give her as little of the pill pocket as possible because I have no idea how much sodium they have. I would love to switch her back to the Nature’s Variety Raw duck bites. Is that a safe low sodium diet for CHF? Any supplements she should be taking? Or other recommendations? Thanks.

#53884 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Sunny, the only way to find out sodium levels is to email the companies, I know Wellness has low sodium foods…email to make sure but I’m sure I read somewhere how wellness foods are low in sodium…

#53893 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi SunnyD,

Looks like the NVI raw duck bites are a good choice with sodium at .27%.

The product also includes heart, which is excellent glandular therapy.

Here’s a couple of threads you might also be interested in:
    /forums/topic/food-and-supplements-for-my-cavi-with-heart-murmur/; /forums/topic/dry-dog-food-with-low-salt-and-low-fat/

#53894 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

BTW, the sodium in your Hill’s h/d Canine Cardiac Health canned food is .07%.

#53898 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m glad you are limiting the amount of pill pocket. They are a bit salty.

#54316 Report Abuse
    SunnyD

Thanks so much for your help. So, the sodium in the Nature’s Valley RAW duck bites is much higher than the Hill’s prescription HD canned food? Now, I feel awful for switching her back to the NV. @DogFoodie

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by SunnyD.
    #54326 Report Abuse
    SunnyD

DogFoodie, do you think i should feed the Nature Variety’s raw or the Hill’s prescription HD with the lower sodium content?

#54380 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

sunnyd….here is a site (for Cavaliers, I have 3) that is good reading about CHF and all the meds you are giving your little doggie. I’m not sure you have to worry so much about the sodium contents of your foods, seems like I read that somewhere on this site. http://www.cavalierhealth.org

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.