šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jackie T

I have been reading the ingredients on Dr. Tim’s grain-free formula, porcine plasma is listed. In layman’s terms is this pig blood? if so, is there any danger of the disease, that has killed thousands of pigs in this country, being transmitted to our dogs?

#41710 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Plasma is the liquid component of the blood that remains after the cells are removed. Porcine plasma is essentially pig’s blood with the cells removed. The plasma that appears in pet foods is generally spray-dried. Some have an issue with the ingredient, others don’t.

I’m not sure exactly which “disease that has killed thousands of pigs” you’re referring to, there are many diseases that can be contracted by all animals – pigs included – but if you’re referring to Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDv) you may find this comforting:

“Recent publicity concerning the transmission of PEDv has resulted in questions about the potential role of spray dried porcine plasma and porcine red cells in the spread of this disease. Based on current scientific evidence, collected and processed porcine blood and porcine blood products are safe and do not contribute to the spread of PEDv.”

More here: Spray Dried Porcine Blood Products Are Safe Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus

If you’re referring to circovirus:

“PCV2 DNA and antibodies are commonly found in commercial spray-dried plasma. However, no evidence of infectivity of the PCV2 DNA was found in naĆÆve pigs when commercial spray-dried plasma was included in the diet under the conditions of this study.”

More here: Commercially produced spray-dried porcine plasma contains increased concentrations of porcine circovirus type 2 DNA but does not transmit porcine circovirus type 2 when fed to naĆÆve pigs

Here are a few articles with various opinions on the use of spray-dried plasma as an animal feed ingredient, they may help you form an opinion:

Blood Meal ā€” Dog Food Ingredient or Fertilizer for Your Garden?

Spray Dried Plasma – Dr. Becker

Porcine Plasma Proteins for Feed Intake and Health

Here’s some information from two companies who utilize spray-dried plasma in their foods:

Nature’s Logic

Wysong

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #41719 Report Abuse
    Jackie T

Hound Dog Mom – Thank you for the quick response and all of the info you provided, I really appreciate your thorough reply and links

#41734 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Jackie T, I can’t compare with the amount and quality of information that Hound Dog Mom gave you – I can just share my experience with Dr. Tim’s Kinesis Grain Free – my Bruno did great on it and I was happy to see a different ingredient (porcine plasma) than usual. That’s all I can say.

#41739 Report Abuse
    Jackie T

Thanks for the feedback Naturella

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.