🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I’ve been looking for cheaper ways to feed raw for awhile now. I just found a co-op that I can buy from. I don’t have extra freezers for cases of product so I was looking at a grind/mix that they have called Performance Dog (link: http://tarrahlabs.com/tt/pd.html). I would like the thoughts/opinions of experienced raw feeders. Does this look like a good product? Is it complete and balanced? I like to feed half Honest Kitchen. Would this be ok to mix with it?

Ingredients: Beef, Tripe, Trachea, Finely Ground Bone, Salt, Egg & Trace Minerals
    Meeting AAFCO Specifications for Maintenance & Reproduction

Guaranteed Analysis • No Preservatives
    Protein 14%
    Fat 10%
    Fiber 0.85%
    Calcium 0.13%
    Phosphorus 0.14%
    Ash 1.30%

They also add a vitamin/mineral mix.
    Ingredients: calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-biotin, vitamin D-3 supplement, cobalt sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, sodium selenite and mineral oil.

Thanks,
    Caroline

#31009 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Your best bet is to reply to Hound Dog Mom over on the review side in “Off Topic” and ask her to look at this. She’s the best at looking at things like thios and figuring out what you ought to add, or whatever. Off the top of my head, I wonder what is wrong with it that it is AAFCO for maintenance and reproduction but not growth. And I wonder why they would put minera oil in it. Mineral oil binds with fat soluable vitamins and pulls them out of the food so they can’t be used. Then there’s the menadione, that shouldn’t be in there at all. I don’t even know what ethylenediamine dihydriodide is, but I’ve seen it listed before.

#31010 Report Abuse

Hmmm…those sound like red flags to me. I think I’d better leave it alone. Thanks for the help Patty!

#87151 Report Abuse
    patricia M

I feed this to my Corgie with terrific results. Raw is the way to go.

Great product and friendly service.

#90709 Report Abuse
    Wendy R

Tefco does not have enough protein variety. It’s pretty much all beef. And for health of dogs you should vary the protein fed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.