Suggestions for dog food (suspected allergies)

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Suggestions for dog food (suspected allergies)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kathy B

Our large breed dog is continuously chewing, licking her paws and I suspect it might be food allergies. She currently is on ProPlan Savor for Large Breeds. Rather than jump in with allergy tests I was hoping for some suggestions on a food change. I understand chicken is a potential problem but then also grains. Any suggestions on something to try that is good for dogs with allergies? We do like to feed high quality food. Thank you!

#165136 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

It is more common to have environmental allergies the food allergies . As i understand it ,characteristics of food allergy are signs starting under 1 year of age, Itchy butts and ears, Skin signs combined with GI signs like more than 2 stools a day and “sensitive stomach” make food allergy be more likely than environmental. Itchy paws alone may more commonly be environmental signs. Some dogs have both.

Parasite or bacterial or yeast infections and contact reactions can also cause itching. Best place to start is at your veterinarian. There are no accurate tests for food allergy. Very specific diet trials are used to diagnose. Additionally, testing for environmental allergies is done to select which allergens to include for desensitization, not to diagnose allergy.

I believe that there are foods in the Pro Plan line formulated for skin support.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.